Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius X Gives me too many issues to be usable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, it may surprise you, but NOT automatically adding the exported clip to the Bin was a very frequent request.
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

I am surprised about that request, as I do like to check the exports using the TV via BMD and I like them easy to find in the project, but I do find the where it goes (to the currently open bin) to be messy. A long chat to support and we concluded that a sequence settings option to determine where the sequence itself is located (again it goes in the currently open bin which means it is easy to lose it if it is closed), and where/which folder the associated Titles and Exports are to be kept might be a better approach. This way it doesn't matter which bin the sequence has gone into, the sequence settings will move it to where the editor wants it to live. The feedback was it was not it seems a high priority in Japan but understood why it was asked for.
      Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 64 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

The other issue I have is that 3rd party plugins can crash Edius when play is attempted and there is no hope of real time playback.

It is a bit like Windows 95 in that an app not responding could take down and freeze the OS.

Edius needs to protect its core if a plugin doesn't respond as expected.

For example if we look at the NB Bonus Pack Viewfinder is fine but Old TV is not I have had this issue for years with Edius 7/8/9/X NB and it improves dramatically if the GPU is disabled for that plugin. Some of their plugins have an X at the end which I assume means made for Edius X, viewfinder does not and neither does Old TV.

However a re-test on the latest Edius X Old TV is now not locking up Edius, so thanks it seems to have improved. (Tested on 3840 by 50p HDR/HLG project) added to an XAVCI clip.

I am not playing in real time an export to H265 from the same project brought back into the timeline. The CPU is 93% no leveraging of the NVIDIA card to assist observed, and the buffer at 1/2. When played in Daum Pot Player on the desktop the CPU is at 4.9% and the GPU Video Engine shows 27%.

Why is Edius X making such a meal of it?

Again in the same project 1 layer of XAVCI Slog3 plus PCC plus Matrix sharpening (in SLog3 Sony CINE EI the camera detail is switched off so it needs to be added later) is as much as I can play. Add a Title and I am no longer real time.

One of the issues here is that to get the HDR from the SLOG3 clip the PCC needs adding. But PCC needs fixing (and for Edius 9) as the GPU acceleration switched on gives no real time playback at all (despite the GPU core showing as 23%) and I don't get why it is considerably slower with the GPU on with a GTX 1080TI than with it off. The point at which it is better with the GPU on is in a 720 by 576 project.

Playback of XAVCI 3840 by 2160 50p is as follows

CPU 30% no filters.
        CPU 60% with Matrix sharpening only
        CPU 60% with PCC only, PCC creates a heavy load
        CPU 78% with both

So getting PCC acceleration fixed is a big issue for me.

I prefer Matrix as the sharpness filter adds a white glow on the right hand side of vertical lines and seems it is only horizontal whereas Matrix seems to be vertical and horizontal.

There are options in the system settings on GPUfx: Multi sample type None, non maskable, 2, 4, 8 and quality level of 1,2, & 3. Is there any advice what to set these to? (Left at default)

Mike
        Last edited by createmedia; 09-29-2020, 04:17 PM.
        Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 64 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post

when exporting, the job monitor icon in EDIUS taskbar turns purple, as soon as the export is finished, it turns grey, so while editing you can get an idea when the export is finished
          Anton, I was just exporting and had the purple icon in the bottom right, when it went away I assumed my export was complete but it was not???

createmedia - Back when I was using Edius Neo 2 (my first version I think) I couldn't upgrade to Neo 3.5, they said there were too many versions in between, so I had to buy Neo 3.5, then upgrade to Pro 6, Pro 8, Pro 9 now X
          so if I get desperate and need to capture anything from my Sony's I still have full rights to use my original Neo 2 lol

I am desperately due for a new desktop (2012) ... have replaced power supply, C drive (solid state) d drive, lol
          just the original CPU/Motherboard (gitabyte) graphics and fan!! - I'm amazed to have gotten almost 9 years out of a desktop.. back 15 years ago that didn't happen... but unless you're a super hard core gamer requirements havn't really gone up

(besides this install issue with x apparently that i didn't have the first time around)

also they're kind enough to let us keep using 9 if we want to without our licence being hurt by it
          so I guess you can capture that

- My Sony FX1's don't really get used
          the last time I used them was for an Indian wedding in 2018 where I needed to record with about 5 cameras at once..
          the thing is they cost $5000 new, not including extra batteries, chargers, the tapes, tripod, bag etc
          selling the best I'd get now is maybe $800 including all the batteries so it just seems to make more sense to keep it as an emergency camera should i ever need an extra for some kind of event

the timing really sucked coz i bought the first one August 2007, and the 2nd one May 2008

by Sep 2009 I was filming on DSLR but I used the Sony's for backup actively until about 2012 so you could say I got my moneys worth

www.skysimonephotography.com
          www.skysimonefilm.com
          www.facebook.com/skysimonephoto

Laptop:
          ASUS - 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD - Metal Star Gray
          Edius Pro 9 Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by tryingtolearn View Post

Anton, I was just exporting and had the purple icon in the bottom right, when it went away I assumed my export was complete but it was not???
            what makes you think that it was not finished?

Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Working...
            X