Graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card

I am suffering from constantly rendering when editing in 4K. I'm running Edius 8.5 on an [email protected], the card in use is Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti, the power supply is 750W. Can someone advise if one of the following graphics cards will work please. All Nvidia, GTX 1660, GTX 1660Ti or 1660 Super. I want to try and future proof as well. I feel it should be the 1660Ti only because my card is a Ti. Any advice will be appreciated

There is no Nvidia assistance for 4k playback in EDIUS 8
    All you can do is get the WG version, that way you can lower preview res and get realtime playback
    or get a PC with onboard graphics, that way you can enable the hardware decoder of the Intel onboard graphics
    or you can convert the 4k files to HQ in the bin, these should play realtime
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS 9 WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

When you say you are constantly rendering is this because the buffer drops to zero and the timeline is flagged in RED or because the overlay is jerky? If EDIUS is flagging it for render you do not have enough CPU power and you have to use proxies or lower res preview (the latter is only in EDIUS WG as Anton said).
      If the buffer is climbing and there are no red flags then a better GPU should give a better on screen display. It won't do much more than that currently.
      EDIUS silver certified trainer.
      Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

I would wait on purchasing anything new just now. This would include system wide hardware purchases . Nvidia should be releasing the 3000 series in September. Edius 10 will be released in September. It would be to your advantage to hold off and see what, if any, new hardware requirements or software improvements are implemented in Edius 10.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com
        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Both systems on Gigabit network
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I appreciate all your replies.
          Very good point David. It is because the buffer drops to one and the timeline is flagged in RED. To me it is the GPU, am I correct. The original footage is ok but when I increase the speed to a large percentage that's when it goes red and all stops.

Comment

Your frame rate will make a difference in how good your playback will be. If you are in 3840x2160 25p, change the frame size to 1920x1080 and try the playback. It should be better. Your chip is a Haswell chip. My 4790k is a Haswell chip. However, I have quicksync decode for avc based clips. Most UHD files are avc based.
            With QS decode, I get a push during playback. Then on top of that, I have Workgroup and the Preview Quality option to lower the quality to 1/2. This gives me smooth playback in 1080 60p(using 3840x2160 60p files).
            Do the clips have any filters applied to them? If not, and you have changed your frame size to 1920x1080, then it is the CPU. Edius has always be a CPU intensive application. Discrete GPU's are only utilized with effects that are GPU enabled, i.e., PCC, 3rd party filters, and transitions. Systems that are on 'Z' series motherboards with 'K' series chips have the QS decode option. Your system is considered an 'X' system.
            You have the Proxy option to also consider. This will give you much better playback.

I would hold off on purchasing anything just yet. You may have to consider more than just a new GPU.......depending on your desired workflow.
            Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com
            If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
            http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Both systems on Gigabit network
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Thanks Jerry. I have the Stabilizer on all clips. The project requires me to reduce 24hours of recording in timelapse of one frame every 10 seconds over 5 weeks to a maximum length of 1.25 mins. Edius and my PC is getting there but it is quite slow, as you can imagine. I will have to look in September at a complete upgrade, until then I will make a coffee and eat biscuits whilst the rendering is taking place. I will certainly look at my settings and try what you have suggested.
              Until then thanks to all for your help. Any further advice will be very welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X