Drive images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive images

Does anyone here use drive image backups of their system? Does it work with the software we use needing activations and serial numbers and stuff? I just got done rebuilding my system due to a virus I couldnt remove and it would be nice not to have to spend a day re-installing every little plug in and program when I need to do this.
    Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Sure is
    I use a program called XML. (It's Free)

I made a custom boot CD so any sign of troubles or something naughty I downloaded which messed up my system I reboot with the CD in. 20 mins later I have my 7.33 GIG Sytem drive all back to normal again. I have Adobe CS3 & Illustrator CS3 and they both work again no problems after a restore.

They only thing you have to remember is never never never save anything to you C: system drive.
    Win 10 pro, Intel Core i7 8700K, ASRock Z370 Extreme 4, 16 GIGs Corsair Vengeance 3000 Ram, Single SATA drives, Nvidia GTX 560.
    www.flykam.com.au www.wagscapes.com.au

Comment

Acronis true image home.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/?source=us_google&ad=acronis&s_scid=acronis|115751 1917&gclid=CODg56XnoZICFRYoawodRAFoRw

Comment

I use Acronis TrueImage as well. Even though it allows you to schedule automatic backups, I make them myself periodically, usually to an internal RAID1 array, and periodically I copy one of the backups to an external drive.

I've got a recovery CD that I can boot from, but my preferred method is a bootable USB thumb drive. Access is much faster, and the drive is easy to carry with me.

Comment

cool thanks! When you say never save anything to your system drive you mean video related right?
          Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Comment

When you backup with software you can't back up to the same drive you are backing up. You back up to an external drive, another hard drive or CD or DVD media. Although CD and DVD media are not that reliable. I use Acronis and do a full backup to another hard drive on my computer once a week. I do not delete that backup file until I make another complete backup the following week. Once complete I then delete the first backup. Doing it this way I always have a backup in case something goes wrong during the backup process. I find Acronis very reliable.

Comment

got it thanks, I think im going to upgrade my Nero it comes with something to do it.
              Randy

Comment

Yes never save anything to your C: system drive if you use my method. Emails/ web sites, video and any files you have created go to another partition or drive as they are made.

You can dump-backup to the same physical drive no problems but it just has to be partitioned. The trick is to build your system, make sure it all works then back it up so that way you can easy dump it back to 100% perfect everytime. This method I use allows me to download and do whatever because you always know it is so easy to get it all back perfect again....life's easy...who cares about viruses or bugs.

Backing up every few days is not as good as you may be also backing up any problems/bugs/etc. Best to start a clean slate every time your do a restore. Virus/bugs only ever hit the operating system.
                Win 10 pro, Intel Core i7 8700K, ASRock Z370 Extreme 4, 16 GIGs Corsair Vengeance 3000 Ram, Single SATA drives, Nvidia GTX 560.
                www.flykam.com.au www.wagscapes.com.au

Comment

Never back up to another partition on the same physical drive -- if the drive fails, you won't have a backup that you can restore onto a replacement hard drive.

That's the whole point of making a image backup: being able to do a bare-metal restore, i.e. taking a completely new drive with absolutely nothing on it, and getting you back to a working condition in the fastest time possible and with the least amount of work. That means no manual OS installation, service packs, security updates, searching for program installation CDs and product keys, downloads of updates etc.

Comment

Most backup software will not allow you to back up to the same drive even if it is on a different partition. Somehow the software knows it is the same drive.

Comment

Acronis and a spare drive. Simply perfect insurance.
                      George Dame
                      Grass Valley / Canopus System Integrator - Nearly 13 Years
                      Providing Systems, Onsite Delivery, Support & Training Services Nationwide
                      Get Your Copy of The Edius 6 Comprehensive Tutorial by contacting me via PM, email or phone
                      Invite us to your local video association for a full demonstration!
                      www.editHD.com - 1-877-ieditDV

Comment

I use a program called Drive Image 7 but there are many out there that do the same thing. It has saved my butt many times. I save an image to 2 external firewire 800 drives just in case. As one of the Lacie reps told me last year at NAB, "All drives will fail eventually".

I also use a program called "partition magic" for my non editing laptop. I've had to replace the hard drive 3 times in this dinosaur - upgrading to a bigger one each time. I used both programs to get up and running fast!
                        Jim Edds www.ExtremeStorms.com

Edius 5.51, I7 980x Hex Core, 3.33 GHz, 12GB DDR3, HD Spark, 250GB SSD, Win7 64 bit, 4x2TB RAID 5 eSATA array (200-225mb/sec), 4 hot swappable internal SATAII misc.. drives; Cams: Panasonic AG-DVX200, Go Pro; Edius 5.51/HP 8710W & 17 in mid 2010 MBP/Adobe CC suite.

Comment

Maybe other programs can do the same thing, but TrueImage can repartition the drive when it restores, so if you replace your drive with something larger (either because of drive failure or because you need more space), you have several options:
                          • Create proportionally sized partitions where the partition sizes are the same percentage as on the original drive.
                          • Keep the partition sizes (in MB/GB) and leave unused space for new partition(s).
                          • Control partition sizes manually. You can grow one partition, shrink another etc.
                          This also works if you restore to a smaller drive. If you had a 320GB drive, it's 2AM with a job due in the morning, and you have a 250GB drive lying around, TrueImage can shrink and reallocate the partitions provided you don't have more than 250GB of data to restore.

Comment

I have been using both Ghost from Symantec and TrueImage, and I like trueImage the best. I just boot on the CD, loads the program and make an image onto my NAS or ext. drive.

I always make an image of my PC's with OS and drivers only and one with OS, drivers and NLE. In this ways I can make a 'fresh' install of my NLE any time.

/Ulf
                            Best regards * Ulf * Denmark
                            mail to me
                            Main system: i7 3930K, 3.2 GHz @ 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM , 2 x WD 1TB Raid 0, 2 x 1 TB HDD, 1 x SSD boot, Nvidia GFX 570, Win 7 64.
                            Second system: i7 970, 3.2 GHz, 24 GB RAM, Asus P6T, Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB systemdrive, 4 x WD 1TB in raid 5, 1 WD 500 GB for exports, Asus GTX 460 Win 7 64.
                            Third system: Dell Precision M4600, i7 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2GB, 2 x SSD, win 7 64 Pro.

Edius 7.01 & 6.54 & - VisTitle 2

Comment

Working...
                            X