• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Subtitle with Edius... ouch

Good morning everyone,

I hope you’re okay,

me, I don’t feel good!

I’ve been doing subtitles for a feature documentary for three months (with more than an hour and 20 minutes of speech) it’s the first time I’ve done that, and let’s say that it’s all done in a hurry and in a hurry (I’ll skip the details).

So I worked mainly on Edius 9, creating "title" files, and I just learned that they were non-exportable in SRT...

After many researches and desperate appeal I do not see any other solutions than to start all over again on a real captioning software... I leave me another day of research before starting from scratch (the film is translated in 3 languages...) but the mood today is desperate.. I hope you’ll give me some light.

Thank,

(I'm really sorry for my English, I assure you it is not me who made the translation of subtitle haha)

Jules

Vistitle wil make it easier.
    Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

If I have to go through Vistitle I sign right away, but do I guarantee to be able to export my "TITLE" track in text or SRT? if I need to write again all the subtitle it's not a very good solution

Comment

Here you go:
        http://www.hkvisdom.com/index.php/pr...itle-features/

Specifically check the subtitle section. Hope this helps.

(Also if you do a search here there are many informative threads on this subject.)
        Steve

Comment

Are you planning on broadcasting the documentary? If so, you should use Closed Captions. You can create CC in Subtitle Edit by way of SCC files and import them into Edius.

If you just want subtitles for web or personal viewing Vistitle would be the easiest method, but you would need to purchase Vistitle.
          Subtitle Edit would be a free option for both Subtitles and Closed Captioning.

There will be a learning curve for either program.

​​​
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com
          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I see nothing on how to convert a Title track in Subtitle track in Visititle, somebody have test ?

if I can't do this it’s not quite a solution because I’m going to have to start all over again...

I will search here, thank you for your time !

Comment

You cannot convert your QuickTitle titles to VisTitle titles so unfortunately whatever you do you will have to start again. I would also do a couple of titles and a short export test to make sure it is making exactly what you want whichever method you choose, before redoing the whole thing.
              EDIUS silver certified trainer.
              Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
              Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
              Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Sorry you have to import your dialog text in Vistitle and add markers for timing, For time code markers you can use the EDIUS marker exporter (third-party) but I think it is best to do the timing in Vistitle.

Suggestion by Jerry is indeed another option.
                Steve

Comment

It's a documentary for DVD and probably Netflix lol, I'm dead.

Ok I'm dumb but in which world I can’t export a "TITLE TRACK" into a text, I want to die :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by JulesB View Post
                    It's a documentary for DVD and probably Netflix lol, I'm dead.

Ok I'm dumb but in which world I can’t export a "TITLE TRACK" into a text, I want to die :mad:
                    NO Need to die.
                    It is not that difficult

Go trough the timeline
                    Select each title
                    Press Z on you keyboard
                    Set an in and out marker

When you have done all titles, save the project

Export the markers to xml from the marker palette.

Use notepad++ for example to match the text from your Dialog document with your timecodes.

Save. Import to Vistitle or another Subtitle program export....... done.

This is an example of what was done for a translation output was xml in this case but you can save to text. Just check the requirements of the program you are importing to. Most of it is set by standards.

translate xml.png

If you are not comfortable doing this you can out source it. To be honest I think with a little patience you can do this. :)
                    Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 03-19-2021, 01:20 PM.
                    Steve

Comment

Thank but now I looking for another solution, the movie is in three language, all of them have different TC, and the text is not cut so it will take many many time to copy all in front of a TC with probably few error (I take 3 month before, I have a total of 9000 subtitle... I can't restart now, it's for the next week)

I search for an application who can spotted a text in a vidéo, they can do it for the sound so why not... I think it's my only issue, thx every body

Comment

You should look into a Closed Captioning service. Netflix will probably require Closed Captions on the documentary.

You should contact Netflix to get the required file specifications and whether they require Closed Captions or subtitles.
                        These are 2 different things.
                        Last edited by Jerry; 03-19-2021, 06:49 PM.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com
                        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          You should look into a Closed Captioning service. Netflix will probably require Closed Captions on the documentary.
                          Subtitle Edit can also save in Netflix timed text formats, as wall as SRT and SCC, and many other formats. It really is a great tool for the price! ($0.00)

Unfortunately there is no easy way to convert all of your quicktitle cards to timed text or SRT directly without doing something like Steve has outlined above. As for the different languages, if you are doing this process for each language, ausiming you have each language on a separate timeline layer, duplicate the timeline, once for each language and then remove 2 of the 3 layers and repeat the process once for each language version of the timeline. It will be large amounts of work for sure, but it is probably easier than starting completely from scratch in another software.
                          Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.6.0, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

I think I have find a solution, some old software can translate a text in video into a SRT with the time-code, I have to export all the movie in three langage on a black background and find the good software.
                            It looks like a gift from heaven, all I have to do is run one of these old software, it's not easy at all (I have test 4 of them, I managed to make none work, but I don't despair..!)

Thank for help

Comment

Perhaps if you would like to share the names of these old softwares, it may help someone else in the future or allow some of us that are interested in furthering our knowledge figure out other problems you may run into. :-)
                              Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.6.0, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Working...
                              X