Ghosting Frame Rate problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosting Frame Rate problem

Hello all!

I finish edited project which was set up at 59.94fps 1080p. The raw files are at 29.97fps. When I export to file with the settings of the project the ghosting effect appears over most of the motion shots. The same happens when I enable conversion and set the export settings to 29.97fps. Same thing happens when I change the framerate of the clips in the timeline to match the project fps.
    Is there any options to make this right without having to redo the hole project from scratch?

Thank you!

l.e.: SOLVED. scroll down for the solution
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TodesGott; 03-20-2020, 04:54 PM. Reason: solved

What was the source p or i and what frame rate ?
    It looks like a field order problem or interpolation. Is frame blending on?
    Given you are in a PAL country 59.94 ????..... hence what was the source frame rate?

Comment

the source was progressive. the export was progressive, frame blending, constant bit rate @ 50MBps, GOP structure: IBBP, no multi slice, Entropy Coding Mode: CAVLC

Comment

the source was 1080 progressive, 29.97fps. I've made the project at 59.95. The ecxport had blrame blending, not nearest frame, constant bit rate @ 50MBps, GOP structure: IBBP, no multi slice, Entropy Coding Mode: CAVLC

Comment

Ok, have you viewed source on a TV. Does it look correct or is there any shuddering due to it being in P.
          Post a screenshot of the project settings.
          Post a screenshot of export settings including advanced.
          What does the playback look like in a new 29.97 project?

Comment

I've watched it in edius, vlc player and youtube(the video is meant to be for youtube). All the players displays the same problem. While the project being set to 59.94(can't change this), the 29.94 export seems a little better(fewer ghosting frames, but still unusalbe) then the 59.94. I've also tried other export formats like [email protected](uncompressed and then imported to a new project set at 29.97), mpg2, mov and same results.
            Attached Files

Comment

29.97i and 59.94i are the same thing. Both are 29.97 frames per second or 59.94 fields per second. The only difference is if you count fields or frames.

29.97p is 29.97 frames per second and 59.94p is 59.94 frames per second (NOT the same thing, double the framerate of 29.97p)

If you put 29.97p on a 59.94p timeline and want it to play at the original speed, the computer has to make new frames. A frame blending setting does exactly what it says and blends frames together to make a new one, causing the thing you are seeing. Nearest Frame/Neighbour will cause a frame to repeat before moving to the next frame, and optical flow will try to calculate where pixels should be between the original frames to make a new one (this can sometimes lead to strange warping and bubbling).

It is always best to set up the timeline at the framerate of your original footage to avoid these things.

I would suggest you re-edit at the original source framerate.
              Last edited by BernH; 03-19-2020, 05:31 PM.
              Edius WG 9.55.9157, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.6.0, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX Titan Black 6GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Originally posted by BernH
                I would suggest you re-edit at the original source framerate.
                This is what I hardly try to avoid, because in this case I got 4 projects to re-edit which looks like the attachment with lots of cuts from bigger files. If there is no way to find a proper setting to export those projects, at least can I export the timecodes of the cuts somehow as markers?
                Attached Files

Comment

when you shoot 29.97p, edit in 29.97p, I would start the edit again
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TodesGott
                    I've watched it in edius, vlc player and youtube(the video is meant to be for youtube). All the players displays the same problem. While the project being set to 59.94(can't change this), the 29.94 export seems a little better(fewer ghosting frames, but still unusalbe) then the 59.94. I've also tried other export formats like [email protected](uncompressed and then imported to a new project set at 29.97), mpg2, mov and same results.
                    One of the things I was trying to establish was this 29.97 P source. (if it had been interlaced it might have been a field order problem)
                    We now know that it is 29.97P ...which was why I asked "What does the playback look like in a new 29.97 project?"
                    It seems obvious now that this is NOT an encoding problem but a basic "start line" issue of using 59.94 for some reason.
                    BTW is your footage 8 bit. Your project is 10bit and I would not think that is of any benefit unless your footage is 10bit. Also set overscan to 0 and Lanczos to 3 High Quality - just always do that.

TRY one section in a NEW 29.97P project and then you should see the difference. As there is no way to change the project to 59.94 you will have to start again.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDave
                      "What does the playback look like in a new 29.97 project?"
                      Sorry, I've misread that. Yes, If I start a new project at 29.97 and import the raw files, it works perfectly

Originally posted by DigitalDave
                      Lanczos to 3 High Quality - just always do that.
                      Why isn't best to use Lanczos 3 Sharper when using progressive videos?

Comment

I found the solution! It was incredibly simple stupid. I'll post it here for others who will encounter this problem:

go to each clip in the timeline, go to speed->field options and select nearest neighbour instead of frame blending. After this you can export it the project settings of the project with no ghosting(blurriness) problem.
                        Thank you all for replying to this thread!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TodesGott
                          I found the solution! It was incredibly simple stupid. I'll post it here for others who will encounter this problem:

go to each clip in the timeline, go to speed->field options and select nearest neighbour instead of frame blending. After this you can export it the project settings of the project with no ghosting(blurriness) problem.
                          Thank you all for replying to this thread!
                          I mentioned the nearest neighbour setting above.
                          Edius WG 9.55.9157, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.6.0, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX Titan Black 6GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Originally posted by BernH
                            I mentioned the nearest neighbour setting above.
                            I thought you were talking about the export settings which I had already tried and didn't work.
                            Thank you for the explanations!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎