No announcement yet.

Raid or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you limit the files to each drive it makes little difference if its native HDV or HQ. Drive speed is still way faster than is needed for just ONE file. HQ files are about 4 times bigger as I recall, so the drive throughput is still 4 or 5 times faster than is needed for one file read or write. Also a RAID 0 of two drives with multiple track files as well as temp files will be slower than separate drives. Most modern Sata 2 drives will have throughput of close to 60MBs when empty and only slow down to about 35MBs when close to full and fragmented( 10 times faster than needed for DV or native HDV). They are cheap, and a lot easier to manage in my mind. With the modern fast drives the big advantage of a RAID is ease of use. Just one big drive. But its not necessarily faster. For a business environment I would likely use a redundant RAID 5 etc just because of the ease of use and security of not having to re-capture if needed. But for my hobby use I see no need for a RAID.

Ron Evans
    Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Originally posted by SoundFreak View Post
      To use Raid for OS drive is a bit overkill for us as end users, nothing much to gain from there besides less money in the pocket.
      Even a mirrored OS raid (if not hot swappable) will take longer to exchange a faulty drive than that, and certainly can't beat the 40 of 50 Bucks for the software, right ?
      I agree that for most users who have some time to spend backing up their system, a mirrored OS is probably overkill.

For me, the majority of my place stops working smoothly when my automation controller (not an editing machine) is down, so I started treating it like a server - and the mirrored drives are hot-swappable.
      Vantec EZ-Swap EX makes for a nice hot-swap enclosure for 2.5-inch drives. Also convenient for data (not boot) backup since you can pull it out and connect it to another machine via USB. :)

Comment

You guys need to go outside and see what daylight looks like! Tell me if this is doable and please remember I am old....be kind.

1) One 500gb Sata as C drive (not on raid) with winxp 32bit on 1st partition
        2) Winxp 64bit on second partition
        3) Music, etc on 3rd partition
        4) Internal Sata raid with three 500gb drives
        5) External Sata raid with two 500gb drives

I hope I can back up my projects on the external raid. Still thinking about how to archive completed projects.

JoJo Gunn

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn View Post
          1) One 500gb Sata as C drive (not on raid) with winxp 32bit on 1st partition
          2) Winxp 64bit on second partition
          3) Music, etc on 3rd partition
          4) Internal Sata raid with three 500gb drives
          5) External Sata raid with two 500gb drives
          Sounds OK, as long as the music and stuff on the 3rd partition isn't used a lot (as accessing the different partitions simultaneously will cause extra seeking).

Comment

Working...
          X