Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius 9: do I have to choose BT.709 (Full) or BT.709?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpot View Post
    If you have the Primary Color Correction-Filter available in your Edius-version, than two short tests should/could give you some answers.
    I don't always trust tests. Sometimes they are understandable but sometimes they aren't. Using the camera in many different environments makes the difference and the test isn't reliable. Maybe Edius doesn't distinguish the difference and does not perform well. ;)
    I trust more than one guy who has been using it for a long time
    A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoD...6FduohA/videos
    CPU: Intel i9 7940X
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
    VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti
    SSD Drive:
    (C) 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for Windows 10)
    (D) 1TB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe

Comment

EDIUS will have no problem with any of these ranges including full. But you realize those are 10 bit ranges so you will not be able to shoot 50P UHD internal in the GH5. 50p or 60P UHD for the GH5 internal is only 8bit. So 16-235 or 16 to 255, or even 0 -255 full range. 10bit is only available for slow frame rates like 23.97, 25,30. You can shoot internally HLG in HD ( 1920x1080 ) is 10 bit and 4:2:2 though and will set the range close to maximum dynamic range for the GH5.
      Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, IP4K, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ulisse View Post
        I don't always trust tests. Sometimes they are understandable but sometimes they aren't. Using the camera in many different environments makes the difference and the test isn't reliable. Maybe Edius doesn't distinguish the difference and does not perform well. ;)
        I trust more than one guy who has been using it for a long time
        By doing tests, you will know what works and what does not work, regardless what editing program your using.
        sometimes its the user who is at fault and you dont understand what your doing, and you will have a hard time creating content that is usable. and by reading the comments here, there was nothing wrong with your content.

to say "Using the camera in many different environments makes the difference" is not an excuse. every cameraman everyday will face difference environments, not matter if your in a different country/city/summer.winter etc.. the first thing is to master the camera your using! by mastering the camera, you will be able to shot in ANY environment. then when it comes to editing, you wont have any troubles editing or grading it. Don't blame the editing program if you have not master how to use the GH5 camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
          EDIUS will have no problem with any of these ranges including full. But you realize those are 10 bit ranges so you will not be able to shoot 50P UHD internal in the GH5. 50p or 60P UHD for the GH5 internal is only 8bit. So 16-235 or 16 to 255, or even 0 -255 full range. 10bit is only available for slow frame rates like 23.97, 25,30. You can shoot internally HLG in HD ( 1920x1080 ) is 10 bit and 4:2:2 though and will set the range close to maximum dynamic range for the GH5.
          I hate 25p for my work, but after the poor results of my last documentary in Africa, I'm forced to shoot 25p 10bit 422
          A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoD...6FduohA/videos
          SSD Drive:

Comment

In my opinion, a gh5 is not suitable for your work, it seems to me more suitable and comfortable and functional a 4k video camera for better results, in my opinion.
            Hi
            I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

Comment

I hate 25p for my work, but after the poor results of my last documentary in Africa, I'm forced to shoot 25p 10bit 422
              Shooting 10bit 4:2:2 will not make any difference if you do not learn to expose correctly and then know how to grade what you have shot. As I think I said to you two years ago . The GH5 has lots of capabilities but it is not a good automatic camera to use. A normal video camcorder will be better with a smaller sensor to have fast focus and bigger depth of field to make running around and shooting easier. The new Panasonic AG-X2000 would be perfect and even has a light for shooting in the dark. Battery that runs for over 4 hours too.

I know you want to get the best output but that requires you to learn how to use both the camera and software . After 2 years I do not see that effort on your part as you are still looking for some magic setting to solve all your problems. https://vimeo.com/401883385
              Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, IP4K, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Comment

I know you want to get the best output but that requires you to learn how to use both the camera and software . After 2 years I do not see that effort on your part as you are still looking for some magic setting to solve all your problems. https://vimeo.com/401883385
                Hey, you're right, but only partially. ;) I had the same problems with the Sony AX100. When I took a documentary in Indonesia, Philippines, every shot was good. My problem is Africa. I made 2 documentaries in Namibia and Ethiopia with Sony AX100 and they were bad. I'm sure I will make bad video with a video camera too in Africa. I repeat, I think my clips of my latest documentary are bad but some people on the forum is telling those clips are good. But so many clips are wonderfull too with GH5, not all are bad. I like to know better GH5 please.
                SSD Drive:

Comment

But you still don't seem to accept that the problem is you. Not the equipment. As I said 2 years ago the AX100 is fine and would still work for you if you learned to expose correctly and also learn to grade the video that you shot. Both require effort on your part that you seem to think can be avoided. It cannot. You have to put effort in to learn and the type of camera doesn't matter as the issue is the way you use it and how you edit. That is why other people can recover the clips you think are bad.

So there are two things to do. Learn to expose better and learn how to correct/grade the clips afterwards. You have demonstrated to us that both need effort on your part. The clips are underexposed and you didn't seem to know the basic tools such as waveform monitor etc needed to correct those clips that indicated more work to look good.

The Vimeo reference in my last post is by a professional cameraman well able to manually use any camera. However in the review he wanted to find out how the new Panasonic camera would behave in purely automatic everything because a lot of what he does now require him to shoot fast without the time needed to do lots of setup. Hence his view that it does really well. Will it do as well as a RED setup by a full film team. Of course not. However if the event happened really fast that team may not have got the RED out of its case before everything was over !! Just like you in Africa. You need something that you can point and shoot and get the shot you want. Just need to know how to set the camera for that. The GH5 is not that camera as I told you 2 years ago. Too many controls, poor autofocus etc etc. I love my GH5 and GH5S but they are always on a tripod in a controlled situation and even then I have custom setups for different things I just switch to.
                  Ron Evans

Comment

But you still don't seem to accept that the problem is you. Not the equipment. As I said 2 years ago the AX100 is fine and would still work for you if you learned to expose correctly and also learn to grade the video that you shot. Both require effort on your part that you seem to think can be avoided. It cannot. You have to put effort in to learn and the type of camera doesn't matter as the issue is the way you use it and how you edit. That is why other people can recover the clips you think are bad.

So there are two things to do. Learn to expose better and learn how to correct/grade the clips afterwards. You have demonstrated to us that both need effort on your part. The clips are underexposed and you didn't seem to know the basic tools such as waveform monitor etc needed to correct those clips that indicated more work to look good.

The Vimeo reference in my last post is by a professional cameraman well able to manually use any camera. However in the review he wanted to find out how the new Panasonic camera would behave in purely automatic everything because a lot of what he does now require him to shoot fast without the time needed to do lots of setup. Hence his view that it does really well. Will it do as well as a RED setup by a full film team. Of course not. However if the event happened really fast that team may not have got the RED out of its case before everything was over !! Just like you in Africa. You need something that you can point and shoot and get the shot you want. Just need to know how to set the camera for that. The GH5 is not that camera as I told you 2 years ago. Too many controls, poor autofocus etc etc. I love my GH5 and GH5S but they are always on a tripod in a controlled situation and even then I have custom setups for different things I just switch to.
                    well said!! I have been trying to express this as well... but he is not getting it.
                    myself and others have suggest that the gh5 is the wrong camera!

Comment

Hey, you're right, but only partially. ;) I had the same problems with the Sony AX100. When I took a documentary in Indonesia, Philippines, every shot was good. My problem is Africa. I made 2 documentaries in Namibia and Ethiopia with Sony AX100 and they were bad. I'm sure I will make bad video with a video camera too in Africa. I repeat, I think my clips of my latest documentary are bad but some people on the forum is telling those clips are good. But so many clips are wonderfull too with GH5, not all are bad. I like to know better GH5 please.
                      you like to know better GH5?? master it by using it and know inside out the functions. the fact that the GH5 or most dslr's have better dynamic range than most cameras, your footage should be all usable because you have great ability to adjust the footage because of the extra DR on the camera. stop making excuses... there may be nothing wrong with the clips, but it is you who thinks its all wrong... to over come this, you need to learn and master the camera/editing and use the web to get more info.... we all here have help you to the point that you can now play with your camera/editor and understand what works and what does not work. and as i said, it makes no difference where you film, the practice it all the same. like most ppl have said here, there is no miracle solution to fix all.. its the ability to understand your situation and know how to expose/edit.

Comment

We think that this thread has run its course. It has usefull information . We have the lounge If needed discussion can continue there
                        Thanks for understanding.
                        Steve

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

Working...
                        X