Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timeline Cursor Question: Continuous Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeline Cursor Question: Continuous Play?

I love Edius and am thrilled to be working on my next projects in Edius X. I just finished editing several projects in Davinci Resolve. One function of Resolve's timeline movement was very useful: continuous playback. I just can't seem to find the equivalent setting in Edius after looking through the manual and digging into User Settings.

I want Edius to continuously play my timeline, even if I click on another part of the timeline ruler bar to move the cursor. Currently when the timeline cursor is moving and video is playing if I click the ruler bar to move the cursor to another location that action pauses play. I want play to continue until I deliberately hit the space bar.

Can that be set up?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Cory Bretz
    Heirloom Films and Storybooks
    www.heirloomfilms.ca
    Life Stories & Family History

MSI GT75 Laptop with i7-8750H 2.2GHz Hexa 6 Core processor, 48GB Ram, 256GB SSD + 2 TB NVME, GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X & 2 LG IPS235 monitors, Thunderbolt™ 3 & 6TB G-Drive, Edius Pro 10, NewBlueFX Titler Pro 7, VisTitle 2.6, Windows 10 Home Ver 1909 and an army of tiny video editing faeries.

Here you go:

Playback.PNG
    Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

Thanks Steve!

My User Settings | Playback in Edius Pro 10.10.6765 look exactly like your screen grab.

I have the same boxes checked on as you.

Should my timeline cursor continue playback when I click a different spot on the timeline ruler to move the cursor?

Currently playback pauses and I have to hit the space bar after I click to make playback resume.

Does yours keep playing if you try to move the timeline cursor?

Thanks for your help!
      Cory Bretz
      www.heirloomfilms.ca

MSI GT75 Laptop with i7-8750H 2.2GHz Hexa 6 Core processor, 48GB Ram, 256GB SSD + 2 TB NVME, GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X & 2 LG IPS235 monitors, Thunderbolt™ 3 & 6TB G-Drive, Edius Pro 10, NewBlueFX Titler Pro 7, VisTitle 2.6, Windows 10 Home Ver 1909 and an army of tiny video editing faeries.

Comment

It depends. If you select playback adding clip and continue playback while trimming , playback will continue when doing those operations. When you move the timeline cursor it wil stop as that is indicator of what you are playing back. If you do not move the timeline cursor and click a clip to do a editing operation playback will continue.
        Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
        EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

EDIUS does not do it exactly the same as Resolve, the options Steve has put up are the closest you get.
          EDIUS silver certified trainer.
          Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
          Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
          Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

I check all of the boxes in the settings that Steve showed. Just depends on what you want.
            1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Thanks guys.
              My best skill as a filmmaker is that I'm lazy and I always find the easiest, fastest, and most efficient way to do anything.
              Should I add "Continuous Playback While Moving Timeline Cursor" to Edius Requested Features?
              Edius is far superior to Resolve in so many ways and I'd love it to be even better for this lazy filmmaker.
              Cory Bretz
              www.heirloomfilms.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Bretz View Post
                Thanks guys.
                My best skill as a filmmaker is that I'm lazy and I always find the easiest, fastest, and most efficient way to do anything.
                Should I add "Continuous Playback While Moving Timeline Cursor" to Edius Requested Features?
                Edius is far superior to Resolve in so many ways and I'd love it to be even better for this lazy filmmaker.
                I can tell you that this was already discussed once and then the push back was what if you are playing and you wanted to just move the cursor to an area and then start editing something (as opposed to continue playing). How would you do that? We get lots of requests where half the people want to do something and half do not. People will always say add a switch, but you can't do that with everything. As Steve showed with that settings box, there are lots of situations where Playback will continue. But a click on a specific place in the Timeline was a signal to go to that location and stop. And honestly this particular thing has not been requested much at all. But feel free to send it if you like.
                GrassValley_PS
                Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 12-26-2020, 07:01 PM.
                1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Thanks GrassVally_PS
                  Yes, it's true usually only half the people are pleased half the time.
                  I also do audio production in Presonus Studio Live and I haven't even mentioned the amazing ways one can move around in their timeline configuration.
                  BE well.
                  Cory Bretz
                  www.heirloomfilms.ca

Comment

While this feature is present in almost all video and audio editing programs, it is unfortunately perceived as a bit of a luxury in Edius.
                    The feature you want to be is actually very simple. When you give the command to play with the Space key, we should continue to play from wherever you click on the timeline, if we want it to stop, we must press the space key again. This allows us to quickly preview a timeline. Otherwise, if we do not want it to continue playing where we clicked, it will not happen because we did not press the play button from the beginning.
                    So the following command is enough for software developers. "If the user pressed the play button, continue playing until they stop it again." This feature does not exist even in Mync software, which is only used to view and index clips, let alone being in Edius. I select a clip and play it, skip time and click somewhere else, normally it should continue, but it doesn't. "What does your left hand do? If you want me to continue playing, hit the space button every time you click." So sad.

Comment

I think you are making the mistake that a lot of people do (and to be fair I used to assume the same thing before I was fortunate to go around the world training and seeing all of the myriad ways people worked). You assume everyone uses somewhat the same workflow you do. In this case, IIUC, you are saying it should always play unless I hit the spacebar again? I personally don't work that way and I would not like it if I had to do that every time I was playing that then clicked somewhere else where I wanted to edit and I had to hit the spacebar to stop. As I said the best bet if anything was considered on this would be with a switch to turn it On or Off.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
                        I think you are making the mistake that a lot of people do (and to be fair I used to assume the same thing before I was fortunate to go around the world training and seeing all of the myriad ways people worked). You assume everyone uses somewhat the same workflow you do. In this case, IIUC, you are saying it should always play unless I hit the spacebar again? I personally don't work that way and I would not like it if I had to do that every time I was playing that then clicked somewhere else where I wanted to edit and I had to hit the spacebar to stop. As I said the best bet if anything was considered on this would be with a switch to turn it On or Off.
                        I see that the same way - kurt
                        Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro / EdiusX-WG (10.30)/ Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / Resolve-17.4.30010 Studio / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
                        // Read > Test > Understand

Comment

Working...
                        X