Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ken7
    replied
    OK he said sheepishly, Creator IS putting the chapter points in fairly accurate spots...it's the thumbnails that are all over the place! But yes, it's a relatively simple thing to readjust that.

Leave a comment:

• ken7
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    I have tested this in Pal and can't repeat the problem

some things to consider:
    1. in order to get close enough chapter points, the project must start from the leftmost point of the timeline
    2. in NTSC, there maybe DF versus NDF issues?
    Anton, we can rule out #1 since the projects I've tried meet that criteria. It does look like an NTSC vs PAL issue.

Leave a comment:

• gapmedia
    replied
    Ahhh, not a function I use. Tried it, and you are correct. Even after manually changing the thumbnails they were incorrect after writing out the DVD.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    To be more precise: chapter points are here (DV PAL) correctly translated from the timeline to the DVD, the thumbnails used for the chapter points on the DVD are not correct. The thumbnails are sometimes several minutes out of sync with the chapter points. (a lot more than what could be explained by the mpeg-structure)

When I was talking about correcting => I meant correcting the thumbnails.

Leave a comment:

• gapmedia
    replied
    Chapter points seem to work okay for me in PAL also.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I have tested this in Pal and can't repeat the problem

some things to consider:
    1. in order to get close enough chapter points, the project must start from the leftmost point of the timeline
    2. in NTSC, there maybe DF versus NDF issues?

Leave a comment:

• ken7
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Just hope this get fixed ... I also like a simple and fast DVD tool so I do hope since the first release of this tool that the chapterpoints get fixed.

Meanwhile, you can correct them manually if you have the time ...
    Bart, how do you adjust this manually? Even that doesn't seem clear in the instructions. It seems to me this is more than a GOP issue since in my case I'm seeing errors of 7 minutes!

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Just hope this get fixed ... I also like a simple and fast DVD tool so I do hope since the first release of this tool that the chapterpoints get fixed.

Meanwhile, you can correct them manually if you have the time ...

Leave a comment:

• ken7
    replied
    I'm trying to use the Canopus DVD Creator for simple DVD authoring. However, the markers I set on my timeline aren't even close to what Creator is showing. As an example, I'll try a marker at 30 seconds into the project and Creator puts a chapter point at 7 minutes 8 seconds into the DVD.

That's not even in the same ballpark. I can even accept an error of a second or 1/2 second, but to be off by many minutes...I must be missing something.

As to previous comments about Edius dropping this feature, I totally disagree. Often you may need nothing more than a simple DVD with limited authoring. The workflow is incredibly easy with something like Creator if it works properly. To ask for accurate chapter points is really not asking a lot.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get at least within a second or two of markers?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Evans
    replied
    Thanks Anton. That looks a great way to do it as I like TMPGenc4 too.

Ron Evans

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    as promised
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...-chapters.html

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Hi Ron

watch this post, something of interest will appear

Leave a comment:

• Ron Evans
    replied
    It is my understanding that chapter marks have to be on I-Frames to meet the DVD spec. So the only way to set an accurate chapter mark is to have the encoder set an i-frame at the chapter mark( otherwise the authoring program will move to the nearest i-frame). It has nothing to do with the NLE, just the encoder. Which is why it is important to have the MPEG encoder as part of the NLE or authoring program. Not always the best choice in encoders though. Most of the time this is not important I just happened to have had this problem a few times in the past year. Even with frame indexing DVD Lab is still not as accurate( because of i-frame control) as doing the same thing in Vegas and Architect which ended up absolutely on the chapter marks as set, at least on all my DVD players!!!
    Ron Evans

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak
    replied
    I'm using DVD Workshop 2 and manualy type the time code from the edius export list in the DVD chapter list, Have not found a way to import (if someone know's how please reveal).

It's alot of work but every maker you set in Edius will get the exact same frame accurate spot in the final DVD, never had problems with that.

DVD workshop is not the best out there, that I'm sure of, you can make pretty good menu's, but a sub menu jump is a bit rough, well it does what I need it to do and makes good ISO files at a reasonable speed. How ever nice a menu is, if you have seen it trice it's mostly twice too many.

Burning I still do with Nero, for me no other ................

Edit : oops, I forgot the part of the I Frame, in DVD workshop you can switch this to "OFF" and this allows you to place the marker at any spot, have not tried this, so can't report if this works reliable. Even with using I frame "ON" you seldom get in to trouble, a good work around for this is to set the chapter marker 12 frames early.

If chapter points are disturbing to you and just a few frames away from the I frame, re-edit your footage so that it fits.
    If you're chapter points need to be so extreme frame accurate maybe you need to pay extra special attention while editing and shorten or lenghten the footage to fit you I frame.
    Keep in mind that not every DVD player available will show the I frame when jumping back and forth between chapters. often they miss a whole bunch of frames before spitting out the picture .....................
    Last edited by SoundFreak; 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Evans
    replied
    Yes Anton I use both these methods to move chapter points but they still have to be on an I-Frame, thats half a second. Some of the exercises video I have done have lots of exercises that are only 35 to 50 seconds long I needed to ensure the chapter point was exactly at the right point. Only Vegas encode will do this consistently over a 30 min with over 35 chapters. Architect was a pain to use but did do the task successfully.

Ron Evans

Leave a comment:

Working...
X