Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Ramsey
    replied
    I used to have gamma issues (milky video) when rendering out h264 .mov's from EDIUS, but for some reason lately it has been working fine and rendering out proper gamma. Don't know what is different, other than potentially a change from 7.2 something to 7.3 of quicktime pro...

Later,
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    Hmmm, very funny - I have no problems playing this DVCProHD.mov file on EDIUS ... previously, I have errors ..... maybe it might be 4.54 upgrade?

Leave a comment:

• SRsupport
    replied
    Yes but EDIUS is using the quicktime engine for qt. So the shift is not the fault of EDIUS.
    (that is as far as my info goes)

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by THoff View Post
    Blame QuickTime -- Apple handles the gamma inconsistently:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93794
    I know about the QT issues...but in apps such as AE, the resulting renders are fine if you use the right codec.

Leave a comment:

• THoff
    replied
    Blame QuickTime -- Apple handles the gamma inconsistently:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93794

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
    OK let me retract my statement. The scopes do show a slight change and after really looking at the areas it indicates, I can see a slight change visually.
    There we go :)

I forgot to post this today, but here's the TGA that I saved to my laptop for testing purposes...it is an exact extract from the FCP timeline, so you can compare it in EDIUS...no need for the EDIUS SMTPE, so we can rule out all the possibilities.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    OK let me retract my statement. The scopes do show a slight change and after really looking at the areas it indicates, I can see a slight change visually.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
    Dave, I used your test footage and then dropped some SMPTE Bars created within Edius and I could see no difference at all with the anked eye. I did not measure them.
    I'm not at my machine right now, but try putting the Mov file on track one then the SMPTE Bar on the top...open up the scopes and turn off and turn on the top track to see if anything changes in the scopes. If nothing changes, then my guess was right, EDIUS just unwraps these files without going through the QT engine...so great stuff for people who need this unadvertised feature! :)

By the way, QuickTime 7.4 is horrible, I hope you guys stay away from it until Apple releases a new version.

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    Dave, I used your test footage and then dropped some SMPTE Bars created within Edius and I could see no difference at all with the naked eye. I did not measure them.
    Last edited by pjsssss; 01-24-2008, 03:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Sweet!

One downside is that (Sorry to repeat) again, there is the QT issue with Edius, the luminance/color shift...maybe it doesn't touch the DVCPROHD files, not sure.

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    I got the exact same finding as Jerry

Leave a comment:

• THoff
    replied
    OK, I downloaded the file and had no problems whatsoever using it in Edius. For what it's worth, I'm using QuickTime Pro V7.4.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    QT for Windows will not play DVCPRO HD QT files.

EDIUS Broadcast (must be Broadcast), however, should be able to load them - it magically unwraps the QT and uses the Canopus HD codec for decoding.

Saw the color bars, at least on my machine (EDIUS Broadcast v4.54)
    Ok, I got it to open in Broadcast....provided that the file was only 5 frames of Color Bars. Opened every time I tried. Preset was 1280x1080 DVCPROHD.

Leave a comment:

• THoff
    replied
    True, but there are at least two fairly common ways of producing DVCProHD QuickTime files: using FCP/FCS, and using the Focus Enhancements FS-100 DTE device.

It is conceivable that the QuickTime wrappers that the FS-100 produces are subtly different from what QuickTime itself outputs, so I think it is important to note the workflow if we are trying to track down a potential problem.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    DVCPROHD is always included with FCP...so there is just one type of DVCPROHD codec under OSX.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X