Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could not really here the stutter amongst the noise

was that Elvis song 48k or 44.1k

if 48k, how was it converted from 44.1 to 48?

try another test, start a new project and add bars with tone and make it an hour long, now play the timeline, do you hear any breaks in the tone?
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
      I could not really here the stutter amongst the noise

was that Elvis song 48k or 44.1k

if 48k, how was it converted from 44.1 to 48?

try another test, start a new project and add bars with tone and make it an hour long, now play the timeline, do you hear any breaks in the tone?
      It started to drag and stutter at about 13 seconds. If you were tapping your foot and keeping a beat with it you would see it slow way down. The song was originally a WMA file that I saved as a 48/16 wav file. It was playing as a WAV file.

I added a color bars and stretched it out about 4-5 minutes and played it back for a few minutes. I did hear a blip in it a few times. One of them lasted about as long at the stutter did. I had the VU meters on my display and they didn't bounce when it had the small blips. They stayed at a steady -20.
      Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

Comment

can you try the same test again with a new project on the C drive

make sure VU meter is closed
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

can you try the same test again with a new project on the C drive

make sure VU meter is closed
          If forgot to mention...that first test with the color bars was on a project off the C drive. I had just created one in the default directory in the project settings. I created another one on my video drive and the same thing...."blips" I counted them....there were 5 little blips in a row over about 1.5-2 seconds. It occured about 30 seconds into the project.
          Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Comment

try this file
            http://www.videoproductions.com.au/temp/elvis.wav

also, what happens if you play audio files in windows media player, do they stutter?
            Anton Strauss

Comment

try this file
              http://www.videoproductions.com.au/temp/elvis.wav

also, what happens if you play audio files in windows media player, do they stutter?
              Tried it twice and it slowed down twice. The first time within 15 seconds. THe second time about 25 seconds in. It never does this at the same place twice so I know it is not a corrupted file.

BTW...I don't know if I mentioned it or not this computer has no virus software running. My task manager shows only 28 processes running. I have checked the names of all the processes online and they are pretty much all required by Windows. I can't run it much leaner than it is. Everything is a fresh install less than 2 weeks old.

Comment

Alas it's time for my night to end here in the States. I appreciate your help so far. Hopefully I will get this thing figured out. If you have any more things to try just list them out and I will tackle them all tomorrow afternoon.

I have a sneaky feeling there is a Motherboard issue somewhere. If I had to guess...based on my limited knowledge, it is something in the Intel vPro technology onboard or one of those built in features that I will never use.

I have built 5 or 6 editing computers for Edius and the only problem I ever had was a Chipset cooling fan die on me a few weeks after install and a video card DOA. This has me baffled and frustrated. I worked some in between trials you had me doing tonight and while I was able to work it got to be a pain when you hit the space bar and the first clip plays a few seconds at half speed. Then the next time you play the timeline it plays ok for a few clips and then one slows down. It was pretty frustrating but I did get some work done.

Comment

yes, I am suspecting motherboard or onboard audio incompatibility issues?

maybe try a different audio card such as USB external type?

I am not sure if anyone is successfully using this mobo?

are there any errors/warnings in event viewer, system or apps?
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

yes, I am suspecting motherboard or onboard audio incompatibility issues?

maybe try a different audio card such as USB external type?

I am not sure if anyone is successfully using this mobo?

are there any errors/warnings in event viewer, system or apps?
                    I didn't see anything unusual in the event viewer. Just usual stuff.

If I were to get a small USB audio card will it override my onboard audio? Will I need to turn off the onboard audio to make it work? Just curious if plugging it in will bypass the onboard audio. If the problem is in the MB audio and it doesn't get disabled then it seesm the problem would still exist. I will try disabling some of the MB stuff today related to the office features and see what happens.

The original MB I wanted to get was sold out everywhere with no signs of restocking. I got this one because it was one of the only ones I could find with 6 eSATA ports, 4 RAM slots and a rear FW port....all in a MicroATX form factor.

Comment

after you plug in the external audio card and drivers are installed, go to control panel and set it as the default playback and recording audio device and tick the box in bottom left corner
                      http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...ius-audio.html
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

after you plug in the external audio card and drivers are installed, go to control panel and set it as the default playback and recording audio device and tick the box in bottom left corner
                        http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...ius-audio.html

Well I played around in the bios today and turned off everything related to the vPro technology on the MB. That didn't fix anything.

I went and got an inexpensive Sound Blaster Audigy card and installed it with all drivers. I disabled onboard audio in the bios as well. I loaded everything and it is still happening. It does seem to get through a little better and this time when it started dragging it just stopped playback with a frame drop message. I was watching the buffer when this happened and it went from 169 (the max) to 1 immediately and stopped.

It does seemt to play better and not drag as bad when it does happen but it still is occuring. I tried the color bars with the tone and still get occasional static in it. I was just playing the color bars back and it started to "blip" and then stopped with a frame drop. Does this seal the deal as a bad MB or possible bad RAM?

I am thinking I will probably RMA the motherboard on Monday and order a new one.

Anyone got any great recommendations for a motherboard for a small form factor case.....a MATX size. This PC was built to be more portable since I travel frequently and want more than a laptop. It is in a LanBox case. I am hoping for at least 4 SATA connectors and 4 RAM slots.

I think I will keep the sound card though since it is always a good addition.

Comment

I just tryed to play music back in Windows Media Player and it did the same thing. Same blips and small slowdown. I don't think this is an edius isolated problem. It is in my system somewhere.

At least I can still work on it while a new motherboard is being shipped and send it back when the new one arrives. Maybe I will just make it my render machine till then.

Comment

you mentioned one of your Ram sticks was in A slot and the other in B slot?

remove the one in B slot and only leave one in A1 slot and try again

if still no good, mobo not suitable, you may shoot it, I make the funeral arrangements
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

you mentioned one of your Ram sticks was in A slot and the other in B slot?

remove the one in B slot and only leave one in A1 slot and try again

if still no good, mobo not suitable, you may shoot it, I make the funeral arrangements
                              I had one in A1 and one in B1. You had me put them in A1 and A2. That is how we are setup right now. I will removed the one from A2 so I have only one GB of RAM loaded in slot A1. I remembered to turn my buffers down to 128mb before trying to test the project again. Did the same thing and quit when it started dragging. Buffer went from 42 to 0 instantly. This was a timeline with only a wav file playing....all video tracks were turned off.

For fun I swapped the RAM sticks to make sure the first one wasn't the problem....same thing happened. Looks like we have a bad MB. Hopefully I can get some kind of replacement from the place where I bought it. I don't really want to swap for the same MB.

If you are preparing the funeral for this thing then I will shoot the memorial tribute...I've won awards for those.

Thanks again for all your help. I will post about motherboard recommendations to see what my options are.

Comment

I know we have pretty much resolved the MB is bad but just to add to the problems I just tried playing back a video clip from my website encoded at 512kb and it was stuttering and skipping bad. Something goofy is happening when WMP can't handle a 512kb stream. :-)

Got some phone calls to make tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X