is there any Difference between dv quality ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bashvideo
    • May 2007

is there any Difference between dv quality ?

hi , this is mohammed bash from kuwait .

please ,

is there any Difference between dv quality ? or the dv is standard for all company ?

for example , if i use fire wire with canopus , pinnacle , avid , matrox , should i have the same quality ?

thanks for all .
  • pjsssss
    • May 2007

There used to be a difference, but I think now most are the same or very little difference. Canopus/GV has always been one of the very best.

Comment

• STORMDAVE
      • May 2007

Pat is right...matter of fact, Avid used to use the Canopus DV codec, then they used their own.

Comment

• bashvideo
        • May 2007

i have a friend told me that he try capture by fire wire one time with avid express and second time with edius on the same system .

he told the picture for avid express much better than edius .

is that true ???

i think the dv is standard for all companies . but i want to be sure about this information .

thanks for all .

Comment

• STORMDAVE
          • May 2007

No that is not true. First generation DV files are replicas from your DV tape. Quality loss comes into play when you re-render the same DV file with a DV codec, and Canopus DV was always the best one out of the bunch.

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
            Demystifier/Analogizer
            • Apr 2007

To add to STORMDAVE's comment...

There are two places quality can be lost when working with DV and rendering DV:
            1. Flawed DV decoding can introduce artifacts
            2. Poor DV encoding can also introduce artifacts

Comment

• Julian
              • May 2007

What is the difference between DV AVI and DV Stream in Edius?

Thanks

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                • May 2007

DV AVI just wraps DV data under the AVI extension, AND you can either use the Canopus DV codec or check the "Use Microsoft DV codec" and it will use the standard MSDV codec.

DV Stream just creates a .dv file without any wrappers. Use the former.

What we need to know is what are you going to do with your DV files? If you're using Edius, just capture as you always did. If you're going between Premiere Pro and Edius etc, use MSDV.

Comment

• vienna1944er
                  • May 2007

First generation DV files are replicas from your DV tape.
                  Quality loss comes into play when you re-render the same DV file with a DV codec, and Canopus DV was always the best one out of the bunch.
                  what I guessing to know:
                  a) PAL DV on the tape s always 4:2:0 \ 25Mbit/sec
                  b) Canopus DV codec is 4:2:2
                  c) DV-Standard enforces by "print to tape" 4:2:0 [from whatever timeline- codec is activated ( i.e. 4:2:2)]

Question's about what I [unfortunately] not know exactly:
                  PAL-DV tape >> captured with Edius (Output format:DV50i; Rendering Format: DV AVI)
                  created the media-file in the ".avi wrapper" on the disk..... and this file have the specification
                  1) the same as DV tape-source = 4:2:0 ??
                  2) Canopus-DV avi = 4:2:2 ??

Question about Export >> Print to File >> DV AVI (ExporterPlugIn of DV compressed AVI file)
                  3) with aktivated button "Use MSDV codec" >> up as 4:2:0 ??
                  4) without activated button "Use MSDV codec" >> end up as CanopusDV with 4:2:2 ??

Question about Export per PCE >> Video Editing Format >>
                  5) with setting: CanopusDV AVI >> end up as 4:2:2 ??
                  6) with setting: MS-DV Avi >> end up as 4:2:0 ??

friendly asking greetings from europe\austria\vienna ....old Hans
                  Edius 5,51 / Edius 6.08 / Edius 6.54(b) / Neo 3.0 / Neo 3.5

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
                    Demystifier/Analogizer
                    • Apr 2007

The Canopus DV codec is 4:1:1 for NTSC, and 4:2:0 for PAL. Otherwise it wouldn't be DV-spec-legal.

EDIUS's internal processing is 4:2:2 or better (depends on what it's doing).

Comment

• vienna1944er
                      • May 2007

Thanks for clarify about the "4:2:0 detail"..........

I understood you correct with >> the difference between print to file with
                      a) aktivated button "Use MSDV codec" or b) without activated button "Use MSDV codec"
                      is only the better written algorithms from "CanopusDV codec" or is there still other things aviable ??

i.e. 0-250 compare 16-235 ...or is this likewise ditto only >EDIUS's internal <

old Hans
                      Edius 5,51 / Edius 6.08 / Edius 6.54(b) / Neo 3.0 / Neo 3.5

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
                        Demystifier/Analogizer
                        • Apr 2007

Unless things have changed, the checkbox only determines what Four-CC code is written to the AVI file. The Canopus DV codec is still used to produce the DV stream either way.

If the "Use MSDV" checkbox is not checked, then the Canopus DV codec produces a DV stream that is put into an AVI file marked as CDVC (Canopus DV codec Four-CC).

If the "Use MSDV" checkbox is checked, then the Canopus DV codec produces a DV stream that is put into an AVI file marked as DVSD (Microsoft DV codec Four-CC).

This is similar to how you can get the same LCD monitor electronics branded as a HP monitor, a BenQ monitor, etc.

Comment

• Aristotelis
                          • May 2007

This is very usefull info BH...Thanks...
                          I have one question though
                          Does the use of Canopus software DV codec has anything to do with DV editing hardware acceleration that boards like DVStorm, DVX provide?
                          Aristotelis Bafaloukos
                          Systems Engineer, Video Editor, 3D Artist
                          BEng (Hons), MSc, MBCS

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Comment

• GrassValley_MD
                            Mike Downey... The Jollymon
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Aristotelis
                            This is very usefull info BH...Thanks...
                            I have one question though
                            Does the use of Canopus software DV codec has anything to do with DV editing hardware acceleration that boards like DVStorm, DVX provide?

Actually those boards are not acceleration boards. They are really for I/O only.

The slight power boost from having the overlay and the real time output are so small now that they don't any noticeable difference.

You will not see a difference in the editing speed of the MS wrapped DV and the Canopus DV.

Mike

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
                              Mr Sparkle
                              • Apr 2007

EDIUS NX, EDIUS SP, EDIUS DVX (aka DVStorm XA Plus), and DVStorm(2(Pro)) all feature a hardware Canopus DV codec chip - its purpose is to generate a DV/DVCAM output stream on-the-fly from the timeline, and alleviate the CPU (which is how OHCI systems work).

It's a bit different than the software DV codec, which is used to read from/write to files to a disk.

Comment

Working...