Faster with GPU or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster with GPU or Not?

CreateMedia and BernH have both flagged this up in another thread, so I thought I'd ask a broader question:

What does GPU support do for playback when using PCC Filter?

It's come to light that turning OFF GPU assist for color correction using the PCC improves playback of some codecs, this appears true with XAVC files on Edius 9xx.

I wonder if a few of us might check how turning off the GPU assist affects playback on their systems and with what file types -

I just kind of made the assumption that if the GPU was "helping" with PCC things would improve - but apparently not - so....

anyone up for testing this quickly?

With GPU support ticked ON:

Run a 4K 10 bit project - any frame rate, put a clip of your choice ( same frame rate and size as project please,) on track 1 and add PCC to it. Check playback and note the buffer response.

Add a second track above - same clip, same PCC and make it 20% ish size, as a PIP. Test playback again and note buffer.

Continue to add tracks with similar PIP settings until it won't play, ie. you get a reducing buffer that causes stutter.

To help things allong you can run the monitoring at FULL, FULL 8bit, HALF or Quarter to get your system to play depending on your system power.

Now turn GPU support OFF and compare the result -

You can of course do this with an HD project also and I've only tested this on Edius 9 but would like to know if Edius X behaves differently or not?

Personally I get another Layer to run when turning off the GPU assist, maybe I am misunderstanding what GPU support does or when it helps or does not,
    either way it would sure be good to know.

Thanks

Paul :-)
    Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Yes it is slower with GPU ON for both XAVC-S from AX100 and h264 from the GH5 though GH5 is more obvious. Same for EDIUS 9 and EDIUS X. Biggest gain is turning off PCC altogether. Buffer then climbs to full then for my system in HD or UHD. With PCC on it needs to be at 1/2 and buffer just holds at 26 out of 159. With GPU also On buffer manages maybe 8 with some stuttering. That is why I leave PCC off while I am editing. I do PCC corrections at the beginning and then turn OFF. As I mentioned my system has real problems with layers.
    Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Just tested Prores 422HQ 4K 10 bit project - base layer plus 7 layers PIP with different grades - GPU OFF and with GPU ON I get base layer plus 8 layers PIP with different grades - So GPU HELPS with Prores.

With HQX Superfine 4K I can run a base layer with 9 PIP layers and using the GPU makes no obvious difference either on or off.

So it would appear that the files that need the most "accelleration help" ie XAVCS and H264 get the worst response...

Paul :-)
      Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X