Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D PiP Issues

Originally posted by GrassValley_MD View Post
    Like I said before... We are very aware of this and looking at it at this time.

Mike
    Well folks, I've read all your kind posts and now it's confirmed: the old issues in 3D PiP keyer are still alive right from the initial Edius release.

Basically, 3D PiP keyers has been the same one from the early Edius beginning day and it's the one that was written and delivered for Premiere 6.5 to be used with Storm card.

And same thing is for all the remaining 2D/3D transitions and filters.
    They were ported in Edius and sold as ravishing new powerful Edius features.

This is bad.

In effects/filters arena Camopus/Grass Vally has made no improvements, no restyling, no additions.

The real thing is that, in my opinion, Canopus has never been strong in 3D matter like their own cards. There are good (old) video filters like Chroma/Lumakey and Color Correction. But as for 3D, better forget.

Edius is quiet good and stable but must be upgraded on effects side: it's bad to get a good engine performing good RT power and dealing with clunky transitions/filters (Tunnel filter, Raster filter... what? Simple toys 5 or more years old).

Mine is not an accusation to Canopus or Grass Valley.

Edius is good and with a powerful engine giving a lot RT feel, but must be powered up in effects area.

That's my poor opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Belphegor View Post
      Edius is good and with a powerful engine giving a lot RT feel, but must be powered up in effects area.
      Yes, and we have a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
        Yes, and we have a plan.
        That is great to hear BH.
        I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Originally posted by Belphegor View Post
          Well folks, I've read all your kind posts and now it's confirmed: the old issues in 3D PiP keyer are still alive right from the initial Edius release.

Since I was a user all the way up to a year ago when I was employed I can tell you tat everyone has known the 3D PiP was from before. It was never hidden in nayway that it was not new.

With that said I know of some folks around the world that get great results with it... they have just figured it out :)

Mike

Comment

Although it's no longer supported and will eventually disappear, now might be a good time to point out the Xplode Composer effect, which is in the Keyers if you have Xplode Professional 4.5 installed. You can do a number of cool things with it.

Comment

Dve

I think if you want to fly whole video frames around, it works as good or better than every other software driven app. Not unuseable at all, I made a set of flying video frames over the proverbial moving bg , all went mostly as expected...I don't have any issues till I put a still in there with a non 4:3 logo....DVE makes its own alpha channel I guess but it needs to use alpha info from still's alpha which it partly does....till you need a border or shadow (glow would be nice). Then we mention explode....and that's valid there are jillions of options once we leave edius there's after fx, Boris etc....thing is once I need to go back to afterfx, I start think might as well stay in Prmiere...keep it all simpler. Boris has the coolest DVE going but the render penalty keeps it from being d'bomb...guess most people in NLE worlds though forget what a real dve really did.

still trying to pick an editing future....
              Jdroadie
              Philly, PA
              Edius 7.53 HDSpark, I7920, GTX470 Win7 64

Comment

Originally posted by jdroadie View Post
                I think if you want to fly whole video frames around, it works as good or better than every other software driven app. Not unuseable at all, I made a set of flying video frames over the proverbial moving bg , all went mostly as expected...I don't have any issues till I put a still in there with a non 4:3 logo....DVE makes its own alpha channel I guess but it needs to use alpha info from still's alpha which it partly does....till you need a border or shadow (glow would be nice). Then we mention explode....and that's valid there are jillions of options once we leave edius there's after fx, Boris etc....thing is once I need to go back to afterfx, I start think might as well stay in Prmiere...keep it all simpler. Boris has the coolest DVE going but the render penalty keeps it from being d'bomb...guess most people in NLE worlds though forget what a real dve really did.

still trying to pick an editing future....
                Why should I use Boris FX and Edius when I can just use Premiere Pro CS3? I like Edius but the CS3 package is hard to beat. I use Photoshop now and I have been wanting to get AE. With CS3 and FCS I think it would be wise for Canopus te keep revamping Xplode Pro and Imaginate.

Comment

Originally posted by medeamajic View Post
                  Why should I use Boris FX and Edius when I can just use Premiere Pro CS3? I like Edius but the CS3 package is hard to best. I use Photshop now and I have been wanting to get AE. With CS3 and FCS I think it would have been wise for Canopus te keep revamping Xplode Pro and Imaginate.
                  I really don't think we will see those products disappear with nothing to take their place. We should see a long needed consolidation and new tool that will be better then before.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
                    I really don't think we will see those products disappear with nothing to take their place. We should see a long needed consolidation and new tool that will be better then before.

I agree. I hope Adobe and Canopus both have something to show us at NAB 2008.

Comment

I doubt Canopus will but GV might ;-)

Actually I doubt you will see any big new versions of Edius at NAB.

Comment

You will see EDIUS 4.6. Nothing further than that.

Xplode for EDIUS and Xplode Professional will continue to run up to 4.x. Support for both of these ended some time ago, and the engine is well and truly dated.

Xplode for EDIUS will be replaced by something new, and Xplode Professional simply die off outright, when we head into the next version of EDIUS.

Imaginate at this stage, has no known future. The engineering for it no longer exists.

As Brandon and Mike have said, 3D PiP is getting looked at..

Comment

Edius 5: 3D PiP

On 16-03-2008 I questioned about 3D PiP issues in Edius 4.6 (see my post dated 16-03-2008 at http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ead.php?t=5216).

Now, in Edius version 5, I still see no improvements in 3D PiP keyer:

1)you still cannot modify the lenght of the PiP leaving the height unchanged. Pratically, with 3D PiP you can scale (pan/zoom) the image always proportionally in lenght and height. More, you cannot have a round or oval PiP or a rectangular Pip. You can only work on a squared PiP;

2)you still cannot apply a Page-Turn filter correctly to graphics because a small black line stays visible on the bottom border of the picture while the Page-Turn is on the go. This is clearly due to a bad Alpha handling of the filter. Example: create a title and put it on V1 track. Apply a 3D PiP to scale it down, then apply a Page-Turn filter. The result is a title with Alpha with the visible black bottom line of the video right where the Page-Turn begins;

3)you still cannot see the timeline layers above the one you are setting up. Briefly you have no in-context editing feel allowing you to see all the tracks. Example: if you stack clips on V1, V2, v3 tracks and apply 3D PiP to each of them and put them to different corners of the monitors, if you are working with settings of the 3D PiP in the V2 layer, you only see V1 track and not V3 track.
                          This is awful because this enforce you to enter in each track to fine position the 3D Pip;

5)you still cannot use graphics with its original size because 3D PiP always resamples the graphics to project settings. Simply it is not possible to pan/zoom graphics in 3D space maintaining the original size and this forces you to pay in quality and sharpness.

I my previous post mentioned above, GrassValley_BH agreed with me and stated "we have a plan".
                          Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
                          Yes, and we have a plan.
                          Now I'm asking: where has this plan gone?
                          And what sort of plan was it?

I need explanations.

Edius version 5 ?

Delusion.

Comment

equally dissapointed

Yes I agree. I have already unistalled 5.0 demo....went right to it, PIP found nothing changed, same issues with Boris Graffitti, alpha....I guess 5.0 can support everything but RED but still with one glaring dissappointment....I am stuck in Matrox' buggy world but at least the DVE is useful.

Still waiting....(and missing Velocity)
                            Jdroadie
                            Philly, PA
                            Edius 7.53 HDSpark, I7920, GTX470 Win7 64

Comment

multishape 3dpip was my question in last times too but now !!!!????
                              may be in v6.0 ;)
                              sorry for my english.

Comment

Caterina,

I agree with you about better alpha handling, but as was pointed out a while back there are several settings that will take care of part of your problems.

For your number 2) regarding thin black lines, go to the Project Settings and set Overscan Handling to 0%. It defaults to 3%, and what you see is the result. Setting to 0% should take care of the black lines. However, I am curious as to how you apply a Page Turn to the 3D PIP. Normally 3D PIP does not allow you to add a seperate transition, like Page Turn. Please explain . .

For your 3) regarding inability to see other layers, go to the Menu/Settings/Application Settings/Playback, and check the box that says "Combine Filter Layers and Track Layers (for effect settings)". This will allow you to see all of the layers as you adjust your PIP.

I'm not sure why both the overscan handling and the playback settings default to where they do, but there must be some reason for it.

I would really like to know about your applying a Page Peel to a 3D PIP. I would like to learn how to do that.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X