Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shueardm
    replied
    Thanks Barry, I had not thought about that.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    You're buying PC8500 ram which is expensive here too :).

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    O my word you guy's in the states buy ram for peanuts!

I have just paid 145 uk pounds for 2 gig gail ddr2 pc 8500 1066 mghz ram kit

what is that in us dollars $$$$$$

Videoguys is selling a DVD IT PRO HD and a PIONEER blueray burner for an amazing price!

anyone fancy buying and sending one to me?? O and some ram !!

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by shueardm View Post
    Not really to do with EDIUS but how come I'm using 3GB RAM when encoding. All that's being used is ProCoder Queue manager. So for me, I'm glad I got 4GB and not 2GB.
    PS. I think 4 X 1GB is better than 2 x 2BG.
    Not sure that having 1gbx4 will make that big of a difference between 2x2gb.

These are Dual Channel memory kits anyways...however, if you jump to DDR3 RAM, I'm sure you will see a huge improvment...but these sticks are too expensive at the moment and not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    Just to add to Dave's reply:
    On newer mobo's with the correct ram speed detected, not overclocked at install, Windows 32bit will automatically throw in the PAE switch so that
    it will show 3.5gb of ram. It did this on my P5kWS board.
    On the same note, I am of the belief that Windows 32bit, even though it does not show, will use whatever ram is installed. I know that my older machine reacts completely different with 2gbs as opposed to 4gbs. It only detects 2gb. But, when I add that extra 2gb the system will handle multitasking with greater ease. There is no way to prove it, except I have taken this puppy to the extreme and back, and no crashes. JMHO
    To add to Jerry's reply (sorry, not meant as a joke :D )

I concur that adding RAM will increase multi tasking speed. It frees the page file and stops it from always being written to, so the hard drive is only used for launching applications.

I recently upgraded from 1GB to 3GB of RAM on my home PC (Vista 32) and the speed has increased by about 40%!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    Just get 2x2GB...it's around $50-60 for high quality PC6400 (800MHz) OCZ, Crucial, etc RAM right now. Windows 32bit (Vista or XP SP2) will see 3.5GB only, though.

Example, here's one on sale right now:

http://www.frys.com/product/5439699

It has nice timings too.

Just to add to Dave's reply:
    On newer mobo's with the correct ram speed detected, not overclocked at install, Windows 32bit will automatically throw in the PAE switch so that
    it will show 3.5gb of ram. It did this on my P5kWS board.
    On the same note, I am of the belief that Windows 32bit, even though it does not show, will use whatever ram is installed. I know that my older machine reacts completely different with 2gbs as opposed to 4gbs. It only detects 2gb. But, when I add that extra 2gb the system will handle multitasking with greater ease. There is no way to prove it, except I have taken this puppy to the extreme and back, and no crashes. JMHO

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    Mark
    The PF usage (Bottom left) is the amount placed on the Pagefile (Disk) not memory used.
    To see the memory used look at "Physical memory" three entries
    Total
    Available
    System Cache
    Take the available from the total to get the memory used
    When I use Procoder all 4 cores are between 60 and 100%
    Total 2095500
    Available min 200000
    System Cache wildly varying
    With the Quad core render time for HD to HDV better than real time, 6 min timeline takes 4.5 min instead of 12 min on dual core
    Impressive It will be interestimng to see how long it takes to encode a 2 pass DVD
    Regards Barry

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Not really to do with EDIUS but how come I'm using 3GB RAM when encoding. All that's being used is ProCoder Queue manager. So for me, I'm glad I got 4GB and not 2GB.
    PS. I think 4 X 1GB is better than 2 x 2BG.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Just get 2x2GB...it's around $50-60 for high quality PC6400 (800MHz) OCZ, Crucial, etc RAM right now. Windows 32bit (Vista or XP SP2) will see 3.5GB only, though.

Example, here's one on sale right now:

http://www.frys.com/product/5439699

It has nice timings too.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    Brandon and I think a like :)

Just because RAM is the same type doesn't mean that it will play nice together. :)

Mike

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    I'll still talk to you, because I like you. :) Besides, I spent some time home last year too.

Now that I think about it, if RAM is affordable to you and you have more than 4 slots for RAM, I would get 4 x 1GB. By getting them all at once, you have less to worry about regarding mismatched or mixed RAM.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    We are going to be Vista ready one day ya know. :)

Mike

Leave a comment:

• SRsupport
    replied
    "If it is reasonably priced you could prepare for the future with the 4 Gigs"

Are you trying to tell us something? :)

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    Depends on the Price of the memory.

If it is reasonably priced you could prepare for the future with the 4 Gigs.

If it is rather expensive then wait. BUT... with waiting comes the questions of Will you be able to get the exact memory later and if you can will the two runs be truly compatible.

With memory just because the type is the same doesn't always mean that it plays well together... even from the same manufacturer.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    Under WinXP 32 SP2, the maximum user address space is about 2.5GB to 2.8GB. Even if you have 4GB RAM, WinXP 32 only maps the 2.8GB or so for a user program. The rest of the address space is for the OS and h/w resources (especially PCI-E cards).

In short, unless you are running WinXP 64 - there is little or NO gain in putting more memory greater than 2GB.

EDIUS (and most other video editing programs) are not memory bound - but I/O and CPU - especially for RT effects under EDIUS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X