The move to Vista 64 bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The move to Vista 64 bit

So with the release of the roadmap I am pretty close to jumping on the Vista 64 bit train.
    Before I do and assuming I jumped into my time machine and have EDIUS 5.
    What are the most likely things I should be concerned about? Should i still look at a 32 bit and 64 bit install on seperate boot drives?

..and will CS3 programs work well on Vista 64 bit through the cards output? assuming by then we have CS3 output plugins (After Effects, Photoshop), what's up with that?

You should be more concerned if you can find hardware drivers for all of your devices :)

Software should work fine.

Comment

Hardware Drivers

Don't worry about hardware drivers, their is no problems only with Grass Valley hardware who are a bit slow on the 64bit side of things, Most things run fine under Vista 64bit, i.e Software + Hardware, You must remember that if you have a problem with any software you can add the .exe files to DEP Data Execution Prevention, you shouldn't have any problems then with software, I have posted threads on Vista 64bit in the past if you have a look under swsw1550 you should find them, Hope this helps a little.
      I find that most people do not have a good knowlegde on 64bit machines and take the plunge and end up in all sorts of strife.. Do some research on Vista 64bit. I have been using 64bit Vista since before the public release and before that XP 64bit, never had a problem finding drivers ect, (Raid, sound, Graphics, Chipset, ect)

Regards
      Steve
      Ex Microsoft Design Engineer
      Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

I agree with that - I had all HW drivers for XP 64bit Edition ready and the missing NX 64bit driver was the show stopper for a 64bit Video system long time ago.
        In the meantime they talk all of Vista 64bit but I hope the expected NX 64bit driver will run on XP 64bit Professional Edition too.

Comment

Yes, I too am running XP x64 Professional. I hope the driver will work with this OS as well.

Thanks!
          Sincerely,

Mike Truly
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          Truly Media
          www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Truly View Post
            Yes, I too am running XP x64 Professional. I hope the driver will work with this OS as well.
            At this stage, it isn't known yet if XP x64 support will eventuate for our drivers. IF it happens, it'd only be for those boards that are listed for Vista support. (e.g. NX, SP, etc)

Comment

I've got my fingers crossed!
              Sincerely,

Mike Truly
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              Truly Media
              www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K

Comment

Some stuff I want to play with still doesn't have x64 drivers, like Belkin's USB Network hub.
                That said, my primary PC is x64 (I don't have EDIUS hardware) and caveats aside, things are going OK so far.

But I guess if you're only doing video, you should be OK - RAID, Ethernet, and Graphics hardware is well supported if it's recent hardware.

As for the question... I would install 64-bit OS and 32-bit OS on separate drives.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
                  Some stuff I want to play with still doesn't have x64 drivers, like Belkin's USB Network hub.
                  That said, my primary PC is x64 (I don't have EDIUS hardware) and caveats aside, things are going OK so far.

But I guess if you're only doing video, you should be OK - RAID, Ethernet, and Graphics hardware is well supported if it's recent hardware.

As for the question... I would install 64-bit OS and 32-bit OS on separate drives.
                  Brandon,
                  Did SP1 fix the write speed issue with Vista? That is my main concern, after drivers, of course.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com
                  If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                  http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                  Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    Did SP1 fix the write speed issue with Vista? That is my main concern, after drivers, of course.
                    Don't know, you'll have to ask Kenneally about that one... I'm running XP Pro x64

Comment

Working...
                    X