Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile phone footage is auto rotated in Edius X but so is cropping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phone footage is auto rotated in Edius X but so is cropping.

I have just been alerted to this one by a guy in my video club trying out Edius X (if it was £299 he says would buy it but at £500+ he won't, he has an old version of Vegas).

Landscape Phone footage in layouter (this has been auto flipped -180)

Top Crop = Bottom Crop
    Right Crop = Left Crop
    Left Crop = Right Crop
    Bottom Crop = Top Crop

Portrait Phone Footage in layouter (It is auto Rotated - 90 degrees)

Top Crop = Left Crop
    Right Crop = Top Crop
    Left Crop = Bottom Crop
    Bottom Crop = Right Crop

This is quite a tricky one as if the user decides to rotate a non 90 degrees amount which side should the cropping work from? I say right crop should always crop the right hand side of the clip at whatever angle it sits.

Regards

Mike
    Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 72 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Originally posted by createmedia View Post
    I have just been alerted to this one by a guy in my video club trying out Edius X (if it was £299 he says would buy it but at £500+ he won't, he has an old version of Vegas).

Landscape Phone footage in layouter (this has been auto flipped -180)

Top Crop = Bottom Crop
    Right Crop = Left Crop
    Left Crop = Right Crop
    Bottom Crop = Top Crop

Portrait Phone Footage in layouter (It is auto Rotated - 90 degrees)

Top Crop = Left Crop
    Right Crop = Top Crop
    Left Crop = Bottom Crop
    Bottom Crop = Right Crop

This is quite a tricky one as if the user decides to rotate a non 90 degrees amount which side should the cropping work from? I say right crop should always crop the right hand side of the clip at whatever angle it sits.

Regards

Mike
    Are you saying that Edius X reacts differently to mobile footage compared to other versions of Edius?

While Edius X does have issues, I can’t say that I’ve noticed it’s handling of phone/mobile footage to be any different than previous versions where geometry is concerned.

Are you talking about using the footage in a project that matches the native resolution and aspect ratio of the phone footage but it appears upside down or back to front on import? If so, then a simple correction with Layouter, transform or mirror will sort it out.

if you are using the footage in a project that has a different resolution or aspect ratio to the mobile footage than you’d have treat the source mobile footage the same way as you’d treat any other media that’s not the same resolution or aspect ratio. Again with the likes of Layouter, transform etc. for correcting geometry and reframing.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

I am saying I simply put the footage on the timeline. The clips are 30p so placed in a project of the same setting. When I opened the layouter the clips had been auto rotated to be in the correct orientation, I did not rotate them.

Mike
      Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 72 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

I am saying I simply put the footage on the timeline. The clips are 30p so placed in a project of the same setting. When I opened the layouter the clips had been auto rotated to be in the correct orientation, I did not rotate them.

Mike
        I’m not sure I can see what the problem is. If you import the footage and it’s the correct orientation, isn’t this what you’d want?

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

Rotation is good, no complaints there. What is very confusing is trying to use cropping which is also rotated.

Comment

I have seen that before, you need to think upside down sometimes
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Mike
              Try using a combination of transform and layouter.

Comment

Working...
              X