Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius X: Very, very slow waveform creation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ulyssesvideo
    replied
    ouch! not good!

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Huston, we have a problem

I just loaded 103 XDCAM HD clips totaling 5 hours to EDIUS 9 bin and started stopwatch, waveform generation took 2 min and 15 sec

then I deleted the waveform files and opened the project in EDIUS X (same PC)

waveform generation took 9min and 38 sec

I am reporting this now as this is unacceptable

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    I am interested in your news workflow in Italy. Do you save things to a large network shared drive or some kind of MAM or SAN so that others can work from the same files or do you keep your files locally in a computer and you are the only one that works on them?

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I will do a comparison test to see how long 9 takes versus X

I have both on the same PC so it will be a fair comparison

Leave a comment:

• Donovan P
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    you mean Add and Transfer to Bin?
    No, a simple Add to Bin command.
    It's useful to clarify that my workflow with XDCAM HD files has always been the following:
    1) - creating an XDCAM folder on my SSD for every news gathering job (from 4 to 6 and sometimes more, every day);
    2) - ingesting my footage to proper folders via Sony's Catalyst Browse software;
    3) - soon after the quick ingest procedure from my SxS cards is done, starting Edius, finding the XDCAM folders into the Source Browser and adding my clips to a given folder previously created in my Bin.

I would remove the tick from Create waveform when registering clips to bin because this causes lengthy waveform creation when transferring from memory card to PC via source browser
    As said, I do not use Edius for transferring.
    I start Edius soon after my footage has been ingested to my laptop's SSD. In any case, when I need further clips to ingest I always do this via Catalyst Browse, then I refresh the Edius Source Browser folders to access the most recent clips.

basically, EDIUS generates the waveforms by accessing the external memory cards prior to transferring the clips, and this is super slow, I reported this many times over the years
    I agree, that's one of the reasons why I always protect my supports from writing during transferring, even if I don't use Edius for this purpose.

once you untick this option, file transfer starts right away and then when adding clips to timeline, the waveforms are created
    All correct, Anton, anyway my above mentioned workflow is the best possible for me because I need to ingest into separate, pre-created source folders to better manage a huge amount of different news jobs every week, and at the same time I need an immediate waveform graphics feedback so that I can start my editing building an accurate audio structure on which I'll gradually cut and refine the video section.
    The issue I'm facing is the slowness of the waveform creation when compared to the identical workflow and settings using Edius 9.

Thank you for your support Anton, I'll keep on working with v.9.52 for now, but at a later time I'll surely make further tests with a clean installation of Edius X on a different hardware, It's worth investigating.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    you mean Add and Transfer to Bin?

I would remove the tick from Create waveform when registering clips to bin because this causes lengthy waveform creation when transferring from memory card to PC via source browser

basically, EDIUS generates the waveforms by accessing the external memory cards prior to transferring the clips, and this is super slow, I reported this many times over the years

once you untick this option, file transfer starts right away and then when adding clips to timeline, the waveforms are created

Leave a comment:

• Donovan P
    replied

How were the clips added to bin? Source Browser? File Explorer?
    Source Browser, then simply Add to Bin. Settings as in the pics (Edius 10.00 and 9.52):
    edius x user settings.jpg edius 9 user settings.jpg

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by Donovan P View Post
    Waveform files generation keeps on taking an absurd lot of time before waveform graphics appear, independently from the checking or unchecking of that box. Thanks anyway antonsvideo.
    ​​​​Perhaps, uninstalling v.9.52 could help but now for my job I must rely on the speed of v.9. Stable, quick and highly responsive.
    ​​​
    How were the clips added to bin? Source Browser? File Explorer?
    What are your settings in User Settings/Application/Other?

Leave a comment:

• Donovan P
    replied
    can you disable as seen in attached and try again
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...round-jobs.png
    Waveform files generation keeps on taking an absurd lot of time before waveform graphics appear, independently from the checking or unchecking of that box. Thanks anyway antonsvideo.
    ​​​​Perhaps, uninstalling v.9.52 could help but now for my job I must rely on the speed of v.9. Stable, quick and highly responsive.
    ​​​

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    Originally posted by Donovan P View Post
    Thanks but that is the version I'm using. The release notes do not mention the slow waveform creation problem I'm facing.
    Yeah, I was not sure, read it in a hurry going out for filming so possible some wish thinking.

Leave a comment:

• oswaldbobb
    replied
    Thanks Anton, that worked, I also questioned the same thing happening to me, what was causing it.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    can you disable as seen in attached and try again
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...round-jobs.png

Leave a comment:

• hos11
    replied
    Don't have XDCAM footage, I just tried 30 minute mp4 FHD 50fps 100 Mbit/s footage from GH5 - it took around 10 seconds to generate wav from Samsung evo basic 500 GB SSD .... on EDIUS X 6653.

Leave a comment:

• Donovan P
    replied
    Originally posted by johannesj View Post
    Update 6653 is out, I think I am right that it does address this issue,
    Thanks but that is the version I'm using. The release notes do not mention the slow waveform creation problem I'm facing.

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    Not tested my self but I recall reading about it in the description.
    Could be wrong thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X