X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BillBarrett
    replied
    eSATA

If I use the HP 2310 with two drives in RAID 0, can the other ports be used for eSATA drives?

Leave a comment:

• kikillo
    replied
    For Gdame

Hello Gdame
    I ask to my computers store to make a price for the workstation that you tells me.Now they do not work with asus.And for the raid contollers they work with Areca.So here the configuration that they propose.
    INTEL X38 SATA/DDR3/FSB1333/3PCIe --- High Speed MB
    INTEL Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHz Processor
    APACER DDR3 2048MB (2 x 1024MB PC10666/1333)
    ATI Sapphire HD 2600 PRO 512GB DDR3 (RTX.2 Approved)
    HDD 250GB 7200RPM S-ATA300 8MB CACHE 11MS
    4 X 500 GB 7200 RPM S-ATA300 16MB (RAID 0)
    Areca ARC1110 RAID Controller - SATA

So,I trust you if you tells me that this configuration it is the same and equal of fast and stabel witch the one that you propose to me,of the other way I must look for another store.But I wait for your answer and your advice.
    I prefer not to change of salesman because I have bought everything by them.Can you tell me if this configuration is more or less expensive of the first you advice to me

Regards
    Francisco

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by gdame View Post
    Jerry,

That will be one exotic machine. I have been keeping my eye on the new SuperMicro boards as those are my favorite when it comes to real industrial machines.

My customers are still trying to figure out how to afford new cameras, solid state media, new led lighting, batteries, Blu-ray duplicator/printers, etc.

Soon one of them will ask for a no holes barred system and I will get to build one of those. Let me know how you make out. Keep me posted.
    Depending on my tax refund.....well, you know the rest.

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    George,
    You will like the one I am researching to build now.
    Let's just say it has an 8 port SAS UIO controller w/battery backup, Seaburg chipset, and dual quad 3.2's, 2 16x PciE 2.0, 2 PCI-x, 2 pci, 1 UIO slot.
    Sounds tempting doesn't it.
    Jerry
    Jerry,

That will be one exotic machine. I have been keeping my eye on the new SuperMicro boards as those are my favorite when it comes to real industrial machines.

My customers are still trying to figure out how to afford new cameras, solid state media, new led lighting, batteries, Blu-ray duplicator/printers, etc.

Soon one of them will ask for a no holes barred system and I will get to build one of those. Let me know how you make out. Keep me posted.

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by kikillo View Post
    Ok Gdame thank you very very much for the help I going to order this workstation.

Bye
    You are welcome!

Let us know how you like it when you get it built.

Leave a comment:

• kikillo
    replied
    Thanks Gdame

Ok Gdame thank you very very much for the help I going to order this workstation.

Bye

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by shueardm View Post
    I see, the old UIO trick. Still it comes in as more expensive than (say) my older X7DA3 which had onboard SAS.

It will be great to hear how you go with it, thanks for being our bunny. :)
    I'll hop to it!

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    I see, the old UIO trick. Still it comes in as more expensive than (say) my older X7DA3 which had onboard SAS.

It will be great to hear how you go with it, thanks for being our bunny. :)

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by shueardm View Post
    Jerry,

What board is that? The Supermicro I know does not have a SAS controller or did you mean an add on card with battery backup?
    http://supermicro.com/products/mothe...00/X7DWA-N.cfm

Mark,
    It is the Supermicro UIO card. It bypasses the normal card resource useage.
    The UIO card works directly off of the PCIE chipset as if the connectors were part of the board. The card is in the $372-$400 range. That with the supermicro case makes a tidy little unit.

http://supermicro.com/products/nfo/UIO.cfm

You can get it with different controllers as well.
    The SAS appeals to me due to those new 15,000rpm SAS drives and its ability to use SATA drives as well.

The mobo is in the $520 range, the case in the $600, the processors $1300 range each. A pricey, yet powerful solution.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Jerry,

What board is that? The Supermicro I know does not have a SAS controller or did you mean an add on card with battery backup?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    George,
    You will like the one I am researching to build now.
    Let's just say it has an 8 port SAS UIO controller w/battery backup, Seaburg chipset, and dual quad 3.2's, 2 16x PciE 2.0, 2 PCI-x, 2 pci, 1 UIO slot.
    Sounds tempting doesn't it.
    Jerry

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Thank you for the configuration.twoo more questions.
    Is't enhough 2 GB ram(OCZ DDR3)?
    Than for the OS I take 1 HD 160 GB SATA-II/300 from ??
    Western digital or Seagate or witch you thinks is goed.
    And for the data 4 HD the same as for the os(also sataII/300) only bigger(500 GB each)in raid O ? is that OK.

Thank you again and sorry for my English (I am spanish)
    kikillo, Yes 2GB of OCZ 1333 Platinum DDR3 RAM will be perfect with Windows XP Pro 32 bit. The 160GB SATA-II OS system drive will also be just fine, though 250GB is only a few dollars more and may be more readily available. The four 500's for RAID 0 will be great too.

I would use Seagate Enterprise Series drives.

ST3250310NS = 250GB

ST3500320NS = 500GB

Leave a comment:

• kikillo
    replied
    Re-configuration

Thank you for the configuration.twoo more questions.
    Is't enhough 2 GB ram(OCZ DDR3)?
    Than for the OS I take 1 HD 160 GB SATA-II/300 from ??
    Western digital or Seagate or witch you thinks is goed.
    And for the data 4 HD the same as for the os(also sataII/300) only bigger(500 GB each)in raid O ? is that OK.

Thank you again and sorry for my English (I am spanish)

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Hello gdame,
    thank you for the reply.So Can you help me with the configuration of my new workstation The configuration that you see is propose to me by the store where I buid my first workstation.I ask for a powerful workstation and she propose this to me.So can you configuur for me please a god powerfull and not to expensive workstation (I have more of less 3000 € to spend)I need only
    mobo , cpu ,memory,video card ,and HDD .I prefer to give my money on the speed and stability than on the storage I mean that for me for data i have enoff with 4 x 500 GB or 4 x 320 Gb in raid O.What I want is to work fast whith High definition.
    Thank you
    Build it with this configuration and you will be very happy.

I coached Imagine Video and she is thrilled.

Asus P5K64 WS (GV certified, 1333 fsb & DDR3)
    Intel QX9650 (3GHz Quad Core w/ 1333 fsb)
    OCZ DDR3 Platinum (1333MHz Rock Solid & Fast!)
    High Point 2310 Raid Controller (PCIe x4, 4 SATA-II/300 Ports, over 200MB/sec with only 2 drives!)
    Quadro FX 1500 or 1700 Graphics Card (GV certified, Rock Solid, Single Slot with unobstructed cooling)
    Use a single 7200 rpm SATA-II/300 Hard Disk for OS rather than the 10,000 rpm Raptor. (The Raptor is not SATA-II/300)

This recipe is certified by me, my customers and those that have followed my threads.

Leave a comment:

• kikillo
    replied
    Help for workstation

Hello gdame,
    thank you for the reply.So Can you help me with the configuration of my new workstation The configuration that you see is propose to me by the store where I buid my first workstation.I ask for a powerful workstation and she propose this to me.So can you configuur for me please a god powerfull and not to expensive workstation (I have more of less 3000 € to spend)I need only
    mobo , cpu ,memory,video card ,and HDD .I prefer to give my money on the speed and stability than on the storage I mean that for me for data i have enoff with 4 x 500 GB or 4 x 320 Gb in raid O.What I want is to work fast whith High definition.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X