Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Codec to capture SVHS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Codec to capture SVHS

    I need to capture many VHS, SVHS, Hi 8, and few DVCAM tapes to be edited sometime in the future. I am not sure if they will be edited in Edius or Premier (more likley in Edius) What will be the best codec to capture. Thankz

  • #2
    Canopus HQ is the CODEC of choice here for all formats. Even while grappling with Adobe products.
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

    An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

    Comment


    • #3
      DVCAM of course will go to Canopus DV or MSDV via FireWire :)

      Comment


      • #4
        Since "VHS, SVHS, Hi 8, and few DVCAM tapes" are all in Standard Definition, the DV codec (Canopus DV or MSDV) will be more than good enough. No need for Canopus HQ - overkill.
        TingSern
        --------------------------------------
        Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tingsern View Post
          Since "VHS, SVHS, Hi 8, and few DVCAM tapes" are all in Standard Definition, the DV codec (Canopus DV or MSDV) will be more than good enough. No need for Canopus HQ - overkill.
          The quality of the video is very good. So is it better to capture direct or to use avdc300?

          Comment


          • #6
            By capturing "direct" - I take it to mean to use NX firewire and/or SVIDEO port ... if that is correct, then YES - it is the best method.
            TingSern
            --------------------------------------
            Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually the HQ codec will have a similar datarate as the DV codec, plus it has 4:2:2 color space and is VBR. I've done tests where SVHS footage looks better with HQ codec than DV.

              Comment


              • #8
                Okay - I agree ... provided he has a SVHS player going out by SVIDEO minimum. Component will be best - but NX does not have component input - you might need ADVC300 for that.
                TingSern
                --------------------------------------
                Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                  Actually the HQ codec will have a similar datarate as the DV codec, plus it has 4:2:2 color space and is VBR. I've done tests where SVHS footage looks better with HQ codec than DV.
                  Dave, how much better? If there is no big difference between MSDV and Canopus HQ then I will prefer MSDV so I will have the option of editing in Premiere if the client choose so. I can capture through Storm card or OHCI.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Storm card? What kind of SVHS player you have? You have one that can output firewire?

                    DV codec is 4:2:0 ... As opposed to HQ at 4:2:2.
                    TingSern
                    --------------------------------------
                    Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tingsern View Post
                      Storm card? What kind of SVHS player you have? You have one that can output firewire?

                      DV codec is 4:2:0 ... As opposed to HQ at 4:2:2.
                      No I don't. I will output the SVHS from the player to the SVHS input in my Storm card.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by yuda View Post
                        Dave, how much better? If there is no big difference between MSDV and Canopus HQ then I will prefer MSDV so I will have the option of editing in Premiere if the client choose so. I can capture through Storm card or OHCI.
                        It's better, but as Tingsern mentioned minimum is SVIDEO if you want quality. NX supports HQ capture via SVIDEO, but not the DVStorm.

                        Originally posted by tingsern View Post
                        Storm card? What kind of SVHS player you have? You have one that can output firewire?

                        DV codec is 4:2:0 ... As opposed to HQ at 4:2:2.
                        PAL land is 4:2:0, NTSC DV is 4:1:1 :)
                        They're very similar though.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So what is my card? I know it has an SVHS input. I use it many times.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by yuda View Post
                            So what is my card? I know it has an SVHS input. I use it many times.
                            Reread my post above, DVStorm is only a DV board (hence the name)...so through the SVideo port you will only be able to capture to DV codec.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Are you sure Storm has a SVHS input? Never heard of that before. Perhaps you have mistaken - SVHS stands for Super VHS - that the tape format ... or the player that plays SVHS tapes. It outputs to SVIDEO ... and STORM has the SVIDEO input and ouput ports.

                              So - if you use a DVStorm card, you cannot use HQ ... but, you need to use DV codec. Only on the NX card - you can capture DV as HQ.
                              TingSern
                              --------------------------------------
                              Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X