Edius X audio playback problem, clicks and distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius X audio playback problem, clicks and distortion

Here's another big problem with Edius X. This is an audio problem which is very strange, I've found more audio issues with Edius that I'll cover when I get the time.

I've also come across some pretty bad video issues as well, again, I'll cover them when I get time.

I really do think that GV need to step up now and start interacting with user posts that are showing clear problems with Edius X.

Project is 10 bit, 8K 60FPS, media is 8 bit, 1080, H.264 at 200Mb/s with three AAC stereo audio tracks at 320Kb/s in a MP4 container, using NVENC.

https://youtu.be/6tZoU7D-VFQ

Last edited by Liverpool TV; 10-19-2020, 11:17 PM.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

It does look like you are dropping frames during playback with the audio clipping during playback and the playback buffer depleted when the audio issue occur. Do you have stop playback during frame drop in Edius enabled? Is the audio still clipping if you render the timeline?
    GrassValley_JT

Comment

The buffer indeed is not building for good normal playback. The buffer will do that f a dialog box is open example the Acon or the audio mixer is open with track not all on off. Audio should be clean tho.
      I tried what is shown with my asset and I am not getting the issue.
      Maybe you should post details of the asset and project settings so other can try to replicate.

Also can you please try a new userprofile?
      Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 10-19-2020, 10:59 PM.
      Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
      EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_JT View Post
        It does look like you are dropping frames during playback with the audio clipping during playback and the playback buffer depleted when the audio issue occur. Do you have stop playback during frame drop in Edius enabled? Is the audio still clipping if you render the timeline?
        It's not dropping frames, I tested for that. Plus the issue is intermittent as well. That timeline indicator is also misleading, many of my other videos play realtime despite the indicator suggesting otherwise.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

I have not had any audio issues with EX.
          My System: Edius Workgroup 9.51 & 10.0, Intel I9-9900K 3.60GHz Liquid Cooling, MSI Z390-A PRO MB, 32-GB Mem, GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GPU, BM Intensity Pro 4K Card, Win 10 Pro

Comment

Same here and I have tested a few vst's adjusting and playing back. Could be that it is asset or project specific?
            I can provide a recording doing the exact seem thing with clean audio on playback.
            Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 10-19-2020, 11:14 PM.
            Steve

Comment

The timeline show Red bar across to the top is an indication Edius is not able to playback in real-time. If you enable Stop Playback at Frame Drop under Edius Settings--System Settings-> Application->Playback, Edius likely will stop playback during the same timeline playback. During Edius TL playback, Edius sample the video based on current project settings. If you playback outside of TL, Edius sample video differently. Try Rendering and if that does not help, try bring up the Task Manager in Windows and check CPU usage to see if they peak or not?
              GrassValley_JT

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                The buffer indeed is not building for good normal playback. The buffer will do that f a dialog box is open example the Acon or the audio mixer is open with track not all on off. Audio should be clean tho.
                I tried what is shown with my asset and I am not getting the issue.
                Maybe you should post details of the asset and project settings so other can try to replicate.

Also can you please try a new userprofile?
                The buffer is enough, I tested for that. That buffer doesn't have to be full it only needs to not empty, I've show that in other videos.

Are you saying that the audio should be fine if the dialogue box is open? If that is the case then why would it not play fine when the box is closed? If the audio wasn't playing properly because the project isn't realtime, as you're suggesting, then how could it suddenly clean up when a dialogue box is open? If the audio issue was indeed caused by a lack of realtime ability, which it isn't, then surely the issue would be there no matter what you are doing. In fact, applying an extra anything as far as processing is concerned should make it worse.

Project is 10 bit, 8K 60FPS, media is 8 bit, 1080, H.264 at 200Mb/s with three AAC stereo audio tracks at 320Kb/s in a MP4 container, using NVENC.

Comment

The timeline show Red bar across to the top is an indication Edius is not able to playback in real-time. If you enable Stop Playback at Frame Drop under Edius Settings--System Settings-> Application->Playback, Edius likely will stop playback during the same timeline playback. During Edius TL playback, Edius sample the video based on current project settings. If you playback outside of TL, Edius sample video differently. Try Rendering and if that does not help, try bring up the Task Manager in Windows and check CPU usage to see if they peak or not?
                  Like I've already said, there is no problem with real time, I already tested for that. Plus, that red line is not an accurate indicator, I've already shown this a number of times in other videos. That red line also gets confused when you drop the timeline resolution, it can still stay red even when the timeline is playing real time after dropping the playback resolution, as it's doing in this example.

Comment

Yes my audio is fine with the dialog box open.
                    I tested 25i and 24p.
                    Will try to test with your settings.
                    Steve

Comment

Yes my audio is fine with the dialog box open.
                      I tested 25i and 24p.
                      Will try to test with your settings.
                      When you say your audio is fine with the dialogue box open, are you saying that it was not fine with the dialogue box closed?

Comment

To replicate the issue, I had to temporary set my current project settings much higher than what Edius X in Full Preview and my PC is able to handle which triggered frame drop with that option unchecked of course and let the buffer deplete to nearly zero. Just FYI.
                        GrassValley_JT

Comment

To replicate the issue, I had to temporary set my current project settings much higher than what Edius X in Full Preview and my PC is able to handle which triggered frame drop with that option unchecked of course and let the buffer deplete to nearly zero. Just FYI.
                          Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are describing. BTW, my frame buffer never depleted it was either three quarters full or totally full. You can even see that as soon as I hit play the buffer is immediately full and then skips between 3 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post

When you say your audio is fine with the dialogue box open, are you saying that it was not fine with the dialogue box closed?
                            It plays fine with the dialog open or closed. When you open the dialog the buffer will drop to "editing" mode so can better hear adjustment. if it plays back fine with it open it will playback fine when it closed.

Can you share the asset you are testing with so we can try? If you do it public then we can have more people on the forum testing to see if it happens on their system.
                            I also will try to encode a file with your specific settings.

But if we try with your file and project settings can see better test it.
                            If your harddrive is near capacity it can also influence the throughput.

60p playback
                            first test 4:2:2 10 bit Video VBR 36.9 Mbps audio 381.4 kbps (assets)
                            audio playback 60p.mp4

Ok sorry I missed that you are using an 8k project. Will try that now.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 10-20-2020, 12:05 AM.
                            Steve

Comment

It plays fine with the dialog open or closed. When you open the dialog the buffer will drop to "editing" mode so can better hear adjustment. if it plays back fine with it open it will playback fine when it closed.
                              When you say if it plays back fine with it open it will play back fine when it's closed, my example isn't, it's fine open but not fine when closed. With other VST plugins I usually will have issues when the dialogue boxes are open but not when they're closed.

Can you share the asset you are testing with so we can try? If you do it public then we can have more people on the forum testing to see if it happens on their system.
                              I also will try to encode a file with your specific settings.
                              Sorry, that's quite impossible for this particular stuff, the files are long takes at 200Mb/s and a bit too big for upload.

But if we try with your file and project settings can see better test it.
                              If your harddrive is near capacity it can also influence the throughput.
                              The hard drive capacity is fine, no issues with other projects on it.

One thing though. The timeline I have is for a few things, hence the bit depth and resolution. The project is 48Khz but that particular media is 44.1 I've never noticed issues in the past with mixed sample frequencies but that would have been PCM and not AAC. Like I'd said in the video, it sounds a bit like clock issues, is it possible there's an issue because of the sample rate?

Comment

Working...
                              X