Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to switch 50i project to 50p and back? Can Edius X do that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to switch 50i project to 50p and back? Can Edius X do that?

Does anybody know how to change 50i project to 50p ?
    Can Edius X do that?

When Im editing for TV - I need interlaced project 50i. Some pro cameras cant work in 50p .
    For PC or Youtube - 50p project looks much better especilally in grafics and progresive pictures.

Even if I export 50i project to 50p video grafics and titles jitter up and down.

Sometimes I need to mix 50i footage with 50p from gopro.

So Its why - I need to switch between interlace and prograssive.

I didnt find any way to change project frame rate so far.
    - Importing sequence doesnt work.
    - Importing EDL, importong BIN ..... ALL IS BLOCKED because of different framerate.

But from my point of view it should be very simple - Its only about multiplying or dividing by the timecodes 2

The only way that works is: Write down the Timecodes and edit the film again ....... In 21 century.

i edit in a hd timelime... 25f either with 50p or 50i footage. I use edius 7 still.
    I produce tv ads for I film in 50p. give me the best look when I edit in an interlaced project file as it looks like video. been doing it for years.. no issues!
    if you create graphics... you will have to 2 it twice.. one in an interlaced project setting and in a progressive project setting.
    I do most of my titles in after effects so I will need to create 2 version.. interlaced and progressive. make sure when you apply it to the timeline that it is one or the other.
    when u export.. you can either select either project setting.

Comment

Short answer you cannot switch between interlace and progressive in EDIUS. You can use interlace or progressive in either project type but cannot switch. Of the NLE's I have Vegas is the only one that can switch between interlace and progressive project while editing. Like Ulyssesvideo I shoot everything progressive 60P that gives all the options for project type and outputs. It is not a matter of multiplying time codes either. Interlace is fields and progressive is frames. It is easy to get interlace from a progressive frame but not so easy to get progressive from an interlaced file as the missing fields have to be interpolated to maintain correct temporal motion. If your main source is interlace then use interlace project and just put the progressive GoPro video on the timeline. It will work just fine. However if you want to use the interlace video on a progressive project it would be better to deinterlace outside EDIUS.
      Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

You can switch between interlaced and progressive if they are same framerate.
        50i is 25 fps (50 interlaced fields) so you can switch to progressive 25fps, not progressive 50 fps.
        JoiCam´s
        Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
        2: 17" Laptop i7 w: Edius 9 Workgroup
        3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
        4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
        Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
        Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
        And more

Comment

Originally posted by johannesj View Post
          You can switch between interlaced and progressive if they are same framerate.
          50i is 25 fps (50 interlaced fields) so you can switch to progressive 25fps, not progressive 50 fps.
          But you then loose the temporal motion. To the observer watching 50i is the same as 50P not 25P. There is a difference between 25fps and 25P. Same for NTSC. Also EDIUS will have to deinterlace and it is not good at that either.
          Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post

But you then loose the temporal motion. To the observer watching 50i is the same as 50P not 25P. There is a difference between 25fps and 25P. Same for NTSC. Also EDIUS will have to deinterlace and it is not good at that either.
            things have improved with EDIUS 9.54 and X

let me explain:

I had to shoot several dance concerts and had to screen them at the cinema with one person per 4 seats, because of no audience allowed at the concert due to Covid

most I shot at 25p and then I added the footage to 24p project bin and changed clip frame rate of all clips to 24 in one hit prior to adding to timeline timeline, then export to Prores 4:2:2 HQ and open this file in DCP-o-Matic to make the Cinema package and it looked superb at the cinema

but I had to do two concerts where they also besides cinema ordered 300+ DVD so I decided to shoot at 50i for the sake of DVD quality

I then added the 50i clips to the bin of a 24p project and set all clips to 24 fps in the bin prior to adding to timeline, but I left them at upper field. Then export to Prores 4:2:2 HQ and open this file in DCP-o-Matic to make the Cinema package and it looked superb at the cinema, I was very surprised, could not tell that it was shot interlaced at all
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

True.
              I know the difference between p and I, my point was you can only change project between p í in same framerate.
              JoiCam´s
              Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
              Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
              Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
              And more

Comment

I was not questioning that you did not know the difference only that doing the conversion that way has implications on how the video will then look and the fact that EDIUS will have to interpolate a full frame from a field. Of course the same applies going from 50i to 50P anyway. So it is the motion to me that is more important to how the video will look. Going from progressive to interlace is not such a big issue. I shoot and edit 60P but put the exported HQX file in an interlace project to encode for Bluray.
                Ron Evans

Comment

I was not questioning that you did not know the difference only that doing the conversion that way has implications on how the video will then look and the fact that EDIUS will have to interpolate a full frame from a field. Of course the same applies going from 50i to 50P anyway. So it is the motion to me that is more important to how the video will look. Going from progressive to interlace is not such a big issue. I shoot and edit 60P but put the exported HQX file in an interlace project to encode for Bluray.
                  Sorry, thought you were correcting something, my bad.
                  Yes the change between 25p to 50i will not have the motion blur as you get from original 50i.
                  That is why I shoot everything in 50p for interlaced projects because then I have the option getting good interlaced quality, separate frame for both fields and the option to make progressive versions for other platforms.
                  JoiCam´s
                  And more

Comment

Working...
                  X