Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exporting a MP4 with a timing starting at a precize time

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exporting a MP4 with a timing starting at a precize time

    Hello experts

    During these Covid period, I am very busy with digitalization of old family films and videos. Generally, these people are no longer able to watch their precious souvenirs (broken projectors or videoplayer).
    So I capture the entire documents and send them very lights MP4's with Timecode included in the frame. They can then select the sequence they really want to hold.
    The chronometer stars at 00:00:00:00 and may goes up to more then 20 hours. So I export in smalls MP4's files of around 30 minutes. Timecode is continuous up to the end.
    I have then to cut in Edius and delete what was discarded before working on the restoration of the essential.

    The question : when exporting to MP4, I would like that the chronometers of the each file starts exactly at the same timing then the Edius Timecode.

    Is this possible ?

    Thanks in advance


    Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

    Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

    Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.54.6706 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

  • #2
    If you have your big timeline export between in and out markers every 30 mins.
    alternatively the START timecode of any sequence can be set to whatever you wish.
    I would add that splitting into smaller sequences is easier for editing in these situations as you start from the back and work towards the front closing the gaps as you go.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post
      If you have your big timeline export between in and out markers every 30 mins.
      alternatively the START timecode of any sequence can be set to whatever you wish.
      I would add that splitting into smaller sequences is easier for editing in these situations as you start from the back and work towards the front closing the gaps as you go.
      I understand your answer to facilitate the editing. But my objective is to have each mp4 file starting at a specific time to be in accordance with the Edius time line. I have the objective to create a list with in and out points by simply cliking on the MP4 file where it is.

      Thanks anyway
      Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

      Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

      Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.54.6706 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

      Comment


      • #4
        Do you mean that the mp4's have the EDIUS timeline timecode displayed so that the client's can tell you what segment they want and then easy for you to find that in your original edit ? Select timeline timecode for preview settings and then in export check the box for show timecode. That should print timeline timecode on your output. You will need to turn off preview display of timecode when you edit though as well as uncheck box for show timecode when you make final file for client.
        Last edited by Ron Evans; 02-28-2021, 06:46 PM.
        Ron Evans

        Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

        ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18


        Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
          Do you mean that the mp4's have the EDIUS timeline timecode displayed so that the client's can tell you what segment they want and then easy for you to find that in your original edit ? Select timeline timecode for preview settings and then in export check the box for show timecode. That should print timeline timecode on your output. You will need to turn off preview display of timecode when you edit though as well as uncheck box for show timecode when you make final file for client.
          Your digest is complete and correct, and this is what I do actually. But the client has to write a list with IN and OUT points. That's a long job for the client and for myself to put the same points on the Timeline.

          My idea is to automize as much as possible all these steps. The base is that all MP4's have the same inside chronometers then the Timeline.

          Les'st take MP4 "#03-holidays in Orlando". The start point of the MP4 files should not be 00:00:00:00 but the same then the TimeLine Timecode as (for exemple) 00:58:43:05 (with the same inserted TimeCode in the image).

          Thanks to follow.
          Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

          Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

          Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.54.6706 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

          Comment


          • #6
            you can export your timeline sections with the timeline TC super imposed at the bottom

            Anton-01126.png Anton-01125.png
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

            EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

            Comment


            • #7
              Time-code.jpgWell, following your answers (and thanks for your time), I have not been clear enough. Sorry for that. A picture is worth 1000 words
              So the probleme is not the incrustation of the time code in the video but the clock generated by the reader or the MP4 itself. What I need is the same clock in the reader (bottom) then in the video...
              Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

              Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

              Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.54.6706 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Haddock View Post

                Your digest is complete and correct, and this is what I do actually. But the client has to write a list with IN and OUT points. That's a long job for the client and for myself to put the same points on the Timeline.

                My idea is to automize as much as possible all these steps. The base is that all MP4's have the same inside chronometers then the Timeline.

                Les'st take MP4 "#03-holidays in Orlando". The start point of the MP4 files should not be 00:00:00:00 but the same then the TimeLine Timecode as (for exemple) 00:58:43:05 (with the same inserted TimeCode in the image).

                Thanks to follow.
                The mp4 container does not support an embedded timecode track, if that is what you mean by “inside chronometer”. Without an embedded timecode track, all clips have to start from 00:00:00:00

                MP4 does allow for a custom metadata track that some manufacturers use to include timecode information, but since it isn’t an actual timecode track not everything will read it.

                If you want an embedded timecode, you have to use a container that supports it, such as .mov or .mxf. Your client would also have to be able to play those file types.

                Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.5.6, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is what I want to obtain

                  The idea is that the client read the "mp4".
                  He stops the video where he wants an IN point.
                  Then he goes in a other window (where stands a specific recording program). He clicks in a box "IN POINT" and the Time code is recorded automatically in the same format then the one use by Edius in the marker table.
                  The client starts the reading of the video again until he wants a stop (where he wants an "OUT POINT")...
                  Then he goes in the other window where he can click in a box "OUT POINT" and the Time code is recorded automatically (in the same format then the one use by Edius in the marker table.)
                  The recording program generates an IN/OUT section in the same compatible cvs file that Edius uses and can import... including an commentary if needed.

                  I just have to import the csv file in Edius and edit following the marker table....

                  If MP4 can't starts at a specific time, the client will have to encode manually (in the specific program) the time code showed on screen. Actually, they are transmitting me the IN/OUT points with Word or Excel....
                  Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

                  Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

                  Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.54.6706 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BernH View Post
                    The mp4 container does not support an embedded timecode track, if that is what you mean by “inside chronometer”. Without an embedded timecode track, all clips have to start from 00:00:00:00

                    MP4 does allow for a custom metadata track that some manufacturers use to include timecode information, but since it isn’t an actual timecode track not everything will read it.

                    If you want an embedded timecode, you have to use a container that supports it, such as .mov or .mxf. Your client would also have to be able to play those file types.
                    Thanks for these confirmation. So with "mov" and the reader installed on their PC (easy to download), that woul be possible ?
                    Then how to export in MOV (Edius parameters) to have a light video with the “inside chronometer” ?
                    Thanks for your time
                    Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

                    Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

                    Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.54.6706 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Haddock View Post

                      Thanks for these confirmation. So with "mov" and the reader installed on their PC (easy to download), that woul be possible ?
                      Then how to export in MOV (Edius parameters) to have a light video with the “inside chronometer” ?
                      Thanks for your time
                      With Edius 8, as is in your signature, you have to install quicktime 7 and use the quicktime exporter plugin to get an mov file. When you are asked to name the file, you can click the settings button to enter the approriate encoding settigns, however, Edius does not seem to write a timecode track in these files, even though the container supports it.

                      I have Edius 9 running, and I have a H.264/AVC MOV exporter that does save the embedded timecode in the file, however, I am not sure if this was in Edius 8. If this is there, you simply use the same encoding settings that you used for an MP4. Both options use the same codec, only the container is different.
                      Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.5.6, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK, thank you. I will learn that and see with my programmer writter ... it will take somedays... and I will be back to give news.

                        Thanks Bern ... and Anton for follow-up.
                        Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

                        Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

                        Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.54.6706 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X