edius 8 vs ssd alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edius 8 vs ssd alternative

hi, as you know I have an SSD in which I installed windows 10 pro and also Edius 8.5.
    they told me it would be better to install edius 8 pro in a separate ssd, dedicated only for edius, now i ask can it be done?
    with premiere pro for example they tell me that you can't, you have to install it on the same ssd where windows 10 is located.
    while with fcpx on mac it seems you can also install it on a separate ssd, what do you recommend, can i install edius 8 pro on an ssd just for him?
    and if you must first deactivate the license and uninstall edisu 8, and then reinstall it on its dedicated ssd?
    or can i drag edius 8 pro directly to the new dedicated ssd?
    thank you
    I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

Having Edius installed on a separate drive is not the important point. Storing the video and project files on the other drive is the important thing.

Once Edius is running, just like all programs, it is actually running from the computer's RAM as much as possible and only accessing the hard drives to read new plugins, setting, media, save the project or export. Since the media, exports, and saving is all done on the other drive, there is actually not much needed from the C drive, so why do you think installation on another drive is needed.
    Edius WG 9.52.6153, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Originally posted by BernH View Post
      Having Edius installed on a separate drive is not the important point. Storing the video and project files on the other drive is the important thing.

Once Edius is running, just like all programs, it is actually running from the computer's RAM as much as possible and only accessing the hard drives to read new plugins, setting, media, save the project or export. Since the media, exports, and saving is all done on the other drive, there is actually not much needed from the C drive, so why do you think installation on another drive is needed.

In fact edius 8 is installed on the same ssd where windows 10 is located, while caching and projects on another separate ssd.
      and the video files I need are in another dedicated ssd.
      but they told me that if i put edius 8 in an ssd just for him i will have more fluidity in video editing, will it be true?
      or is it just fantasy?
      thank you
      I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

Comment

Who is they? I dont know anyone that has the actual program on a separate drive by itself. As Bern suggested, have the program installed on the C: drive and, if possible, have the actual EDIUS Projects (along with associated media files) on a separate hard drive.
        Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10

Comment

Good question Pat. Who is the mysterious "they". They obviously don't understand enough about how computers/software works to give correct advice.

As I said, edius does not access the software drive for much after the initial startup, so no real benefit to have it installed on another drive.

The only way to reliably install it on another drive, would be to install all programs on another drive, changing the windows program files environment variables in turn so that all software can find the shared files that they require.Then all your programs are on this other drive, and you would loose any percieved advantage you think you might be gaining.

You mentioned doing this in a Mac with FCP. Mac programs (the apps) are generally self contained programs, where the .app is really a folder that contains everything the software needs to run, so it can be moved around easily. Windows uses a shared file structure to avoid having to install a file in a new location for every program. This is why you would also likely need to move all programs and change environment variables. Of course Windows doesn't do this during install so trying to manhandle it all into place afterwards is not something you really should even be thinking about.
          Last edited by BernH; 07-01-2020, 02:51 PM.
          Edius WG 9.52.6153, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

They who gave me these tips are not in this forum, but they are acquaintances of my city, so as you say I am not experts, I just wanted to know your opinion as real experts, now I have had it, and I will leave everything as it is , thanks for your help.
            Hello.

Comment

To quote my Son who is a lawyer, "Why is it that all these people handing out legal advice cut hair or drive taxis"?
              Steer clear of the "theys".

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post
                To quote my Son who is a lawyer, "Why is it that all these people handing out legal advice cut hair or drive taxis"?
                Steer clear of the "theys".

hahahahhha you are right, i will follow your advice.

Comment

Well, to complete others answers, I think that fluidity is first given by the HDD/SSD disk wich contains the video files. So all very recent 7200 HDD or SSD will be sufficient IMHO. Another point that can help is the memories installed in the computer ... and managed by Edius as buffer. There is a maximum of frames you can decide in Edius. This buffer helps when Edius is calculating some effects that needs more time so that "pre-calculation" is done when the cursor is coming in these difficult part... Finaly, some times, it's good to put in/out points and ask Edius to "precalculate" the zone...

Hope that this can help.
                  Yvon durieux alias "Haddock" Belgium GMT + 2

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, [email protected], 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Haddock View Post
                    Well, to complete others answers, I think that fluidity is first given by the HDD/SSD disk wich contains the video files. So all very recent 7200 HDD or SSD will be sufficient IMHO. Another point that can help is the memories installed in the computer ... and managed by Edius as buffer. There is a maximum of frames you can decide in Edius. This buffer helps when Edius is calculating some effects that needs more time so that "pre-calculation" is done when the cursor is coming in these difficult part... Finaly, some times, it's good to put in/out points and ask Edius to "precalculate" the zone...

Hope that this can help.

​​​​​​Thanks for your advice, but how can I enable the BUFFET so that it works at its best?
                    thank you

Comment

The buffers are simply reserved RAM that edius uses for pre-loading video frames. The only setting is how much RAM you want to reserve for edius. This in turn changes the number of frames that can be buffered, which also is dependent on the video resolution. This setting is under System Settings > Playback

see my post #23 here https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...-ryzen-9-3900x

Buffers are also explained in the edius manual available here https://www.edius.net/downloads/en/pro9manual.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by BernH View Post
                        The buffers are simply reserved RAM that edius uses for pre-loading video frames. The only setting is how much RAM you want to reserve for edius. This in turn changes the number of frames that can be buffered, which also is dependent on the video resolution. This setting is under System Settings > Playback

see my post #23 here https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...-ryzen-9-3900x

Buffers are also explained in the edius manual available here https://www.edius.net/downloads/en/pro9manual.pdf
                        thank you so much

Comment

Working...
                        X