Playback Stutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playback Stutters

Couple of headaches with Edius. We are editing SD footage only from the Sony PD170s. XP has all Microsoft updates and we're using the latest Nvidia video drivers.

First, we get the "Disk too slow" message when trying to capture. This seems to have been a frequent discussion on the board for a while. Maybe somebody has come up with a cure. We could use Scenalyzer as a workaround for this issue but would rather do it in Edius.

Our biggest issue, during playback from the timeline, is that it randomly starts dragging, playback becomes very slow and the sound starts stuttering; and the top of the timeline goes red, asking for rendering. At this point it is not usuable, and a reboot is required. That makes it better for a while. This happens with the mixer off. This happens with only one video track and one audio track, no video filters, either no audio filters or the graphic EQ applied.

Edius 4.54, Software only. WinXP 32 bit. One 500 gig system hard drive. Two 500 gig data drives, not RAID.

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

3 Drives -- Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

PLEXTOR Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA Super Multi DVD Burner

NVidia Quadro FX1500 PCI Express
    Main Edit Station: Edius 6.02, Gigabyte UD5, i7-950 @ 4.0, GTX 470, 12 GB GSkil, HD Spark, 4 TB RAID0 WD RE Video Drive, 2 TB RAID0 Render Drive
    2nd Computer: Edius 6.03, Asus P6X58D-E, i7-950 @ 3.07, Radeon 2600, 6 GB Corsair, 1.5 TB RAID0 Video Drive

How many streams of video are playing simultaneously and what effects are on them?

The "dragging" simply sounds like the system can't keep up in real-time so it's dropping frames (check whether Stop Playback on Frame Drop is enabled).

Are you playing using just Space or are you using Shift-Space to pre-load the playback buffer?

I'm not sure why rebooting would help... Is there other software running in the background, like antivirus software?

Also check how much RAM is free in Task Manager. It could be that you're running out of RAM and the system is starting to use virtual memory after a while - that can slow everything down tremendously.

Comment

I had to also make sure to check that the xplode Pro hardware driver is installed.

You can check this by looking in the Edius Direcory on your HD.

Should say 3D Renderer to use- ATI Hardware Renderer.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

Comment

I would check the RAM first.....had that in V1, and RAM was the culprit then......Oh, by the way....DVCapture works great, both in hardware and OCHI systems....thats all I ever use, and you can capture 3 video streams at the same time, with full deck control.

Comment

This can happen with only 1 video stream, no filters on the video.

Using shift space makes no difference. The playback buffer jumps up to 169 or 170 and stays there either way.

Stop playback at frame drop is not checked.

Phisical Memory in task manager, 2 gigs total and 1.24 available, have not seen it drop below 1 gig during playback.

Symantec Antivirus autoprotect is normally on. Disabling that did not change anything.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the Xplode Pro driver. There is an Xplode EDIUS directory. I don't have an ATI card so does use ATI hardware render apply?

I have run the memory test tech support suggested when I built this system. Guess I could try that again. What is currently recommended for this testing?

I defraged last weekend.
          Main Edit Station: Edius 6.02, Gigabyte UD5, i7-950 @ 4.0, GTX 470, 12 GB GSkil, HD Spark, 4 TB RAID0 WD RE Video Drive, 2 TB RAID0 Render Drive
          2nd Computer: Edius 6.03, Asus P6X58D-E, i7-950 @ 3.07, Radeon 2600, 6 GB Corsair, 1.5 TB RAID0 Video Drive

Comment

Originally posted by BillBarrett View Post
            This can happen with only 1 video stream, no filters on the video.

Using shift space makes no difference. The playback buffer jumps up to 169 or 170 and stays there either way.

Stop playback at frame drop is not checked.

Phisical Memory in task manager, 2 gigs total and 1.24 available, have not seen it drop below 1 gig during playback.

Symantec Antivirus autoprotect is normally on. Disabling that did not change anything.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the Xplode Pro driver. There is an Xplode EDIUS directory. I don't have an ATI card so does use ATI hardware render apply?

I have run the memory test tech support suggested when I built this system. Guess I could try that again. What is currently recommended for this testing?

I defraged last weekend.
            Problem I had was if I was using a firewire drive for my video... also

look at this post. Look for the post by Antonsvideo and d/l the ATI/Nvidia Driver and put it in the Stages folder. Open up xPlode Pro Config and Select the new driver from the Stages folder. Its in you C: Programs/Canopus/edius/xplode pro or xplode for Edius.

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...deo+ati&page=2
            ---------------------------------------------------
            Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

Comment

I don't think the OP is using Xplode transitions, as they say it happens even with one video track.

Symantec Autoprotect can be nasty on the system as it scans every file as it's accessed.

There must be some kind of bottleneck in the system hardware or some program running that's stealing CPU time away.

Does the disk activity light up more when the system slows down than when it's running normally?

By the model number, it sounds like the motherboard has built-in Wi-Fi. Is that enabled? If so, can you try disabling it?

It could also be a CPU cooling issue (the CPU may be overheating and being slowed down do it doesn't fry)... this would be in-line with the system running OK at first, then slowing down with use. The reboot would give the CPU time to "rest" and cool down a bit. But once you get back into EDIUS it'd eventually overheat again.

Comment

It could also be a harddrive.

Have you checked all of the drives to make sure that one of them is not starting to fail?

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. Can you suggest a drive test I can run on these? I'm planning to copy everything to an external drive, wipe all these drives and set up one as a system drive, the other two in a RAID 0.

Comment

Hardware issue, Not Edius fault!

Wanted to update everyone on this issue. Bottom line, my power supply was failing. The fan in the back of the power supply stopped intermittently. This machine is in a desk such that I couldn't see that fan. It finally died when I had it apart for troubleshooting. So, the motherboard was getting dirty power and became very unstable.

A new power supply and I'm back in the saddle!

Comment

Thanks for the update! So many things can go wrong with computers these days!

Comment

recently i have the same problem...
                        i'm running edius 4.51c in vista ultimate 32-bit system
                        AMD x2 6000+ 2 gig DDR2(RAMOS) and geforce8400 256mb
                        it suddenly shut down n blue screen "dumping physical memory bla..bla"
                        almost 2-3 times in 12 hours editing...never have this problem in my old 3.0HT winXPsystem... is the problem from vista?memory or BAD power supply?
                        Tx for the advice
                        MOtion Candid CApture
                        www.houseofmocca.com
                        Indonesia

Comment

Could be any of those. Also could be a faulty graphics driver, storage driver, etc. It's very difficult to say.

You need to capture the STOP code from the bluescreen to trace the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
                            You need to capture the STOP code from the bluescreen to trace the problem.
                            And to do this, right-click 'My Computer,' choose 'Advanced' and then under 'Startup and Recovery,' choose 'Settings.'

Uncheck 'Automatically Restart'

This will prevent the system from rebooting immediately after a bluescreen, to make a note of the nature of the STOP condition.

Comment

Working...
                            X