Can't deactivate Edius X - deactivations exceeded the allowed limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't deactivate Edius X - deactivations exceeded the allowed limit

What is this limitation all about? (rhetorical)

BTW, I don't need anyone saying that this is a support question that doesn't belong here, this is a huge problem that people need to be aware of.

I've just tried to change my PC configuration which has meant that I've had to deactivate the two instances of my Edius X license so I can re-active them both after my configuration change but Edius X wont deactivate.

What's even worse is that my licence has only been on one computer so far which is running multiple Windows 10 installations. This is something I've found necessary as Edius X definitely reacts differently when installed clean on its own compared to running with Edius 9 on the same Windows installation, something I've explained in a different post.

Why is this completely stupid restriction even in place? (rhetorical)

If you buy software that you supposedly own, you have every right to install and uninstall as you please.

This stupid limit doesn't even have anything to do with protection or anti-piracy, this is evident by the fact that the license server already knows how many instances of any particular license are active at any one time and what machine/configuration they are active on.

Given the fact that Edius X is 'supposedly' getting upgrades that will allow it to use different GPUs etc. It is a fact that people will have to be doing a fair bit if activating and deactivating of their license until they find a hardware configuration that best suits their post production requirements.

Anyway. There shouldn't even have to be any justification from a user as to why they may want to activate deactivate any software that they own, it just so happens that in the case of Edius X in particular and the fact that it is flaky at best and going through a transitional stage, that it will require multiple activations and deactivations until a user has their best setup.

Compound this massive problem with the fact that many users will have multiple activations of their license on different machines and this limit on deactivations is going to get very tedious very quickly.

And god forbid that you are a power user and use system images for part of your workflow and with systems that frequently change specifications.

Right now, I have made hardware changes to one of my computers very specifically to help my Edius X workflow and the irony is that the very software that I'm trying to improve my Windows environment for, has now stopped me dead in my tracks and has meant that I can't even see if the hardware I've just bought has improved my Edius X workflow.

This stupid and pointless limitation needs to be scrapped as it only serves to frustrate and it most certainly doesn't help any Edius owner.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

I think there's a limit on how many times you can activate/deactivate per month. Maybe you have rolled over the limit. Ran into this a few years back. In order to keep running, restored an image from same SSD. As a precaution internet off. This proved unnecessary. Edius ran OK but it was not possible to deactivate later. Just annoying but Edius have a business to protect.

G
    Sys1: Gigabyte Z370 HD3 i7 8086K(4.3Ghz), 16Gb ram, 256Gb SSD system + 2x2Tb video drives, Graphics: nVidia 1060 (W10 Pro) E8v3 WG; Vegas Pro17; DVD Architect 5.2 GH2(hacked) Pana HC-X2000E
    Sys2 :Clevo i7 6700HQ 3.5Ghz,16Gb ram 2565Gb SSD + 1Tb (W10 Pro)
    Software: E8v3 WG; Vegas Pro17

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff_C View Post
      I think there's a limit on how many times you can activate/deactivate per month. Maybe you have rolled over the limit. Ran into this a few years back. In order to keep running, restored an image from same SSD. As a precaution internet off. This proved unnecessary. Edius ran OK but it was not possible to deactivate later. Just annoying but Edius have a business to protect.

G
      Hi Geoff.

Yes, the limit to activations per month is why it’s not deactivating but for all the reasons I mentioned it’s just a unnecessary stupid limitation which definitely impacts on the end user.

What’s also maybe a big issue is that it looks like the activation of 9 and 10 both use up instances of the same licence when using the Plus version and even if they don’t, it’s still stopping me from doing what I should and I’ve just spent money on stuff that I can’t even properly test as I can’t do a clean setup with Edius X.

I also use images as I mentioned in the post but these can be problematic and as you’ve also said, there are instances where the license can’t be deactivated. Add to that the fact that Windows itself can get all weird as well with hardware changes, then the whole Edius license thing just becomes more infuriating.

I absolutely agree that a company should protect its software from piracy but not at the expense of the paying user. But the amount of license activations does absolutely nothing for protection. If one license can only be active so many times at the same time, which is what happens with the Edius license. Then that’s the protection and piracy consideration taken care of right there. The amount of times that this happens has no extra bearing what so ever on whether or not the license server knows how many instances are in active use and the hardware profiles they’re associated with.

Plus what’s the point of having something in place that’s supposedly automated that then requires manual human intervention and time consuming waits with emails when it goes wrong or is questioned.

Many others on the forum will be using other software that can be activated willy-nilly and without the same limitations as the Edius license. So I don’t see it as being unreasonable to expect the same flexibility with the Edius license.

Cheers,
      Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

I use 31 days as the time limit and do my backups only then and always deactivate Edius before hand.
        System Asus WS Z390 Pro MB, CPU i9 9900K, 32gb 3000mhz Ram, EVGA GTX1070TI, BM IP4K Win 10, BD Burner 1 Evo 840 and 4 Hotswap caddies
        Plugins Vistitle 2.8, TP7, NB TFX5
        Monitors Samsung 32 inch tv as main 1 LG M2350D,1 D2343 1 DM2350D as output to (3D) IP4K, PXW X70,Canon FX400

Comment

Originally posted by John Lewis View Post
          I use 31 days as the time limit and do my backups only then and always deactivate Edius before hand.
          That’s a good routine for general housekeeping but it shouldn’t have be necessary to have to limit yourself to set times for such things. What happens if you’re a person who does a system image once a week? Plus, if you get caught out because you have drive failures, system changes, certain hardware changes, you want to activate on a different system, you have certain conflicts within disk images etc. Or you’ve simply made a mistake. Then you’re pretty much screwed.

Add to that the problems you have if for whatever reason you can’t deactivate a previous installation, at all, and your then stuck with your only option being to request a manual reset. And what happens when you’ve got to inevitably wait for a response from such a request and you can’t use your Edius system and work.

Seriously, this time consuming manual intervention for software that costs almost $1000 is just ridiculous.

I totally understand why you can only have so many activations at one time and don’t have any issues with that but this limit to the amount of times you can do it is just mind numbingly stupid and serves no purpose what so ever.

Comment

Welcome to hell Dave...I went through this a while ago during platform testing...absolutely awful and restrictive...you have to hassle support and get a reset done which is a pain, I was told very directly that they would reset my count on "this occasion" but not again, so be warned.

I'm obviously a very naughty boy who assumed that buying this software would allow me to use it in any way I chose, within the two systems registered restriction and not attempting reverse engineering!

I'm really not looking forward to the licence process required to get X running ....so I'm holding off as long as possible.

Good luck mate

Paul :-)
            Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PaulTV View Post
              Welcome to hell Dave...I went through this a while ago during platform testing...absolutely awful and restrictive...you have to hassle support and get a reset done which is a pain, I was told very directly that they would reset my count on "this occasion" but not again, so be warned.

I'm obviously a very naughty boy who assumed that buying this software would allow me to use it in any way I chose, within the two systems registered restriction and not attempting reverse engineering!

I'm really not looking forward to the licence process required to get X running ....so I'm holding off as long as possible.

Good luck mate

Paul :-)
              Alright Paul, hope you’re well buddy and I hope you’re not being bothered too much by these strange times.

Hell’s sub-basement is where I am at the moment :) Having just bought a bunch of stuff for my main machine I can’t even set it up as a clean machine because I can’t de-register. This stupid activation procedure is now directly stopping me from using Edius X for my business and making money. Do I really need to say any more about that?

I’ve got one of those Plus license things, the upgrade from 9 that allows you to activate both 9 and 10 from the same license. If I’m not mistaken, each one chews into a license activation and so therefore causes the limitation to be hit quicker. I’ve got 9 and 10 on one partition and 10 on its own in the same machine. Why there should be any issues with the license use with the same machine is just a joke.

And yes, how patronising is it to be told something that makes it feel that you’ve done something wrong and you’re being done a favour so you can use the software you’ve paid for. I had this in the past when I hit a limit that couldn’t be helped due to a drive failure.

BTW. If and when you go to 10 you may also want to dual install or have a machine that just runs 10 on its own. There are definite problems that I’ve encountered with 10 and 9 on the same Windows installation compared to just 10 on its own.

I’ve also found a whole bunch of problems with 10, mostly unresolved legacy ones, so you may want to think twice about any upgrading. You may find this post interesting https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ent-to-edius-9

Anyway, having that post of mine moved to the lounge, where no one other logged in registered users will ever see it and as a direct result of that and other over enthusiastic moderations/interventions of my posts and an absolute lack of response by GV to serious questions about Edius 10. I’ve decided to put together a small website, www.Edius.co.uk At least with my own website I can say and question exactly what I want, give empirical proof of faults, warn people of a bunch of issues with Edius and also start doing some tutorials and walkthroughs. At least the videos and posts that I’ll have coming up over the next couple of months will be available to be viewed by anyone even if the postings of them here on the forum are moved out of sight. I’ll let you know once the site is active, probably end of next month after I’ve done a bunch of new videos about Edius X.

Stay well buddy.
              Dave.

Comment

Working...
              X