Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directly Working with AVC/HEVC media in Edius X 10.00.6571 (Intel iGPU vs nVidia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directly Working with AVC/HEVC media in Edius X 10.00.6571 (Intel iGPU vs nVidia)

Well, I have been using Xeon/1080 Ti and a laptop with i5-8265U.

In Edius 9.5, the experience on i5-8265U laptop was amazing. Directly Working with AVC/HEVC media was fast like working with Proxy files. Rendering the output was fast too especially if I just cut the clips without grading them. However, on Xeon/1080 Ti workstation, it was simply a nightmare. Editing without proxy was always unacceptable. There was no way to export HEVC too. The only option to export HEVC file was to check out the project and render it on the laptop.

In Edius X, additonal support to NVENC was great. I was even able to export 8K/50p 10-bit HDR HEVC video at a speed of about 1:12 (1 minute 8K video with grading took 12 minutes to render into HEVC). That's pretty good as Premiere doesn't support hardware encoding for such output and even outputting 1 minute of similar video in H.264 took 38 minutes.

Still, there are two major problems with Edius X:
    1. It seems directly Working with AVC/HEVC media still requires Quicksync for GPU acceleration. Basically i5-8565U laptop worked better than Xeon/1080 Ti workstation.
    2. Proxy appeared to be broken in current version of Edius X.

As a result, while rendering speed is decent with NVENC, editing on Xeon/nVidia GPU is hardly usable.

Originally posted by ArexLi View Post
    Well, I have been using Xeon/1080 Ti and a laptop with i5-8265U.

In Edius 9.5, the experience on i5-8265U laptop was amazing. Directly Working with AVC/HEVC media was fast like working with Proxy files. Rendering the output was fast too especially if I just cut the clips without grading them. However, on Xeon/1080 Ti workstation, it was simply a nightmare. Editing without proxy was always unacceptable. There was no way to export HEVC too. The only option to export HEVC file was to check out the project and render it on the laptop.

In Edius X, additonal support to NVENC was great. I was even able to export 8K/50p 10-bit HDR HEVC video at a speed of about 1:12 (1 minute 8K video with grading took 12 minutes to render into HEVC). That's pretty good as Premiere doesn't support hardware encoding for such output and even outputting 1 minute of similar video in H.264 took 38 minutes.

Still, there are two major problems with Edius X:
    1. It seems directly Working with AVC/HEVC media still requires Quicksync for GPU acceleration. Basically i5-8565U laptop worked better than Xeon/1080 Ti workstation.
    2. Proxy appeared to be broken in current version of Edius X.

As a result, while rendering speed is decent with NVENC, editing on Xeon/nVidia GPU is hardly usable.
    Until Edius is updated in the future, unfortunately this is how it works. There’s already been a hint in another post that Edius will be compatible with other CPUs and GPUs. If this is the case then maybe we get extra codec decoding abilities, including h.265, with something other than QuickSync and hopefully with AMD GPUs as well as Nvidia. Maybe we will also see FX processing with GPU.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Working...
    X