Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to not use background rendering with standard export ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to not use background rendering with standard export ?

For a special use case I'd like to bypass background rendering and start standard export directly as it used to work before Edius X. I am happy to wait for the rendered result watching the progess bar.

Is that feasible somehow ?

I was on Edius 9.5 and upgraded to X. In the beginning standard export displayed the usual progress bar. After a number of exports it suddenly started backround rendering forcing me to use GV Job Monitor and still does. So there must be a way.

How can I bypass this ?
    Last edited by hotte; 04-05-2021, 11:03 AM.

Originally posted by hotte View Post
    For a special use case I'd like to bypass background rendering and start standard export directly as it used to work before Edius X. I am happy to wait for the rendered result watching the progess bar.

Is that feasible somehow ?

I was on Edius 9.5 and upgraded to X. In the beginning standard export displayed the usual progress bar. After a number of exports it suddenly started backround rendering forcing me to use GV Job Monitor and still does. So there must be a way.

How can I bypass this ?
    But the GV Job Monitor shows the progress bar (in green; far right) for the current job being rendered, see screenshot:
    - Red arrow: "Status" ... Progress bar
    - Blue arrow: Remaining time
    kurt
    Attached Files
    Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro / EdiusX-WG (10.20)/ Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / Resolve-17.3.00014 Studio / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
    // Read > Test > Understand

Comment

Thanks @kpot.
      The progess bar is not what I was looking for.
      I want to have standard export running in the foreground, blocking all other edits like it worked before Edius X.
      Unfortunately an option "run in the foreground / run in the background" which is common for applications that have a background batch processor seems to be missing in Edius X.
      It does not always make sense to run things in the background (but this is not the discussion I'd like to start here).
      So I am just simply looking for a workaround.
      Last edited by hotte; 04-05-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

The short answer is no you can't - everything used the job monitor. It would be a feature request to ask for direct export back. Adobe did this when they introduced media encoder with cs4 and then brought direct export back with a later version. The only benefit though is if direct export is faster.
        EDIUS silver certified trainer.
        Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Too bad. Although, as I reported, it had direct export for a while until it suddenly switched (without any update). So direct export still exists in the code.

How do I make a feature request ?

I'd rather say that an option for foreground processing for standard export has either been forgotten or did not fit into the sprint. But there is no reason to not offer it: I find that foreground processing especially for final standard exports makes at least the same sense as does background. Not because of speed (that probably makes no difference) but just simply you do not want to apply any more changes to your project by the time you do the final export. And in many cases you are ready to wait until everything is done. You have to anyway.
          Timeline-rendering of cause is a different story.

Comment

EDIUS X never had direct export. The only part that does is if you use a file conversion in the bin but that is limited to only converting source files and only to a limited number of codecs.
            If there is no difference in speed then I don't see any need to have a direct export. If you finished you can just close EDIUS or start another project whilst the last one exports. I think there is a bit of a difference in speed myself - if only for the few extra seconds it takes for the job monitor to start exporting.
            EDIUS silver certified trainer.
            Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
            Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
            Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
              EDIUS X never had direct export
              As I wrote: I had it in my new Edius X installation for a couple of exports. Believe it or not: It was there with standard export and it worked like in Edius 9.5 for a couple of days until it suddenly switched to GVJM.
              The rest is just a question of pov: Background rendering adds some new opportunities but it also forces you into a more complicated workflow if you only want to see instant results. Also start of instant export is a bit sluggish.
              I`d prefer to have a choice (especially with standard export) like it is common to other applications with background processors.
              Last edited by hotte; 04-07-2021, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X