EdiusX vs Premiere cc2020 rendering test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdiusX vs Premiere cc2020 rendering test

Hi, something is not right, I tried to put 5 native 4k clips in the timeline, yellow line on the timeline, first with ediusx and then with premiere cc 2020, I started the rendering and timed the times The result is surprising and above all UNEXPECTED !!!!!!! With ediusx it took him 1 minute and 40 seconds to render. With premiere pro cc 2020 it took 12 seconds to render !!!!!!!!!! How is it possible? yet I use a nvidia gtx 1660 super 6gb card especially suitable for ediusX, does this difference appear to you too?

thanks.

:mad:
    Edius pro X -W10 pro -Lumix fz 1000-I7 10700 8 core-RAM 64 gb 2666 Mhz-GTX1660 super 6gb-

Can you do a test with a given duration, source codec type and what you were rendering to - file type/bit rate as well as the project settings - on both platforms - so we can make a comparative test?

thanks,

Paul :-)
    Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Yes please-

I want to clarify that I no longer use the pc as in signature I7 4790k 32gb ram, but I bought an I7 10700 8 core 16 gb ram, while the video card is always the same gtx 1660 super 6gb.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Vladiciu; 01-18-2021, 06:40 PM.
      Edius pro X -W10 pro -Lumix fz 1000-I7 10700 8 core-RAM 64 gb 2666 Mhz-GTX1660 super 6gb-

Comment

Your source file is 23.976fps, your edius project is 25fps. You have a framerate mismatch. This is not the best situation for for Edius and will negatively impact render times, as well as reduce the quality of the resulting video because you will be introducing frame blending, skipping or duplication, or optical flow conversions, unless you are forcing the files to 25fps before you place them on the timeline.
        Edius WG 9.54.6706, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Originally posted by Vladiciu View Post
          Yes please-

I want to clarify that I no longer use the pc as in signature I7 4790k 32gb ram, but I bought an I7 10700 8 core 16 gb ram, while the video card is always the same gtx 1660 super 6gb.

I tried to change the framerate on the project settings to 23.976 and redo the test with ediusx but it changed a little, only 20 seconds less. maybe it depends on the fact that I only have 16gb of ram? increasing the ram to 32gb or 64gb would I have a faster rendering? thanks.

Comment

As Paul mentioned above, without knowing what you are actually rendering to in each case, there is no way to really make recommendations, but if I am reading your screen shots correctly, (sorry, I don't speak the language and don't use premiere enough to be familiar with the settings page and the locations of the options), in Edius you are rendering to HQX Fine at full UHD resolution (personally I would use super fine), but in premiere you are rendering to MPEG I-frame at HD resolution. These are completely different codecs and resolutions so you can't compare them.

Until you set the same parameters in each software, you can't make a fair comparison. More RAM may help Edius a little bit, but probably not much. Personally, I would go up to at least 32GB though for the sake of future proofing your new computer a bit.
            Edius WG 9.54.6706, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

since you are in Italy, you want 25fps. You can still use the 23.98p clip and change its frame rate in the bin to 25 before adding to timeline

also, why are you rendering? Your PC new can't play in real time????

or do you mean print to file (exporting)???

check the device manager of your new PC and make sure there are no yellow warnings, the Win10 Pro installer fails to find many drivers of new PC hardware, you need to install all drivers that are on the motherboard driver disk or you can download the latest drivers from the motherboard website
              Anton Strauss
              Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                since you are in Italy, you want 25fps. You can still use the 23.98p clip and change its frame rate in the bin to 25 before adding to timeline

also, why are you rendering? Your PC new can't play in real time????

or do you mean print to file (exporting)???

check the device manager of your new PC and make sure there are no yellow warnings, the Win10 Pro installer fails to find many drivers of new PC hardware, you need to install all drivers that are on the motherboard driver disk or you can download the latest drivers from the motherboard website

Yes, my new pc can work without rendering, with a yellow line on the timeline, but I wanted to do a test to see the difference between edius and premiere, and it bothers me! edius is famous for being fast, I remember that with edius 8 pro and the pc i7 4790k working with 4k clips in timeline and yellow line, well and when I was rendering it was very fast, almost like premiere pro, and I always had the gtx 1660 super like I use it now, this new ediux really disappointed me, I have a more powerful pc than before but ediusx is always too slow to render, however ok now it's done. I had tried the demo and I immediately saw this problem but I thought it was only a problem of the TRIAL version but even after purchasing the license the problem remains. I bought a new more powerful pc on purpose to have more power but it has changed little for ediusx, while for premiere pro it has changed a lot, it renders quickly without problems. if i went back i wouldn't buy ediusx, sorry. sometimes i think i uninstall edius x and install edius 8 pro. anyway thanks to all of the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BernH View Post
                  As Paul mentioned above, without knowing what you are actually rendering to in each case, there is no way to really make recommendations, but if I am reading your screen shots correctly, (sorry, I don't speak the language and don't use premiere enough to be familiar with the settings page and the locations of the options), in Edius you are rendering to HQX Fine at full UHD resolution (personally I would use super fine), but in premiere you are rendering to MPEG I-frame at HD resolution. These are completely different codecs and resolutions so you can't compare them.

Until you set the same parameters in each software, you can't make a fair comparison. More RAM may help Edius a little bit, but probably not much. Personally, I would go up to at least 32GB though for the sake of future proofing your new computer a bit.

So you advise me to increase the ram to 32gb, it is useless to bring it to 64 gb for ediusx would it change little I say right? and in any case even with 32gb of ram I won't notice much difference compared to now as I understand. thanks.

Comment

So you advise me to increase the ram to 32gb, it is useless to bring it to 64 gb for ediusx would it change little I say right? and in any case even with 32gb of ram I won't notice much difference compared to now as I understand. thanks.
                    Working in 4K, going to 32GB of ram will probably help a bit, but it will not be a doubling of performance. You can check to see ho much ram Edius is using by looking in the windows task manager. You will probably see that it is less than 16GB now, but the extra headroom will allow windows to run without having to use the windows swap file too much. Going to 64GB will probably not result in any noticable improvement, unless you are running other programs that would need more than 32GB

Comment

Originally posted by BernH View Post

Working in 4K, going to 32GB of ram will probably help a bit, but it will not be a doubling of performance. You can check to see ho much ram Edius is using by looking in the windows task manager. You will probably see that it is less than 16GB now, but the extra headroom will allow windows to run without having to use the windows swap file too much. Going to 64GB will probably not result in any noticable improvement, unless you are running other programs that would need more than 32GB

here you are attached how much ram ediusX consumes, I played the timeline with native 4k clips and the line was yellow on the timeline without rendering, and here is what appears from the attachment, so I would say that even 16gb is enough, what do you say?
                      thanks.

Attached Files

Comment

here you are attached how much ram ediusX consumes, I played the timeline with native 4k clips and the line was yellow on the timeline without rendering, and here is what appears from the attachment, so I would say that even 16gb is enough, what do you say?
                        thanks.
                        You are not using much there for sure and edius is pretty conservative on its ram usage compared to most of the Adobe products (since you also have premiere, you can check that by looking in the task manager when premiere is running), but as you get into an edit with more clips and effects the ram usage will increase. If you are the type to have several programs open at the same time the ram usage will increase more.

Personally I would say that 16GB is the minimum you would want on an edit system now so that you don't hit the ram limit and end up relying on ram/swap file exchange. 32GB just buys you extra room there and will help keep things working well as the ram usage increases.
                        Last edited by BernH; 01-19-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Quit worrying about what color the line is. Instead you should be observing the buffer.
                          1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

I turn off the line colors on all my systems, they are just annoying and not needed in my opinion
                            Anton-01030.png
                            Anton Strauss
                            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
                              Quit worrying about what color the line is. Instead you should be observing the buffer.

Please explain to me how to do it? I want to try to do as you say, and let's see what changes, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X