No announcement yet.

what do you do to convert a .dat file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you do to convert a .dat file?

hey guys, so was filming an event today and 90 minutes in I got ERR 02 stating that my card could not be read
    - one of the video files is now .dat and not .mp4

I've tried 2 suggested programs to convert but neither work so far any ideas/?
    www.skysimonephotography.com
    www.skysimonefilm.com
    www.facebook.com/skysimonephoto

Laptop:
    ASUS - 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD - Metal Star Gray
    Edius Pro 9 Windows 10

contact the manufacturer of your camera for instructions on how to finalize an unfinalized clip
    maybe the user manual has instructions?

BE SURE NOT TO FORMAT THE CARD until you finalized the clip in the camera
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 02-18-2021, 12:32 AM.
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Hey Anton, no Canon have NO information on this. appaerntly a lot of Canon users have had this issue and not had a resolution.
      There's a program you can buy for $130 that will repair broken DAT files, but I found a guy named Richard online who repairs them for $20 USD so I just paid him to fix it
      www.skysimonephotography.com
      www.skysimonefilm.com
      www.facebook.com/skysimonephoto

Laptop:
      ASUS - 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD - Metal Star Gray
      Edius Pro 9 Windows 10

Comment

let us know if he could fix it
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

GH5's have the problem when using the battery grip and changing the grip battery without stopping and powering off the camera. If one waits for the camera to switch to the internal battery for a while it is fine. So it is possible to power and record for ever swapping batteries and cards but one has to follow the process. Wait for the battery to switch itself and card to switch. User error can mess the whole process up !! Having done this once I now switch off camera , take out card before changing battery. In most instances I do not need to do this for over 1 1/2 hours so usually get to do this in a break. So it is not just Canon.
          Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

I had this once on Sony NX5 years ago and thereafter always waited a short while before switching camera off
            System Asus WS Z390 Pro MB, CPU i9 9900K, 32gb 3000mhz Ram, EVGA GTX1070TI, BM IP4K Win 10, BD Burner 1 Evo 840 and 4 Hotswap caddies
            Plugins Vistitle 2.8, TP7, NB TFX5
            Monitors Samsung 32 inch tv as main 1 LG M2350D,1 D2343 1 DM2350D as output to (3D) IP4K, PXW X70,Canon FX400

Comment

I have seen that many have had this happening but it seams to be easily recovered data that can be repaired by using recovery software, it sees in the data that this file is a video file it builds the video file from it.
              JoiCam´s
              Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
              2: 17" Laptop i7 w: Edius 9 Workgroup
              3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
              4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
              Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
              Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
              And more

Comment

Originally posted by tryingtolearn View Post
                hey guys, so was filming an event today and 90 minutes in I got ERR 02 stating that my card could not be read
                - one of the video files is now .dat and not .mp4

I've tried 2 suggested programs to convert but neither work so far any ideas/?
                Try these they are free.

https://www.apowersoft.com/convert-dat-to-mp4.html

Comment

Working...
                X