Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does QuickTitler use up so much CPU processing power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does QuickTitler use up so much CPU processing power?

Just as the title says, why does QuickTitler use up so much processing power.

In the video example below, one simple title takes up over 40% of the CPU in a 5K project, which maxes out the CPU and stops the project being real-time.

Are there scenarios where QuickTitler does not chew up so much of the available processing resources? Maybe certain CPU architecture etc.?

https://youtu.be/CGglUkkYvy0

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Why is your buffer on 5 only, how much memory have you set for the buffer? or is your audio mixer not in off mode on any of the sliders?

In my test, the buffer is on 250 and Quicktitler uses no CPU power at all, see attached
    Attached Files
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 01-22-2021, 04:24 AM.
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
      Why is your buffer on 5 only, how much memory have you set for the buffer?

In my test, the buffer is on 250 and Quicktitler uses no CPU power at all, see attached
      The buffer is set to what Edius uses as standard. The buffer isn’t actually a problem, even if more memory and therefore frames where allocated to it, if the project itself isn’t able to render in real-time the buffer won’t make any difference. You can see that when it’s the video clip only, the project is real-time and the buffer is fine despite it only being 5 frames.

I don’t understand what you are asking about the mixer.

I can’t play your video, I’m on an iPad and the browser is just showing raw data and not the video. I’ll take a look at it when I’m on my PC.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post

The buffer is set to what Edius uses as standard. The buffer isn’t actually a problem, even if more memory and therefore frames where allocated to it, if the project itself isn’t able to render in real-time the buffer won’t make any difference. You can see that when it’s the video clip only, the project is real-time and the buffer is fine despite it only being 5 frames.

I don’t understand what you are asking about the mixer.

I can’t play your video, I’m on an iPad and the browser is just showing raw data and not the video. I’ll take a look at it when I’m on my PC.
        a 5 frame buffer is only shown when either in multicam mode, or the audio mixer has one or more sliders not in off state, see attached, all sliders are in off state

AVP-0243.png
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I’ll have to take a look when I’m on the PC later although I think the mix was nulled, I wouldn’t usually start mixing that early in an edit. The messed up audio is because the edit has lost real-time.

Comment

yes, when the buffer is 5, you will get the occasional stutter, but we need to find the reason why it is on 5, once this is solved, your issue should go away
            Anton Strauss

Comment

yes, when the buffer is 5, you will get the occasional stutter, but we need to find the reason why it is on 5, once this is solved, your issue should go away
              Are you saying the title issue is because the buffer is on 5? Or that a buffer of 5 causes issues in general? When it’s just the video playing, when the title is muted, there’s no issues with the audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post

Are you saying the title issue is because the buffer is on 5? Or that a buffer of 5 causes issues in general? When it’s just the video playing, when the title is muted, there’s no issues with the audio.
                yes, you will find once you figure out why the buffer is on 5 (not normal at all) you will solve the issue

I have tested all buffer memory settings and I can't achieve a buffer at 5 (you should set buffer to at least 4GB for 5k project)

the only way I can do it is by setting an audio mixer track to anything other than off, that guarantees a buffer at 5
                Anton Strauss

Comment

yes, you will find once you figure out why the buffer is on 5 (not normal at all) you will solve the issue

I have tested all buffer memory settings and I can't achieve a buffer at 5 (you should set buffer to at least 4GB for 5k project)

the only way I can do it is by setting an audio mixer track to anything other than off, that guarantees a buffer at 5
                  Here's a video showing some results, it's raised more questions than answers :)

https://youtu.be/fsAYQP240xE

Comment

When you have a large buffer it strains the CPU even more because it has to render to the buffer and try to make real time playback at the same time.

Agreed the 15 frame start delay.

Then of course there is shift+space bar to pre-fill the buffer but that is a long wait.

With 3840 by 2160 50p 10Bit project and a 256MB buffer setting gives a buffer of 8 with instant playback.

Above XAVCI SLOG3 PCC and Matrix applied baked in (Still XAVCI, exported and brought back in) I can manage only one title layer

With Xeon CPU's I can't play a YouTube downloaded H264 50p UHD video at all, and with Xeons I have no Quick Sync.

Also I note that the screen update for the mixer and vectorscope is laggy in UHD 50p and I look at those all the time.

After installing Resolve it has disabled Vistitle in Edius X

However Resolve relies on the GPU. With UHD 50p XAVCI SLOG3, with SLOG3 to HLG LUT applied as the input to the timeline and Resolve sharpness it can only just manage one video layer, the GTX1080 TI is maxed out. With 5 of the same clips in multi cam, (no colour filters applied in multican) proxy one quarter isn't low enough Resolve still stutters.

The fastest GPU on the list is only 1.45 times faster than that of my GTX card so I am not running out to buy one.

There is another issue similar with Multicam. 3 layers of XAVCI 10Bit 3 cameras plus master edits just fine in full res no frames skipped.
                    Add one more layer and increasing to 5 cameras plus master even dropping the resolution down to 1/8th does not give real time. One skipped frame set, plus half resolution restores the buffer. Weird combinations there.

I could do the same video about the Edius PCC, the GPU assist on makes it stutter in UHD, turning it off real time playback returns. Bizarrely in an SD project PCC GPU assist works fine it speeds up buffer filling.

XAVCI 50p Green Screen can be played with background layer only any layers over that don't play in real time.

I note the GV very expensive turnkey 4K edit system is dual 24 core W series Xeon based and scores a bit higher than my PC as I worked out what was inside from the photos, but all the same issues have to exist with that too, maybe with some more layers before problems occur. It has a Kona 4 and a RTX Quadro GPU.

Regards

Mike
                    Last edited by createmedia; 01-22-2021, 10:44 PM. Reason: Mistake
                    Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 64 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

Edius 9 is exactly the same as Edius X in terms of playback ability.

Reinstalled Vistitle now OK.

Also when CPU is near maximum the buffer level indicator does not update regularly.
                      Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 64 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

Let me explain the audio mixer off state

You can make a track adjustment, then set to off state and the track adjustment is maintained in off state and it will give you back full buffer. Try it by dragging the slider a long way down and then set to off, you will hear that the settings are maintained. This was designed so that you can always work with the full buffer no matter how many track adjustments you make.

What we need to investigate is why your Quicktitler is using lots of CPU when in my case it uses 0% CPU
                        Anton Strauss

Comment

I am still using edius 7 and I have never had any issues with quick titler. in regards to the audio mixer....... yes its can it an interesting thing... sometimes its turned on without it being turned on by me.... but you know that its on because the buffer goes to 5 frames. not a biggie!

Comment

Let me explain the audio mixer off state

You can make a track adjustment, then set to off state and the track adjustment is maintained in off state and it will give you back full buffer. Try it by dragging the slider a long way down and then set to off, you will hear that the settings are maintained. This was designed so that you can always work with the full buffer no matter how many track adjustments you make.

What we need to investigate is why your Quicktitler is using lots of CPU when in my case it uses 0% CPU
                            I understand what you are describing about the mixer but no matter how you look at it's something trying to mask a problem. I get you can set levels, switch off, and it maintains the set level. However, this then leaves you with no immediate visual indication of the mix. Also, automated mixing becomes extremely problematic as the buffer drops when you're in write or latch mode. It also doesn't help for identifying track and clip levels. I've been a sound engineer and music producer for over 30 years and can say that I've never seen anything that operates anywhere like the audio subsystem in Edius. In the past it was never an issue as I'd do all the audio in a DAW but now that I do mainly simple video stuff, staying in Edius for the audio is more important.

Like I said, in this particular instance the audio effecting the buffer wasn't an issue as I'd well exceeded real-time ability anyway. Although I can see how and where it would become a proper issue in other edit scenarios. What's also a big problem is that this audio/mixer issue also stops the pre-buffer limit from working and that is a serious problem on two counts. One, it doesn't work, which is an obvious problem and two, the visual indicator isn't doing what it's supposed to. This is sometimes the problem with what you think is only one problem, when it opens up a whole tin of worms and leads to other problems. It does feel a bit like Alice jumping down rabbit holes.

And after all that, I'm still none the wiser as to why that title is taking up so much CPU processing :)

Comment

basically, it is an EDIUS specification that the buffer is rendered useless when audio mixer tracks are not in OFF state and when in Multicam Mode. It has been complained about for years but it is as per spec

I would love to know why your titler uses that much CPU, can you zip and attach your title
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X