10bit to 8bit when black and white?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10bit to 8bit when black and white?

I have a lot of 16mm and 35mm film scans in the following file format ProRes 422 HQ 10-bit

Does it really matter if the content is black and white if I convert it to 8-bit during restoration, am I losing any information/quality in the conversion? From what I've researched online it sounds like it only matters if it's color.

try this little test

start an 8bit project and add a color matte with two shades of gray (no color) in a diagonal way, you will see horrible banding
    now switch project to 10bit and the banding is gone
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 07-01-2020, 04:45 AM.
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS 9 WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

the advantage with 10bit is that you can have many more shades of any colour or in your case, shades of white and black. you might be lucky and can use 8bit as you might not have any banding, but I would recommend 10bit. you never know what you might need to do to the footage moving forward, and if you need to grade something, better to have 10bit than 8bit in most cases.

Comment

Working...
      X