X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shueardm
    replied
    Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
    Phil...here's a towel. Just kidding, I couldn't resist. I agree that upgrading just for upgrading sake is not very smart business wise. It all depends on what you need to accomplish whatever video niche you are in. For me, I need to be able to use several layers, both SD and HDV, Speed and RT are also a huge concern.

I bit the bullet and paid $$$ for my last system that is over a year old. However I think it has been well worth it because not only has it provided for the requirements that I mentioned, but it is also still in the "speed demon" category. I have never had a system that I felt was state of the art for this long.

To me, as a business, it all comes down to the bottom line. Is the money spent initially going to make me more money in the long run. If the answer is yes, it is worth the purchase. If it is no, then I will pass. My family prefers that I make money not waste it ;-)
    I agree and all I(we) have to do is change our 5100's for 5400's and it's cutting edge again- OK, I'm limited to 1333 FSB but that's still pretty sweet. Then buy a cheap 1U chassis and install the old CPU's into it to be used as a HD network encoding station.

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
    Hi George,

Since I don't need all that quad-video power, would the P5K-WS work as well as the P5K64WS? I'm not using NX - but AM still using the DVStorm2 card, and still quite well. I can get a PCI-X RocketRAID contoller to work with this board. I didn't see the P5K-WS on the approved Canopus list? If I'm not careful, I could buy a new Lexus for what this system has now escalated to! ! !

Thanks, Alan
    Alan, Here is a good solid recipe for ya.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe w/ latest bios!
    Intel Q6700 Quad Core, 1066 FSB
    Crucial 2GB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz Memory Kit (2x1GB)

I have built over 100 of these!

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
    Hi George,

Since I don't need all that quad-video power, would the P5K-WS work as well as the P5K64WS? I'm not using NX - but AM still using the DVStorm2 card, and still quite well. I can get a PCI-X RocketRAID contoller to work with this board. I didn't see the P5K-WS on the approved Canopus list? If I'm not careful, I could buy a new Lexus for what this system has now escalated to! ! !

Thanks, Alan
    Why are you building a new system for Storm? There are to many really good old systems around for s Storm for a lot less money than building a new one. Also, I am not a fan of building a computer now for a future purpose. You always lose money then.

Anyway, The P5K WS is not a board that I have tried, what is it on that board that you feel you need? What 64bit PCI-X card are you trying to use?

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Hi George,

Thanks, Alan

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by Imagine Video View Post
    Gdame

Just out of intrest are there any other quodra video cards that are suitable see list.........

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...Thumbnails=yes

This may be helpfull at a later date

Thanks
    Yes it is a single slot expansion card. I did have a ASUS EAX1950 Pro ATI Card in there earlier, with the cards in different slots. It worked as well by putting the ATI card in the bottom slot. But I did not like the dual monitor desktop controls. I have always used Quadro cards and they just work and work and work.

I like the mid level Quadro cards for Edius because unlike the old Xplode days, Edius does not use the GPU like it used to. So I would suggest FX1500 256MB or the newer FX1700 512MB cards. I am in the middle of building a 100 system contract and they are all using this card.

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    Gdame

Just out of intrest are there any other quodra video cards that are suitable see list.........

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...Thumbnails=yes

This may be helpfull at a later date

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    PCIe (blue) Quadro FX 1500 16x
    PCIe (black) High Point RocketRAID 2310 4x
    PCI (White) Blank
    PCIe (black) Edius NX PCIe (NX Express version)
    PCIe (black) Edius NX PCIe Expansion Board (NX Express version)
    PCI (white) Blank

OK I see why that works..........your video card is very slim and has no massive heat sinks or fans and so does not stop you from using the pcie slot next to it!

Even so that must be tight though.............Yes?

The problems arise out of physical fit on consumer boards!! I feel this is where most of the problems arise. Well that and the lack of being fully PCIe if borads would dump the legacy pci slot it would be a lot easier for us wouldbe NXe users.

Leave a comment:

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by Imagine Video View Post
    gdame

Have yo used this board and setup you advise? if so how does the NXe and the expansion/video out board fit in the two top pcie slots?

Been told it wont fit.

In too may be in the same boat with onboard raid contoller.....P5KE board ?
    It is on my bench right now looping an HDV (Canopus HQ) timeline right now.

Note, the P5K64 WS has four PCIe x 16 slots and two 32bit traditional PCI slots. Here is the order, top to bottom.

PCIe (blue) Quadro FX 1500 16x
    PCIe (black) High Point RocketRAID 2310 4x
    PCI (White) Blank
    PCIe (black) Edius NX PCIe (NX Express version)
    PCIe (black) Edius NX PCIe Expansion Board (NX Express version)
    PCI (white) Blank

I am only using the built in SATA for OS drive and Pioneer BDR-202 Blu-Ray burner. No mainboard RAID! My system disk is double redundant, cloned hard disk and restoration DVD's. Media Drive is 4 1TB drive setup as 2 drives stripped raid 0 and then mirrored. So that provides a 2TB volume (that's the largest volume that 32bit XP can see natively anyway) that averages 177MB/sec. with 2% CPU utilization +/- 2% :).

This MB is on the canopus approved list with no tweaking comments.

George Dame
    Grass Valley / Canopus System Integrator - 10 years

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    Phil...here's a towel. Just kidding, I couldn't resist. I agree that upgrading just for upgrading sake is not very smart business wise. It all depends on what you need to accomplish whatever video niche you are in. For me, I need to be able to use several layers, both SD and HDV, Speed and RT are also a huge concern.

I bit the bullet and paid $$$ for my last system that is over a year old. However I think it has been well worth it because not only has it provided for the requirements that I mentioned, but it is also still in the "speed demon" category. I have never had a system that I felt was state of the art for this long.

To me, as a business, it all comes down to the bottom line. Is the money spent initially going to make me more money in the long run. If the answer is yes, it is worth the purchase. If it is no, then I will pass. My family prefers that I make money not waste it ;-)

Leave a comment:

• 3chip
    replied
    Hardware requirements

I am using a three year old computer and it works just fine. I am not into HDV as many of you are and I have never been an admirer of "state of the art" hardware. I produce local documentary type video. But as an older generation member I just can't keep up any more with this fast paced tecnological surge that costs a lot and results in a staggering cost benefit ratio. Good video is good video. What it costs to produce it and how rewarding (emotionally as well as financially) is the key to satisfaction of the producer/videographer. Overpriced equipment and software demands over priced production fees. Will the market bear it? The technology has certainly outpaced the requirements and desires of the average videographer. Or am I all wet?

Leave a comment:

• Aristotelis
    replied
    Yeah, well I just don't understand why we need to spend as little as $150 on a motherboard but spend $2000 on the editing hardware.
    Yes, but how often do you need to change that editing hardware?? Many people in this forum still use canopus boards they bought 5-6 years ago...
    Is there anyone still using a 5-6 years old computer??
    I don't think so...

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    Can some kind person check out this PCI-e x1 raid controller this may be a solution?

http://www.starline.de/Areca-ARC-120...Controller.php

Thanks

Just to note this card will go in the top slot on the board as its 168(L) mm Long so it will not hit the ram

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Yeah, well I just don't understand why we need to spend as little as $150 on a motherboard but spend $2000 on the editing hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Aristotelis
    replied
    There are many motherboards with separate onboard sata controllers...so there is always a solution for someone that do not want to spend much money on server board and raid cards...

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Comes down to Canopus's rediculous decision to implement a 2 x PCI-e system way before it was necessary. You're right I didn't consider that. This is why I believe whole-hartedly in using server boards with PCI-X slots and either EDIUS SP or NX with PCI expansion board (if you can get one) + a PCI-X Raid card.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X