No announcement yet.

Edius X audio playback problem, clicks and distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My machine cannot handle 8 k so I have to ask QA to do that test. What happens if you drop the project to 4k?

B
    Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

When you drop frames during playback, you will have video and audio frame loss. Since video playback is fast enough, you will not noticed choppy video unless you have a large amount of lost frames but you will hear audio clipping. My system is running all SSD so the only way for me to replicate the audio clipping is to push Edius to sample to 8K so the CPU is not able to handle proper Edius TL playback. It is classic issue when the system is not able to handle proper video playback and likely even without Acon applied. I suggest testing another known good video clip playback without anything applied to see if there are any issues and if the red bar for render overloaded is able to turn green. SL, you should be able to replicate the audio issue if overload Edius by setting current project settings sampling much higher than available PC resources. Anything that overload CPU or drive without the Stop Playback at frame drop enabled should result in choppy playback due to frame drop during playback.
      GrassValley_JT

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
        My machine cannot handle 8 k so I have to ask QA to do that test. What happens if you drop the project to 4k?

B
        With that project any resolution was having issues. This is something I have with other projects even as low as 1080, no red lines, full buffer and loads of spare processing headroom, but that same issue with the audio. I'm going to guess that Edius doesn't like the combination of sample frequency and multiple tracks at AAC, it does sound like sample miss-tracking.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

is it possible that your audio clip is 44.1k and the project setting 48k

can I see a screenshot of mediainfo of the clip with everything visible in tree view

also, a screenshot of project settings
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I am confident now to say that the users system cannot handle 8k 60 properly.

I forgot that I have a system that can handle 8k 24p

I tested 60 p and I need to adjust the Video playback to 1/8 on this system or else it won't playback in 8k 60p timeline.

I have asked QA for the minimum specs for 8k editing. As soon as I have it I will post it here.

Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
            EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              is it possible that your audio clip is 44.1k and the project setting 48k

can I see a screenshot of mediainfo of the clip with everything visible in tree view

also, a screenshot of project settings
              Yes, it is Anton. I'd already mentioned this earlier to Steve as I have a feeling that this is what the problem is. Not only that but it's multitrack audio, 6 track as 3 stereo and it's also AAC. I've never had issues with mixed sample rates in the past but they were PCM, these are AAC. Plus I've had this same problem on other projects. The source is OBS.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                I am confident now to say that the users system cannot handle 8k 60 properly.

I forgot that I have a system that can handle 8k 24p

I tested 60 p and I need to adjust the Video playback to 1/8 on this system or else it won't playback in 8k 60p timeline.

I have asked QA for the minimum specs for 8k editing. As soon as I have it I will post it here.

When you say users system, are you talking about me?

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_JT View Post
                  When you drop frames during playback, you will have video and audio frame loss. Since video playback is fast enough, you will not noticed choppy video unless you have a large amount of lost frames but you will hear audio clipping. My system is running all SSD so the only way for me to replicate the audio clipping is to push Edius to sample to 8K so the CPU is not able to handle proper Edius TL playback. It is classic issue when the system is not able to handle proper video playback and likely even without Acon applied. I suggest testing another known good video clip playback without anything applied to see if there are any issues and if the red bar for render overloaded is able to turn green. SL, you should be able to replicate the audio issue if overload Edius by setting current project settings sampling much higher than available PC resources. Anything that overload CPU or drive without the Stop Playback at frame drop enabled should result in choppy playback due to frame drop during playback.
                  I've already told both you and Steve that there were no dropped frames, I couldn't have been any clearer. I know exactly what happens with dropped frames.

Comment

is it possible to render the clip and play it back in full res to see if the issue is still there?

Comment

Originally posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
                      is it possible to render the clip and play it back in full res to see if the issue is still there?
                      It is fine when rendered but unfortunately that's not gonna help the edit.

Comment

at the end of the day... as long as its has no issues when exporting to final product... that's all it matters. I have edited in similar audio situations in the past and I didnt have a problem.... was able to edit and find my points to delete etc to make the final product. to be honest... this is not an issue, but a limitation...
                        your situation that you have presented.... is a small issue.

thanks
                        Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 10-20-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
                          at the end of the day... as long as its has no issues when exporting to final product... that's all it matters. I have edited in similar audio situations in the past and I didnt have a problem.... was able to edit and find my points to delete etc to make the final product. to be honest... this is not an issue, but a limitation...
                          your situation that you have presented.... is a small issue.

thanks
                          I totally understand why someone like yourself would work in the way that you’ve just described.

Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 10-20-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

so what I should of said was this....edited in similar audio situations in the past and because I have a deadline... means I dont have time to work out why.. just get it editing done!

I take my work very seriously and professionally. been doing it for a very long time! tvcs, youtube video etc. thank god my version of edius works with NO issues.
                            like i said..your issue is a small issue that could be just nothing.
                            good luck
                            Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 10-20-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

This issue has been going on since Edius 6, and I still is an issue today.

I had the exact same issue, after solving other audio issues.

At first, I had video being displayed, but NO audio from my computer speakers at all during playback (timeline, player, recorder)

In Edius, I tried fiddling with Hardware Preview Device settings, I also re-installed DirectX drivers.

Long story short, I fixed that by making my Windows default audio playback to 48 kHz, from 44.1 kHz (through the small speaker icon at the Windows system tray, playback devices, and selecting my sound card)

Then, after switching my sound card sample rate to 48 kHz, Stereo, 2 channels, I, had audio in Edius, BUT the sound was distorted, cracking, despite the fact that frame buffer was full -- exactly like your YouTube sample. SAME ISSUE.

So I asked myself a question: I didn't have this issue before, what changed?
                              Answer: My sound card: Asus Xonar AE PCIe
                              In the past I had a SoundBlaster X-Fi PCI, no issues with Edius
                              In the past I also used Edius with onboard Realtek audio chip, no issues.

Ditched my Asus Xonar AE from my computer, and now use the motherboard's Realtek sound.

SOLVED, once and for all.

But that's a workaround... and not a fix. IT appears that there's a long standing compatibility issue between Edius, and some audio cards/drivers. And there's nothing a user can do, other than replace the sound card for a "compatible" one, like a did.
                              Dimitri Papadopoulos

Edius 6.01. My system: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell Precision WorkStation T3500, Intel Dual-Core Xeon W3503 CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 8 GB 1.3GHz DDR3 ECC DIMMs, Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm SATA HD, BFG nVidia GeForce GT 740 4GB CUDA GPU, DirectX 11, QuickTime 7.7.9 Pro, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 audio card, Orange Micro SCI FireWave 51005-7000 rev 1.3 IEEE1394a 3-port card (Texas Instruments chipset), Canon GL2 Camera and SONY DSR-25 DVCAM VTR.

Comment

Working...
                              X