Need some advice for best way to approach workflow in Edius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice for best way to approach workflow in Edius

Hey there. So I made the jump to Edius because it handles the media files well and the multicam mode is easy to work with. The active community here is also a real asset. You've been very helpful from the start for me.

I actually tried Edius out with an ongoing project that I will be working on over the next two years. The project involves recording/editing/delivering multicam classroom teaching. The classes consist of a single subject being taught over four nights. I have the first day of my first class edited now.

As I prepare to edit the second class session I wondered if there's a "best way" to proceed. I want to nail down a good workflow here before I get settled in any bad habits. I've got a learning curve ahead of me so any input would be very helpful.

One question right off the top is, should I start a new project for each class day/session or simply a start a new sequence? Any other tips for understanding and streamlining workflow would be very welcome.

Thanks!

There are many ways that people work as EDIUS is very customizable. I may not understand all that you are doing, but I would set all of this up in one project and use multiple sequences in that project.
    1. Be very organized in your Bin. Right click on the main Root folder and create any New folders that you like. You can also create any subfolders as needed. You can move or copy files from folder to folder.
    2. Create a folder just for sequences.
    3. Be sure and rename your sequences. Do so by DOUBLE right clicking on the sequence tab itself and typing.
    4. Keep all of your files and media (and probably the EDIUS Project itself) in one project folder.
    5. Back everything up!
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Well, based on that, I probably need to reorganize some things already. My first project uses a portable SSD with two main folders under the root name of the drive... each of the main folders have subfolders. One main folder is called "Media Files" which contains project subfolders with media. The other main folder called "Edius Projects" contains the project subfolders and the files that Edius produces.

Is there an easy way to move everything under a main folder and not mess up the project? I would like to get things organized properly on the finished sequence before starting into the next class day.

BTW, I'm editing the classes while on the road... using a laptop and a portable SSD (T7)... then archiving on a different portable drive. I'm not using the laptop SSD for any video although there's plenty of space. Any reason to handle the storage differently than I am right now?

Thanks again.

Comment

Figured out how to move things around and fix resulting timeline issues using "Restore Offline Clip". Thankfully, it's quick and easy. Really learning to like Edius.

Comment

Personally I agree with Pat, but I will throw out one point to consider regarding the single project with multiple time lines versus multiple projects question, and ultimately it is a question only you can answer.

If you you anticipate having a large amount of files as the project continues over the two years, it might be better to use multiple projects so that the project database doesn't get incredibly large. The more files there are for an NLE to track, the longer it takes to scan and load them when starting up. I have never worked on something that potentially could be as large/long as you are talking about so I don't know if the save times would be an issue with something that large either.

With that in mind, I would probably break it up into smaller chunks, like a project a month or a project a semester per course if there is more than one course being edited.
          Edius WG 9.55.7303, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Originally posted by tosok View Post
            Thanks for the input.

Well, based on that, I probably need to reorganize some things already. My first project uses a portable SSD with two main folders under the root name of the drive... each of the main folders have subfolders. One main folder is called "Media Files" which contains project subfolders with media. The other main folder called "Edius Projects" contains the project subfolders and the files that Edius produces.

Is there an easy way to move everything under a main folder and not mess up the project? I would like to get things organized properly on the finished sequence before starting into the next class day.

BTW, I'm editing the classes while on the road... using a laptop and a portable SSD (T7)... then archiving on a different portable drive. I'm not using the laptop SSD for any video although there's plenty of space. Any reason to handle the storage differently than I am right now?

Thanks again.
            handling your media drives like that should be fine. It's always best to use a dedicated medi drive instead of the internal drive so reads and writes happen independent of the os functions.

I would also recommend making a virus scanner exclusion to your media drives, the program files\grass valley folder\ and the hidden AppData\Roaming\Grass Valley folder. This keeps your virus scanner from slowing down access to the media of interfering with any edius functions.
            Edius WG 9.55.7303, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

That's helpful. I will treat each course (a four day class) as a unique project... each day of the course as a sequence. That is about 12 hours max per project. I'll also look into the virus scanner exclusion. That's new to me. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I totally agree with Bern if the project begins to get too unwieldy. That depends a lot on the power of your computer. Are you moving clips to a different computer for presentation or doing everything off of your laptop?
                1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Using the laptop to edit. Then upload to YouTube for delivery... and also possibly burn discs if requested. The laptop is running on the i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz with 64GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design w/8GB VRAM.

Comment

Does your laptop have a single physical hard drive or does it happen to have 2?

Comment

Just one. It's a 2TB

Comment

I'll weigh in on this. I usually work with a single project setup. This came from an issue I had many years ago with Edius. I used to use multiple sequences until I had a project
                        that became corrupt and I was unable to recover a good portion of the project.
                        Now, I just do a single project and it has worked quite well for me. Where you have multiple lessons, individual projects would work quite well for you. Where you are limited with drive space,
                        individual projects would probably be your best course of action.
                        I would recommend backing up your project as you move forward with the lessons. If your laptop has USB-C options for external drives, you might want to invest in at least 1 of these for extra space and
                        speed.

You will also need to have some sort of large external storage for your finished projects. It would help us in the future if you add the full specs to what you are using.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com
                        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Working...
                        X