Convert 25p to 50p using Optical Flow Edius X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert 25p to 50p using Optical Flow Edius X

Apart from the rendering being slow on high quality Optical flow it did a very smooth conversion (no frame doubling) of the 25p to 50p.

I note the CPU's are maxed out and it really isn't possible to get on with any other editing whilst rendering is going on.

However one small section of the clip produced some weird results as the camera was panning past my car radiator grille as per screen SNIP attached.

I tried it also on some walking forward material with some white fence posts on the left of the pathway and some frames had the top of the fence post have a ghost added in the direction of movement.

Are these artifacts something that needs looking at?

Mike

Attached Files
    Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 64 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

yes, these have been reported since optical flow was added
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

And I get similar artefacts on other programs with optical flow so I don't know if it can be "fixed".
      EDIUS silver certified trainer.
      Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Yes, same here, I was using TWIXTOR in after effects before optical flow was introduced in EDIUS 8, it heavily depends on how shot was taken.
        Program has to create extra frames between existing ones based on that information. Depending on contrast, background (clear, detailed, blurred...), movement (pannig is more difficult), number of fps you get different results. Leaves on tress and woody background (if it's not blured) is very confusing and almost impossible, sand and water too, resulting in guessing wrong where all that similar almost blended detail is and where will be. Something moving from side to side is tricky too, moving from or to camera more pleasing. Fences almost always gets ghosting in my case too, depending how dense they are and how fast camera is moving.

Comment

Optical Flow can be magical or not so good depending on the clip.
          1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Also try the highest quality setting. Sometimes you can get better results but it can take a while to complete.
            Steve

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

50i is still a thing - but everybody shoots 25 progressive and then wants 50P :)
              ¤ž€ß¤

Comment

Working...
              X