Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NX Express card works with????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NX Express card works with????

    I am trying to determine if the HP 8400 computer that I have located will work with Edius NX Express. It has:

    Dual Quad X5365 3.0 processors
    8gb ram
    4 500gb sata drives
    Good video card (if necessary, I can change the card)
    !331fsb
    1 pci-express 133 slot
    2 pci-express 100 slots
    WXP x64

    Only one HP mother board is listed on the compatability list!

    Thanks,
    Gunn
    Last edited by Gunn; 01-10-2008, 12:32 AM.

  • #2
    These are the xw8400 series Workstations?

    We use them for our turnkeys. :)

    Comment


    • #3
      Doesn't HP sell systems with the new Xeon Harpertown CPUs? Apple started selling them already. If HP hasn't gotten on the boat yet, wait a week or two, the price should come down.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gunn View Post
        I am trying to determine if the HP 8400 computer that I have located will work with Edius NX Express. It has:

        Dual Quad X5365 3.0 processors
        8gb ram
        4 500gb sata drives
        Good video card (if necessary, I can change the card)
        !331fsb
        1 pci-express 133 slot
        2 pci-express 100 slots
        WXP x64

        Only one HP mother board is listed on the compatability list!

        Thanks,
        Gunn
        If you are using Windows XP 64, there are no drivers for this. The machine
        itself looks great, but don't assume that Edius will use the 8 processors while editing. This is major overkill for Edius. If you use AE or other compositing or rendering programs, then the 8 processors will come into play. Also, in order to use the NX, Windows XP 32 must be installed and at that point the max of ram able to be recognized will be 3.5 gb.
        If you are dead set on getting that type of machine go for it. But, make sure your purchase is based on programs being created in the future with multi core threading. These programs are growing, but still have not made it into mainstream editing, as of yet.

        If you are buying for future expansion, make sure you get the new PCI-Express 2.0 slots. Video cards are now shipping with 2.0 capabilities and
        I'm sure others will follow. The problem with buying for vapor ware is hardware will be faster, and possibly cheaper, by the time
        the software is available. The expense for this machine is considerable, so weigh your options carefully.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com
        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

        Vistitle YouTube Channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

        Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf


        Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think I am too old and slow for this industry. As I now understand, I must switch the OS to x32 to use NX-Express? But then I am limited to 4gm of ram?
          Is there a different card I should consider?
          All these changes only because I want to edit EX-1 files!

          Gunn

          Comment


          • #6
            The NX Express will work great for you. :)


            Mike

            Comment


            • #7
              Everyone,

              Thanks for your help. I will have both 32x and 64x on the computer and reboot as required. Hopefully GV will develop a 64bit version of NX.
              BTW, Canopus customer service has never been great but now it is awful! If it was not for the forum, I would go to another provider. I was the first user of DVRex in Atlanta and that is years ago. I guess buying and installing an Edius product is a "Rite of Passage". I still have questions but I do not want to be a pita.

              Gunn

              Comment


              • #8
                Ask away. That is what we are here for...sometimes to help, sometimes to learn.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gunn View Post
                  I think I am too old and slow for this industry. As I now understand, I must switch the OS to x32 to use NX-Express? But then I am limited to 4gm of ram?
                  Is there a different card I should consider?
                  All these changes only because I want to edit EX-1 files!

                  Gunn
                  I don't see the problem with using XP32. Once Edius 4.6 is released and the settings for the Ex-1 files are installed, you should be able to do everything that you want to do. Just remember to get a good fast raid for your captures.

                  If this does not suit your needs you can shell out around $6400 for a new Mac Pro (w/o monitors), then $1200 for software, another $3,000 for an AJA Kona 3 card, and then another $6000-10,000 for a raid system. But, it will be 64bit.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com
                  If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

                  Vistitle YouTube Channel
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

                  Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                  http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf


                  Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                  Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    I don't see the problem with using XP32. Once Edius 4.6 is released and the settings for the Ex-1 files are installed, you should be able to do everything that you want to do. Just remember to get a good fast raid for your captures.

                    If this does not suit your needs you can shell out around $6400 for a new Mac Pro (w/o monitors), then $1200 for software, another $3,000 for an AJA Kona 3 card, and then another $6000-10,000 for a raid system. But, it will be 64bit.
                    32bit is higher than I can count anyway.

                    Gunn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The dual quad computer is on the way.Where can I get the best deal on NX Express? BTW, why is a 64bit card still mentioned on "Products"? It seems that the 64bit version has been in the field already. I am confused!

                      Gunn

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Careful not to confuse a 64-bit CPU and corresponding Operating System with peripheral interface specifications. They're completely separate things.

                        ISA cards supported 8-bit and 16-bit
                        VLB cards supported 16-bit and 32-bit
                        PC Card (aka PCMCIA) supported 16-bit (similar to ISA)
                        CardBus supported 32-bit (similar to PCI)
                        PCI cards supported 32-bit and 64-bit
                        PCI-X cards supported 64-bit

                        This is just how "wide" the data "highway" is for the interface. It has nothing to do with 32- or 64-bit OS or 32- or 64-bit CPUs. 64-bit PCI cards work fine in 32-bit Windows, they just have more bus bandwidth.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
                          Careful not to confuse a 64-bit CPU and corresponding Operating System with peripheral interface specifications. They're completely separate things.

                          ISA cards supported 8-bit and 16-bit
                          VLB cards supported 16-bit and 32-bit
                          PC Card (aka PCMCIA) supported 16-bit (similar to ISA)
                          CardBus supported 32-bit (similar to PCI)
                          PCI cards supported 32-bit and 64-bit
                          PCI-X cards supported 64-bit

                          This is just how "wide" the data "highway" is for the interface. It has nothing to do with 32- or 64-bit OS or 32- or 64-bit CPUs. 64-bit PCI cards work fine in 32-bit Windows, they just have more bus bandwidth.
                          Good grief! My tax return is easier than this. What about "no driver is available for 64bit" ?

                          Gunn

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            lol...that is the first itme I have heard someone complain about too much informtaion...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
                              lol...that is the first itme I have heard someone complain about too much informtaion...
                              That is not a complaint! It's just that I only have 41 brain cells left and I can't waste them learning too much.

                              Gunn

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X