PANASONIC AG-HVX200 with Edius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PANASONIC AG-HVX200 with Edius

What has been the take on the PANASONIC AG-HVX200 with edius? We only do SD now, but my be moving up to HD this year. We are going to get a HVX200 next week. one of our systems is a brodacast version of Edius.
    tdtinker
    tdtinker
    3 Edit Systems all running widows 10: 1 Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Quad Core 8MB 77W Edius 8.5 Vistitler 2.6.0 Window 10-12 GB-
    1 i7 QUAD CORE 920 2.66GHz 8MB 130W Overclocked to at least 3.5GHz Edius 7.51
    New system: Asus X99 i7 6900K 3.2GHz, 32GB DDR 4 Ram, GTX 1070
    Edius 8.5
    www.actvp.com

So far, pretty good. You might want to check out DVXuser.com for more info too.

Comment

I personally do not have the camera, but from reading feedback from this forum and the DVX forum, people are VERY happy with EDIUS and this camera, and most of the time they say that it beats out FCP and Premiere in regards of the way it works with the NLE's.

By the way, if you can wait until NAB, I have a feeling that Panasonic might release something that rivals the Sony EX1...maybe a small 1/2" CCD factor camera with the AVC-Intra codec with P2 chips.

Comment

I just sold my 2 Sony vx2100 so I need to get something soon.
        tdtinker
        tdtinker
        3 Edit Systems all running widows 10: 1 Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Quad Core 8MB 77W Edius 8.5 Vistitler 2.6.0 Window 10-12 GB-
        Edius 8.5
        www.actvp.com

Comment

I have an HVX200, I got Edius specifically for that camera. It was the first PC-based NLE to support the HVX, and it works extremely well.

After working with P2/MXF for a bit, you'll be spoiled and never go back to something tape-based.

Comment

I second what thoff said I have 2 HVX's!! love the workflow although I am still using 3.64 version of edius, solid as a rock.

Comment

Go to DVINFO.NET ... plenty of information on HVX202 ....

I have been using one for 1.5 years now - with EDIUS Broadcast .... ZERO problems ... Hate using tapes now :-). Super editing ... no wasting time to do capture ...

Just to warn you - please factor in the cost of the P2 cards before you buy the HVX202 camera ... lots of people didn't and I hear grumbles about the price of one P2 card .... 16GB is about US$1,400 ..... if you buy a HVX202 now, Panasonic will throw in one 16GB card FOC (in US - elsewhere, I am not sure).

And you might have to relearn the way to film your video with P2 cards - since there is basically ZERO waste ... you press record - it goes into the card ... you press OFF - the recording stops immediately.

Consider as well how you are going to archive your footage - since this is now "computer media" - not video anymore.
              TingSern
              --------------------------------------
              Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

a rival of ex1 from panasonic?? wow that will be great... hope it can beat the price too ;) is there any website where i could read about it?
                i just got my HVR-HD1000 last month for my backup ..
                believe me it is 'NOT THAT GOOD' backup camera...even AG-DVC62 could get a better image (1500USD)..but the looks could 'kill' ;)
                MOtion Candid CApture
                www.houseofmocca.com
                Indonesia

Comment

I think we are going with a firestore, anyone else using the firestore?
                  tdtinkwe
                  tdtinker
                  Edius 8.5
                  www.actvp.com

Comment

I used to have one Firestore ... but toss that into the bin. Reliability is basically ZERO. I record on tape (in SD) and into Firestore - luckily - I have the tape recording ... because when I got back to my editing station, the Firestore is missing about 30% of the clips. I have no idea where it went to.

After that, I switched over to P2 cards (also can record in HD) - and no more problems.

If you use your Firestore in studio environments. I don't think you are likely to see the issues here. Problem starts when you use the Firestore in the wild - like me - filming in national parks, etc ... when you bump here/bump there - that box is not rugged enough to cope with that.
                    TingSern
                    Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Again, in the US, you will get a 16GB P2 card for free if you buy from an authorized dealer -- you should do that anyway, but this should seal the deal.

Then spend the money you would ordinarily spend on a FS-100 and get a second (and maybe a third) P2 card. The only time I would ever consider a FS-100 would be for recording events or when you know you'll be mostly stationary. I've seen too many problems with dropouts due to connection problems, not having the camera settings and FS-100 settings synchronized, etc.

Comment

I can second what Thoff and the others said,
                        i got Edius because of the HVX200 and i guess that the speed in editing is still the best in Edius with native P2.

Seeing the After Effects update on the Horizone, this will give us a great post-workflow with AAF-export/re-import into AE, so to me thats the way to go..!

Id definitly get P2 instead of firestore...just keep the costs for backup in mind: you cant simply store on tape as you dont record onto it...but there is several ways to go and i never regret to have bought the HVX(back then at a very high price here in europe as one of the first adaptors..)....check www.dvxuser.com this will answer a lot of more questions to you..!
                        Edius 6.52
                        Windows 7-64bit
                        8GB RAM
                        Intel Core I5, [email protected],40GHz

Comment

I have several HVX200s working with Edius 4.5 Broadcast and love it. If you do a lot of event work you'll need a lot of cards. I would not trust a firestore based on some replys here.

Workflow is simple and fast. I can capture 30 minutes of HD in less than 15 minutes. For long shoots we use a laptop in the field for quick transfers to an external hard drive. I like to create a new folder for each card after it is filled called "Shoot Name" #1, "Shoot Name" #2, etc. Contents are captured into each new folder, shots are checked in Edius, then the cards are erased in the camera. The Content folder on the P2 card must not be changed in any way or you'll have trouble. The Edius P2 Utility is great at managing the organization and transfer.

jim
                          Vista 64 * Asus P6* Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU * 12 gigs Corsair * Nvidia GTX 275 * WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm System drive * (2) Hitachi 750 gig Video drives * (2) WD 1 TB Video drives * HD Spark * Edius 6.02, Imaginate, Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator

Comment

we do wedding in indonesia.. we have 4 clients/month in average..
                            and use 3 hdv cams (live lcd...SD analog out) for each wedding party..
                            12 hours of recording tape/clients(3 cams x 3 hours wedding party...+3 hours morning procession n holy matrimony...total 12 hours!-->final editing 3 hours)
                            can u imagine just how many P2 card we need for a single clients(n how much$)
                            can u imagine how big the hardisk will be,even if we transfer them.
                            each clients needs 2 weeks editing process it means i need lots n lots of hardisk
                            ..the editing workflow with P2 is tempting...but as long as it is $1400/16 GB we will never use it here...mini dv is $5 (1hour HDV).. we can capture it just WHEN we will edit it,before that it will wait in the cupboard n not filling every hardisk space that i have...hope one day the P2 or SxS will be so cheap just what happened to the SD/MMC card...but pray,coz the cheaper it gets the easier ur footage 'gone'...but nothing is impossible nowdays right?
                            MOtion Candid CApture
                            www.houseofmocca.com
                            Indonesia

Comment

For events, you got to live with tapes for a while. No choice. But for documentaries or news coverage, P2 cards are the way to go. Super fast editing. But I agree that until the cost of P2 cards comes down from the stratosphere, you can't use them to record events lasting hours on end.
                              TingSern

Comment

Working...
                              X