Audio problems with Intensity Pro 4K and USB mic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio problems with Intensity Pro 4K and USB mic

I've recently upgraded to X WG and at the same time have the need to do more voiceover work in projects, so two way audio functionality is now more important than it was before.

I've got an Intensity Pro 4K feeding my video monitor and I was using that (RCA out) for audio monitoring when I was on Edius 9.

Now I need a mic input for V/O it started getting a bit more challenging. Initially I was using an external mixer to handle the mic input and Pro4K audio monitor output, but that gave me some issues with audio delay so instead I bought a Rode NT-USB mic in the hope that would allow me to do two-way audio through the USB connection (the Rode mic has a built-in mixer so I can hear playback and monitor recording, so seemed ideal).

The Rode mic is set up in Windows as the default speaker and I hear the Windows sounds through it no problem. Edius has the Rode mic setup as the voiceover device and that works fine too.
    But in system settings/preview device the only device shown is the Pro 4K and if that's selected I don't get audio from the timeline. If I uncheck it, I get timeline audio but obviously no video monitoring.

Should there be another device listed in preview devices so I can select audio output there? Is this a problem beause the Pro4K can't just deliver video output without hijacking the audio as well?

You will have to create the device preset for external devices (mics) hooked up. For Preview Devices in EDIUS X, you will only see any external output cards listed. Previously OHCI was also listed but it is no longer there. Audio output will go out your computer audio by default, unless you choose something else in the Preview Device. I have a Kona card that feeds a monitor via HDMI, so the audio is from the monitor (I also have a audio out of the monitor to a mixer if I want to use that). In your setup, if you check the Pro 4K box, audio will go out where ever you have the audio from that card hooked to. I assume you are talking about the built in controls on the mic. IIUC, I think the only way you can get what you want is by first going into a usb mixer.
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

I have a large diaphragm condenser mic running into a mixer that is then inserted into an Edirol USB audio interface. This is my main audio interface.
      I also have the Storm 3G card that connects to my external monitor by way of HDMI.

When capturing voice overs, I use Audition and then import the files into Edius. Once the files
      are on the Edius timeline, I uncheck my Preview Device(Storm 3G) and then adjust volumes by using my main audio device through
      my system speakers. At that point, outputting to the external monitor is not that important.
      I never tweak my audio through my external monitor's speakers.
      Once the audio is mixed, I then reconnect the Storm 3G card and do final fixes prior to exporting.

To see what audio devices you have, go to the far right of the taskbar and left click the speaker icon.
      Once the slider panel opens, select the upward pointing arrow to expand the panel.
      Now you will see the audio devices.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

OK the lack of OHCI in preview devices was what threw me. I was trying to do away with using an external mixer other than the one builit into the mic (which is not great, but good enough).
        I think for the moment I'll just put up without having the video monitor while recording the audio and switch back to the Pro 4K when I do the final edit and mix.

Comment

Working...
        X