Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would a 1600XT render in real time and a 2600XT NOT?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why would a 1600XT render in real time and a 2600XT NOT?

    This is perplexing

    I have two machines a laptop Dualcore 2.3ghz (1600XT) that runs rings around a Desktop 8 Core 2.8ghz (2600XT) that cannot chroma key in realtime or basically play any effect in real time.



    I'm using the same clips of video same effects.

    This is a DV/SD Timeline nothing crazy


    Please help ...anything anyone can think of will be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Last edited by majormauser; 02-15-2008, 11:56 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

  • #2
    Every filter/transition except Xplode for Edius and Xplode Pro 4.5 in EDIUS is dependent on the CPU...so Chromakey is dependent on the CPU. They don't use the GPU whatsoever.

    What do you get when you play back the clip with a chromakey keyer on it? Does it drop frames or what?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
      Every filter/transition except Xplode for Edius and Xplode Pro 4.5 in EDIUS is dependent on the CPU...so Chromakey is dependent on the CPU. They don't use the GPU whatsoever.

      What do you get when you play back the clip with a chromakey keyer on it? Does it drop frames or what?
      It goes to red render me above the timeline. its chugging. While the Laptop blazes through it.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

      Comment


      • #4
        Something's wrong with your desktop...there's no way the laptop is faster than your desktop :)

        From where are you grabbing the files from? What kind of drives? How are they connected? Are you using any Canopus hardware devices such as an NX or SP? Or just OHCI in software mode? Try changing your overlay settings in EDIUS, if it is DirectDraw try Direct3D (This is where Edius will use your graphics card) or if its D3D already, change it to DirectDraw.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
          Something's wrong with your desktop...there's no way the laptop is faster than your desktop :)

          From where are you grabbing the files from? What kind of drives? How are they connected? Are you using any Canopus hardware devices such as an NX or SP? Or just OHCI in software mode? Try changing your overlay settings in EDIUS, if it is DirectDraw try Direct3D (This is where Edius will use your graphics card) or if its D3D already, change it to DirectDraw.
          Tried the Direct Draw/Software overlay.... same thing.

          I'm copying the files to my main HD from a 7200rpm firewire drive to see if they will work any better.... the project is on my main Laptop drive....

          Oh and I have a Mac Pro.... I think thats going to end up being the Issue. Do you know anyone else whos running Edius on a Mac Pro?

          EDIT: Oh I just saw your post you are running a mac pro hahah... Also I am runing the Demo now. Edius Pro is going to be shipped to me next week! :)

          Thanks for all your help.
          Last edited by majormauser; 02-16-2008, 12:57 AM.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

          Comment


          • #6
            Heh, yeah I am running a Mac Pro. It works great with the NX.

            Are you trying to grab the file over the network by any chance from your laptop? Use an external drive or connect your Laptop via an ethernet cable so you can grab the file (if Gigabit, it is better). I am guessing you're trying to grab the file from the wireless connection? It won't work right and not recommended.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
              Heh, yeah I am running a Mac Pro. It works great with the NX.

              Are you trying to grab the file over the network by any chance from your laptop? Use an external drive or connect your Laptop via an ethernet cable so you can grab the file (if Gigabit, it is better). I am guessing you're trying to grab the file from the wireless connection? It won't work right and not recommended.
              No I'm a semi pro...(in my own mind) I would not do that. I have a firewire drive that I am using.

              WOW I just Consolidated everything from the external FW Drive to the Main Mac Pro Drive (Boot). and

              IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              This is the Best.... I was ready to go to Best Buy an do some crazy stuff

              Thanks for all your Help Dave. Now I have to smash my slow *** FW hard drive. I'm still perplexed that I cant use a FW 400 drive to edit with.
              Last edited by majormauser; 02-16-2008, 01:25 AM.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

              Comment


              • #8
                No don't install another graphics card, not worth it.

                It shouldn't be the graphics card.

                I have the ATI X1900 (Last generation Mac Pro) and I have no issues with Edius.

                A DV file only uses 25mbps, you can play clips from your OS drive too and EDIUS shouldn't drop a single frame.

                Did you correctly let the Bootcamp drivers install when you popped in the Leopard disc? Go into the device manager to see if there are any missing devices. Also hopefully you're using XP SP2...and not Vista.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                  No don't install another graphics card, not worth it.

                  It shouldn't be the graphics card.

                  I have the ATI X1900 (Last generation Mac Pro) and I have no issues with Edius.

                  A DV file only uses 25mbps, you can play clips from your OS drive too and EDIUS shouldn't drop a single frame.

                  Did you correctly let the Bootcamp drivers install when you popped in the Leopard disc? Go into the device manager to see if there are any missing devices. Also hopefully you're using XP SP2...and not Vista.
                  Dave read my last post I updated it. IT WORKS!!!
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by majormauser View Post
                    Dave read my last post I updated it. IT WORKS!!!
                    Just saw it :)

                    Great!

                    By the way FW400 and USB2.0 can easily handle DV25. More than 2-3 layers easily.

                    When you get Edius, install it, then use WinClone to backup your Windows partition so you can restore it anytime you want (Similar to Ghost, but free)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                      Just saw it :)

                      Great!

                      By the way FW400 and USB2.0 can easily handle DV25. More than 2-3 layers easily.

                      When you get Edius, install it, then use WinClone to backup your Windows partition so you can restore it anytime you want (Similar to Ghost, but free)
                      Yes Thanks I will do that.... I use a FW800 drive and Timemachine on the Mac side as well as SuperDuper which is like WinClone I guess.

                      I am so friggin Happy now. Thanks again.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Some FW chipsets don't work so well for video. I can't recall which ones don't work right now ... But I remembered my age old Adaptec FW400+USB2 was terrible - didn't understand why, until one guru from US pointed out the chipset problem.

                        Unlike USB devices, FW devices don't have "device drivers". So - if the chipset mismatches with another FW device, you end up having the problem you are seeing.

                        Oxford FW chipsets are the standard these days - so if every FW device is Oxford based on your chain, no problem. If one device is not using the standard FW chipset, you might have problems.
                        TingSern
                        --------------------------------------
                        Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          LOTS of info and reports from various users across various platforms (FireWire bridge problems are not OS-specific)

                          http://www.bustrace.com/delayedwrite/

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X