Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MinMinc.
    replied
    Gave up on Imaginate, still soft, even before any render, obvious soft in the preview window, seems stuck on a blur value...might just be my software...I've tried re-installing but same problem. Anyone out their with this type of problem and any fix. Gary (Mr. softie)..

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Barry I cannot begin to wonder how you found the 1:2:1 pull down in Boris export solved the shimmer, wow... wonder how that worked?

Here I film mostly in 25P mode so in Imaginate export with HQ codec I choose progressive frames rather than upper field first and provided I tell Edius the AVI is progressive everything is hunky-dory.

I don't how Imaginate manages to avoid the shimmer you mention that you got from MSP Cbut but it does, unlike ProShow Producer which also makes animated slides that shimmer like crazy and anyway Proshow only does interlaced and has a 2GB limit in Canopus HQ codec, (11 slides).

So praise be to Imaginate, fast and easy to use and almost but not quite perfect, bought mine from dvc.uk.com here in the UK without any trouble last year and it seems to be still available.

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    Originally posted by Claire View Post
    Looks like this further step in my routine is in order to maintain maximum quality.

Oh dear, am I too fussy or what...
    No I don't think so, with HDV Hi def any change in sharpness / picture quality is noticeable.
    When I was using SD I used zoom in Premier or Motion in MSP and no noticeable degradation was seen, BUT the viewing medium could not pick the difference.
    When I moved to EDIUS and used 3D PIP to manipulate stills Pan / zoom etc there was a considerable drop in resolution, part of Edius being able to mix formats, so I went back to Premier and it was no better but MSP maintained the full picture quality BUT, the video then had shimmering edges to any fine detail in the picture.
    I do not have Imaginate, not available in Australia, but I have found using Boris Red (Rather expensive) the picture quality is maintained and by using the 1:2:1 pull down for export in Boris eliminates the shimmering edges but maintains the sharpness.
    Regards Barry

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Image rotation in Imaginate

As usual I exported my recent HD slideshow animation to Edius as an HQ avi file rather than as an IVT since this is the only way to preserve sharpness as seen on a decent HDTV. However despite this method, this time I was surprised to see that when I viewed the result in Edius the stills with rotation on them were no longer as sharp as the original stills.

After some head scratching I discovered that it's the one or two degrees of rotation in Imaginate that is the trouble, when I removed it they became pin sharp. So I decided to straighten them in Photoshop before taking them into Imaginate.

Problem solved, the resolution drop with Photoshop doing the rotation is miniscule. (Ruler down one of the lamposts > Image > Rotate > Arbitary)

Looks like this further step in my routine is in order to maintain maximum quality.

Oh dear, am I too fussy or what...

Leave a comment:

• MinMinc.
    replied
    Thanks again Anton, I'll give it a try. Gary

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    the image on the right is a very tiny % softer due to the fact that it is already zoomed a bit, view the following at 100% size (not shrunk by browser)
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/edius45/IM2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I save the images into tga format prior to use in IM2

tga is the ideal still image format for video

Leave a comment:

• MinMinc.
    replied
    Still don't have a fix for the soft image, using Fuji & Nikon D-70 cameras, very clean jpegs, the second I open the file in Imaginate the smaller window on the right shows the softness, right then I know I'm in trouble. and ideas on image format or settings to try. Gary

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Anton,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I agree if there is constant motion in the show then this softness might not be an issue, depending on content. I could not test this feature with the trial version of Imaginate since it didn't allow a save so when I bought the full version and saw this issue I was niggled.

Fortunately as I found out a rendered avi doesn't have the softness so it's the editors choice which method to use, as long as the issue is known about that's their decision.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I am using a 42" HD Plasma connected via component to SP board output

I have done your test and I see that the IVT is a very little bit softer in Pal, not enough to worry me, 10% sharpness brought it in line without causing side effects

however, if I make the images move, then it is very difficult to see a difference

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Do this...

Use a single photo in your Imaginate project, make the duration a few seconds and scale it to 1.0 with no motion.

Render it as an HQ avi.

Place the ivp on the bottom track in Edius and put the avi on the track above, finally put the original photo on a third track scale the photo to 100%. (3072 x 2048) with layout tool.

To see the difference toggle the top two tracks off and on. If you are able to see a large enough preview the photo and the rendered avi will be sharp and the ivp will be soft. I am looking at a photo of a hotel wall where the cement rendering and the roof tiles go from tack sharp to hazy. The difference is like a photo taken with a prime Canon lens compared to one taken with a Sigma zoom lens

If you don't see it it will be because you are looking at too small a preview, the small default monitor size in Edius is not going to reveal this, even with it stretched out as far as I can get it on my 19" computer screen it's easy to miss the softening if you don't compare it with the original or an AVI, but it's as plain as day on the HDTV, which is where the people viewing are going to see it.

PS, sorry about my errors with scaling in Imaginate in my earlier post, should of course be a scale range of 0.62 to 1.00.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    test complete

1. the IVT looks the same sharpness once played, but the IVT looks softer if you step through frame by frame during a move, this does not bother me

2. render to HD 1920x1080 50i Pal HQ from IM2 produces flickermotion during the move, so I must alter the field order in Edius clip properties to lower field, this fixes it

3. so, IM2 renders the wrong field order when choosing Pal HD HQ, technically speaking it renders upper field first which is meant to be correct but for some reason, Edius plays it with flickermotion

field order issues have been around for some time in Canopus products, but luckily Edius allows for a simple fix

Note: I always start an IM2 size and move position on even pixel numbers and I always end on even pixel numbers (out of habit from Speed Razor days, try it and see if it helps)

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    well, I also have a Canon EOS and I will try this now at HD resolution

back soon

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Anton, I wish I had your tact and diplomacy when faced with people speaking goofy stuff, like making the HD frame 1080 wide instead of 1920.

Heh!

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    I have not tried HD resolution in IM2, btw, target width 1080 sounds strange?

I use SD 16:9 D1 or DV and IM2 IVT files look sharper than if I was to render to avi
    Whoops! Sorry I should say ***1920****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X