X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number88
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is generally the sign of a driver or hardware conflict. It could be some kind of BIOS settings conflict, and it can also be the sign of bad/failing hardware.

On the other hand, it might be something simple like a card not "sitting nicely" in its slot.

The last time I had IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL it was because the fan on my graphics card had failed.

Hopefully the store will be able to sort it out for you.

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll update the results.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is generally the sign of a driver or hardware conflict. It could be some kind of BIOS settings conflict, and it can also be the sign of bad/failing hardware.

On the other hand, it might be something simple like a card not "sitting nicely" in its slot.

The last time I had IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL it was because the fan on my graphics card had failed.

Hopefully the store will be able to sort it out for you.

Leave a comment:

• number88
    replied
    Originally posted by gdame View Post
    Number88, click on my screen name and select find all posts. Weed through those and you will find all the info to build a system that rocks. Cathryn from the UK did and she is one happy editor now.
    Ok, I looked thru some of your posts, but will read more... thanks very much!

Leave a comment:

• number88
    replied
    Originally posted by shueardm View Post
    Hi,

1) Remove the Sound card and see if that changes anything. if not
    2) Remove 3 of your (video) hard drives and see if it still gives that error when using a single hard drive. Do you have a RAID card installed?

Thanks for the tips! I was going to remove the onboard sound thru the bios but didn't want to do anything that might cause the store to say I voided the warranty. When I return the computer I'll tell the store your suggestions. I don't have any raid, just 4 hard drives.

Leave a comment:

• kukun
    replied
    got It.
    thnk you

Leave a comment:

• THoff
    replied
    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> General

or

Start -> Run -> msinfo32

Leave a comment:

• kukun
    replied
    Hi,
    I have been using my computer for along time, and don't know mine is XP 64 or 32bit.
    where can I check to know the 64 or 32bit?
    thnks

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by number88 View Post
    Ok, my new computer is a huge source of frustration as it often crashes, giving me the "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" etc message, then it restarts...this is with no programs added, at various random times. I did a bit of searching and some people have found the ASUS P5N-T-DX motherboard to be very unstable so looking around here I see George (gdame) recomends the asus P5K64 WS so I'm going to ask the computer store to send mine back and get that one instead.

...maybe I should also ask them if they could buy back the memory and video card for half price or whatever they offer and get the stuff George recomends...2 gigs of 1333 OCZ memory and Quadro FX1500. I would lose $$$ but I want to be happy with the end result.

then I got to thinking, my hobby is collecting video clips and having them play back at random, but I currently only collect clips from dvds because the quality is better than tv...however, a few days ago I got a hd tv and am starting to notice some pictures are looking very nice. Can I get a computer that can capture that 1080i HDTV signal by way of the hdmi cable coming out of my shaw HD pvr box? If it's possible, I guess it would involve adding some kind of capture card with hdmi input, plus upgrading my edius pro 3? I guess I'm being lazy asking this without looking around more first, but it's about 2:30 am and I've had a rough weekend working with this new computer which I'm going to take back tomorrow, and I'd like to have a better idea what I'd like before I take it back. Anyway, I'll look around a bit some more tomorrow. Thanks
    Number88, click on my screen name and select find all posts. Weed through those and you will find all the info to build a system that rocks. Cathryn from the UK did and she is one happy editor now.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Hi,

1) Remove the Sound card and see if that changes anything. if not
    2) Remove 3 of your (video) hard drives and see if it still gives that error when using a single hard drive. Do you have a RAID card installed?

Leave a comment:

• number88
    replied
    Ok, my new computer is a huge source of frustration as it often crashes, giving me the "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" etc message, then it restarts...this is with no programs added, at various random times. I did a bit of searching and some people have found the ASUS P5N-T-DX motherboard to be very unstable so looking around here I see George (gdame) recomends the asus P5K64 WS so I'm going to ask the computer store to send mine back and get that one instead.

...maybe I should also ask them if they could buy back the memory and video card for half price or whatever they offer and get the stuff George recomends...2 gigs of 1333 OCZ memory and Quadro FX1500. I would lose $$$ but I want to be happy with the end result.

then I got to thinking, my hobby is collecting video clips and having them play back at random, but I currently only collect clips from dvds because the quality is better than tv...however, a few days ago I got a hd tv and am starting to notice some pictures are looking very nice. Can I get a computer that can capture that 1080i HDTV signal by way of the hdmi cable coming out of my shaw HD pvr box? If it's possible, I guess it would involve adding some kind of capture card with hdmi input, plus upgrading my edius pro 3? I guess I'm being lazy asking this without looking around more first, but it's about 2:30 am and I've had a rough weekend working with this new computer which I'm going to take back tomorrow, and I'd like to have a better idea what I'd like before I take it back. Anyway, I'll look around a bit some more tomorrow. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• number88
    replied
    Ok, after much reading thru the forum I decided to try the 8800gtx since it's already in my computer. Then if I have issues I can just get a quadro card. Since I only use edius pro and procoder for editing, without any other programs, I think the chances are good with the 8800gtx. First I'll have to take the computer back to get the xp 64 bit version removed and regular xp professional installed. While I'm there I'll ask if they can take out the 4 gig of ram and instead install 2 gig of corsair ram, to help ensure stability. Thanks for all the help and advice!

ASUS P5N-T-DX motherboard
    QX9650 3.0GHz 12MB 1333FSB 775
    A-Data 4GB DDR2 800 Dual Kit (2 x 2 GB)
    4 x western digital 1 TB S-ATA (WD10EACS)
    LITEON 20x20 DVDRW SATA LH-20A1S12
    ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP/758M video card
    Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality sound card
    Enermax 1000W EGA1000EWL power supply
    Antec 900 Gamer case

Leave a comment:

• number88
    replied
    Originally posted by rando View Post
    If you could do me a favor and let me know how you make out on this? I am thinking about doing this myself I relised I only have about 5 apps I use in my editi system and if I can get them to run on Win 64 id like the memory boost too.
    Hi Rando. I wish I could help but I already decided to go with regular xp because I don't like spending time troubleshooting glitches. I'll just save the xp 64 bit version to put on another computer which won't have edius installed.

Leave a comment:

• rando
    replied
    If you could do me a favor and let me know how you make out on this? I am thinking about doing this myself I relised I only have about 5 apps I use in my editi system and if I can get them to run on Win 64 id like the memory boost too.

Leave a comment:

• number88
    replied
    Ok thanks for the tip. I assume it's best to make separate partitions for each operating system, however I still might need to install different drivers for such things as the sound card, printer, video card, etc. and i like to keep things very simple. The most difficult thing my computer does is edit videos using edius and I have to use regular xp with edius. Therefore I can't see any reason I'd be using 64 bit xp for anything so I'll just go with regular xp. If/when edius can work with 64 bit xp I guess I could install it at that time, to access more memory, and then I'd get rid of the regular xp. Thanks for all the help. I'm surprised to get so much help and so quick!
    Now I'm going to do a bit more searching on what video card to use. I bought the nvidia 8800gtx card and from reading thru the posts here I see some people seem to do ok with it...however I can see from the advice and other posts that the quadro line is better and I might have problems with the 8800gtx. The motherboard is asus P5N-T and I see the receipt says I have ddr2 ram. This page http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html shows the Quadro FX 1700 uses DDR2 ram, with most of the rest using GDDR3. If the motherboard uses ddr2 ram should I get a video card that uses the same? Basically all I do with edius is capture from the advc-500, chop up SD avi files with some transitions, replace some sound with wav files, and maybe add a few subtitles. So not sure which video card to use. I'll keep searching thru the posts to help me decide.

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    I'd install x86 (32-bit) Windows XP on the system in parallel with the 64-bit version. That way when everything you use is 64-bit happy, you can move over to the x64 OS. Of course you'll still have to reinstall the apps and such.

AFAIK the x64 install CD doesn't let you install x86, so you'll need the 32-bit Windows XP disc to install 32-bit Windows (and the license key, of course).

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    I'd install x86 (32-bit) Windows XP on the system in parallel with the 64-bit version. That way when everything you use is 64-bit happy, you can move over to the x64 OS. Of course you'll still have to reinstall the apps and such.

AFAIK the x64 install CD doesn't let you install x86, so you'll need the 32-bit Windows XP disc to install 32-bit Windows (and the license key, of course).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X