• Timeline Cursor Hangs

Hi,

I have v. 454 installed on my system, everything seems to be performing
    smoothly except for the fact my timeline cursor hangs for 3-4 seconds
    when playing back any clips on my timeline. Anyone else experience
    this?

Thanx,

Saully G.

EDIUS may be prefilling the buffer. How big is your buffer?

Comment

Hi Brandon,

The buffer is on the default setting, can't recall what that is offhand.

Saully G.

Comment

There another option for "quick response" somewhere in there that determines how much of the buffer is prefilled when playback starts.

Quick test though - stick a color bar on an empty timeline - does it still hesitate?

Comment

Hi Brandon,

I tried your suggestion of placing a 7 second color bar clip on an empty
          timeline. Did not really see any noticeable hesitation during playback as
          the buffer was running down from 172 to 0.

Saully G.

Comment

A while ago I had similar problems with my Logitech USB mouse.
            As I never use anything more than the scroll wheel & the right click, which can both be adjusted in windows control panel, I did not install the latest mouse drivers as windows did recognize the mouse correctly.

After installing latest driver, a couple of years younger than the windows logitech drivers, all is good.

So if you are using a USB mouse try it ....

Edit: I had this issue in 4.52
            Last edited by SoundFreak; 01-31-2008, 05:55 AM. Reason: aditional info

Comment

Originally posted by SaullyG View Post
              I tried your suggestion of placing a 7 second color bar clip on an empty timeline. Did not really see any noticeable hesitation during playback as the buffer was running down from 172 to 0.
              Okay, sounds like one of the following:
              1. A bus burst/clog at the start of playback caused by something like SoundFreak mentioned
              2. A delay for processing the frames to fill the buffer (this is normal) - a "heavier" timeline will cause a longer delay
              If it's #2, then inserting a color bars section or even a section of black at the beginning of the timeline, should result in playback starting quicker (though you'll see bars/black at first).

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
                Okay, sounds like one of the following:

A delay for processing the frames to fill the buffer (this is normal) - a "heavier" timeline will cause a longer delay
                Even on my old Xeon with E-ide drives it starts playing straight away, even when the buffer is slowly filling.

Still, it looks like driver related, we all know that vga drivers are very inportant, now we just have to add mouse drivers to that list .........

Comment

Originally posted by SaullyG View Post
                  Hi,

I have v. 454 installed on my system, everything seems to be performing
                  smoothly except for the fact my timeline cursor hangs for 3-4 seconds
                  when playing back any clips on my timeline. Anyone else experience
                  this?

Thanx,

Saully G.
                  Sometimes I have this problem but not at the start of a clip. It will play for 10-15 seconds then hang for 3-4 and then continue. Is this what your refering to Saully? or is it hanging at the start of the clip?

Comment

I have exactly this behaviour on my Storm 2 system with 4.54, and I found switching to OHCI fixed it, so something with the Storm card/drivers is bugging my system. This has only shown up from 4.24 onwards I think.

The NX system with 4.54 is instant playback.

Paul

Very cold in London right now - I wanna go home.
                    Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Hi all,
                      The timeline cursor seems to hang up anywhere on the timeline when
                      resuming play, regardless if a clip has any filters or not.
                      I regards to the mouse drivers being an issue I don't see where
                      that has to do with this bug/problem. Then again I am not using
                      a USB type mouse. I should also note I am using a Sony Vaio
                      Laptop, ohci, Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz.

Saully G.

Comment

@ SaullyG is your OHCI device maybe using a VIA or NEC chip set ? not sure what Sony uses.
                        both those chip set's create problems for Pro Audio & Video and should be avoided.

@ PaulTV My sytem at work uses DV strom2 card & edius 4.54, making use of only the supplied drivers from the 4.54 update (nothing extra installed or changed) and runs flawless.

My hobby rig at home uses the NX card with edius 4.54, and in the 4.52 version it had issues with the usb mouse drivers.
                        I updated them (solved the problem) after a while updated to 4.54, so not sure if it was just 4.52 alone, or also in 4.54.
                        Last edited by SoundFreak; 02-02-2008, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X