Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chromakey confusion when adding masks and layout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromakey confusion when adding masks and layout.

I'm sure I've done this before - but can't work out how!
    I have shot chromakey footage where mics etc are in shot which I can easily mask out with the mask tool and turning down the outside section I want to loose to 0%. However, how do I then apply the chromakey and only key out the greenscreen as it then shows the masked section as black bars.
    To complicate things I then want to use the layout tool to position the layer into the right place and scale it.
    The only way I can make this work is try and use the block colour on the mask tool, and also in the layout tool and find the right shade - but I'm sure there is a simple way of telling edius to ignore the masked areas.
    Matt, AdVision TV Ltd

Main System: Edius X WG 10.30 - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24 Core Processor 3.79 GHz, 64GB Ram, Win 10, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 Graphics Card

Laptop System: Edius X WG 10.30 - Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6Ghz, 64GB RAM

You can do a search but in layout pit the background color to the same color as your chromakey color.

I have explained this a few times in detail so a search will get you there. :(
    Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Thanks Steve. Yes - thats the only way Ive ended up doing it - but its a shame that once you mask something and put it at 0%, or crop something, that it doesnt then simply become invisible so that the layer beneath is revealed (a bit like on photoshop)

Matt
      Matt, AdVision TV Ltd

Main System: Edius X WG 10.30 - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24 Core Processor 3.79 GHz, 64GB Ram, Win 10, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 Graphics Card

Comment

Its mainly that the chromakey is one of the few effects that still needs updating - hence the blue tick on the effect meaning it is not 10 bit and does not support alpha channels.

If you use a third party keyer the mask would work properly. Ignite Pro has a pretty good keyer that works with the mask although I have found that it causes crashes occassionally.
        EDIUS silver certified trainer.
        Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

That makes sense David. So does that mean as soon as I apply the Edius Chromakey it degrades the footage down from 10bit to 8bit?
          Does a 3rd party keyer appear as a key affect - or a a video filter? I’m hoping the latter so that you can reorder it (eg put it before or after colour correction etc)
          Matt, AdVision TV Ltd

Comment

I use Robuskey and it is a filter and I usually drag it above the layouter, then I can zoom and position all day long with the layouter
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Thanks Anton. I’ll have a look. Is it 10 bit and ha does 4K nicely?
              Matt, AdVision TV Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by advisiontv View Post
                Thanks Anton. I’ll have a look. Is it 10 bit and ha does 4K nicely?

yes to all, but you need a good graphics card for realtime 4k playback with Robuskey
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I have not noticed a degrade in quality using either the chromakey filter or the chrominance filter (which has the same limitation) so I don't know if it just means they only use 8 bit colours to do the job but won't degrade other 10 bit filters or I have simply not noticed them doing so.

Robuskey is probably the best third party keyer. Any third party ones turn up as filters and can be re-ordered. Oher options would be Ignite as I mentioned and I think NewBlue does one. There are trial versions of all of these.
                  EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                  Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                  Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                  Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
                    Oher options would be Ignite as I mentioned and I think NewBlue does one. There are trial versions of all of these.
                    We do! It's called Chroma Key Pro and you can find out more information (as well as download a trial version) on this page:

https://newbluefx.com/products/elements/chroma-key-pro/

Comment

Working...
                    X