Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius 9: do I have to choose BT.709 (Full) or BT.709?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius 9: do I have to choose BT.709 (Full) or BT.709?

Hi, I use Lumix GH5 to shoot. I configured Edius 9 with BT.709 (color space).
    I'm making a UHD project and I have a luminance problems with my clips. They are too much bright. I went on the "Property" of the clips on the timeline and I noticed the color space is BT.709 (Full). Maybe do I have to choose BT.709?
    I attach two pics:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6we0hsipiz...%201a.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vivivugxrd...%201b.JPG?dl=0
    I can can be wrong but I think the luminance of my video should be 16-235 because I shoot UHD 50p 8bit with my GH5.
    Thanks for your info.
    A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoD...6FduohA/videos
    CPU: Intel i9 7940X
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
    VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti
    SSD Drive:
    (C) 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for Windows 10)
    (D) 1TB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe

EDIUS automatically detects the correct one which is indicated by *
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS 9 WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Ulisse View Post
      Hi, I use Lumix GH5 to shoot. I configured Edius 9 with BT.709 (color space).
      I'm making a UHD project and I have a luminance problems with my clips. They are too much bright. I went on the "Property" of the clips on the timeline and I noticed the color space is BT.709 (Full). Maybe do I have to choose BT.709?
      I attach two pics:
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/6we0hsipiz...%201a.JPG?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/vivivugxrd...%201b.JPG?dl=0
      I can can be wrong but I think the luminance of my video should be 16-235 because I shoot UHD 50p 8bit with my GH5.
      Thanks for your info.
      With the GH5, you can choose what range you would like.. please refer to the gh5 manual.

thanks
      Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 04-30-2020, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately all you you didn't explain anything to me, maybe I explained myself wrong.
        I'll explain better:
        I took shots with an wrong luminance.My GH5 had a range "full" which corresponds to 0-255. I was shooting UHD 50p 8bit. Now I see my clips a lot bright, too bright.
        Even when I export from timeline I get bad colors. If I go into "Property" of the clips and I change their color space from Rec.709 (Full) to Rec.709, the clips get colored completely differently and more densely. Should be Rec. 709 the right color space for them. Quite right?
        Then .... if I had to choose Rec. 709 for each clip, do I have to do it manually, clip by clip or can I do it in one solution only?
        Thanks
        A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoD...6FduohA/videos
        SSD Drive:

Comment

can you supply a very short clip with Full 709 and I will tell exactly what you need to do to correct the issue
          you can send via antonsvideo.wetransfer.com
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS 9 WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Then .... if I had to choose Rec. 709 for each clip, do I have to do it manually, clip by clip or can I do it in one solution only?
            You can change the color space of multiple clips at once in Bin.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              can you supply a very short clip with Full 709 and I will tell exactly what you need to do to correct the issue
              you can send via antonsvideo.wetransfer.com
              I have just sent 2 clips. Thanks
              SSD Drive:

Comment

Originally posted by Sandlance View Post
                You can change the color space of multiple clips at once in Bin.
                Thanks for the info.
                SSD Drive:

Comment

I have just sent 2 clips. Thanks
                  I had a look at your clips

if your project setting is correct at UHD 50p Rec 709, your source clips 709 full will be converted correctly to 709, never change the source clip properties

your first clip was spot on
                  your second clip was a bit underexposed and I increased the exposure by 10, see attached
                  Attached Files
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

Anton,
                    you gave me an important info to understand better. I thank you! But before you are writing me, I was conveting the clips on the timeline manually to Rec.709.
                    Now I have to tell you some clips look better if I change the color space to Rec. 709 on the timeline (manually). Could I take advantage of your last kindness? Could I send you 2 more clips please? In my opinion they look better if I convert them on the timeline.

PS: But .... could you explain why do I ever have to manually convert clips on the timeline? Why if I convert them on the timeline they chance the color gradation but if Edius does it automatically, the color gradation doesn't change?
                    SSD Drive:

Comment

can you first provide a screenshot of your UHD project setting with all advanced settings visible, I have a feeling you have an incorrect setting there

and yes, feel free to send more clips, I got an unlimited wetransfer account
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

Thank you!!!
                        I have just sent you 2 clips too.
                        Attached Files
                        SSD Drive:

Comment

your project setting is almost fine

clips 4 you sent is fine, clip 3 is 20% under exposed, see my attached comments
                          Attached Files
                          Anton Strauss

Comment

I don't have words to tank you! If the clip 3 is 20% under exposed, how do I have to increase the exposiure? Will I have to raise up around + 7 or +8 the exporure slider in the Primary color correction panel?
                            SSD Drive:

Comment

you open the waveform monitor and increase the exposure in PCC until the brightest parts touch 100 IRE, see attached
                              Attached Files
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X