Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius 8 Pro constantly crashing (new problem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    this means there are still Win updates happening, there will be many GB of updates

can you check what version of Win10 you have now

also be sure to turn off all Microsoft spying features and Win update sharing with Ultimate Win Tweaker 4

and remember to set Power Options to max performance and disable fast startup in Windows, not in Bios

Click Power Options
    Click Choose what the power buttons do
    Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
    Click Turn on fast startup (recommended) so that the check mark disappears
    Click Save changes

Hey Anton, thanks for all the replies and responses here.
    There's definately valuable 'maximizing PC performance for Edius' advice in here

Unfortunately 100% as per my last post, the guys who originally were insisting it was hardware and not software related were right.
    Soon as the computer started doing the freezing the previous copy of the same model did, I realized it has to be a dud chipset...

this particular ROG STRIX model had a lot of bad reviews (after I purchased it) - and thankfully for this reason I guess ASUS enabled Best Buy and (I assume other) retailers to allow customers to swap for another model

I've had the new model for a couple of weeks now and I've had one crash in 2 weeks.. which could have been anything

Really happy with the new laptop, about to finish editing a wedding video with it, and had NO crashing whatsoever

I left a bad review for the MODEL of asus on the best buy website, and Asus responded (not denying anything) saying 'we hope you can swap it for another Asus model you're happy with and continue to be part of the Asus family"
    so that tells me there's been a LOT of returns on it

the NEW LAPTOP MODEL
    that I switched it for is as follows

ASUS - 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD - Metal Star Gray

I will update my signature to reflect this, but everything about this laptop is lovely.. no sign of crashing, nice body, nice design, fast running, no mystery blue screens or freezing

I did do my installs as per BERN and everyone elses suggestions, installed Edius #1 after doing all the Winupdates..
    then photoshop etc.

thank you everyoen. I will bookmark this thread as there are excellent suggestions about optimizing the running of and I appreciate everyone who tried to help in this terribly frustrating matter

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by tryingtolearn View Post
    ok so brain overload

After I reinstalled windows.. problems with windows that were not there suddenly appeared..
    login screen getting stuck for 10 minutes or more and me having to hard reset the laptop, then when windows appeared getting a grey box of 'windows is not functioning properly'
    basic functions like right click on desktop freezing, lagging, not working.
    this means there are still Win updates happening, there will be many GB of updates

can you check what version of Win10 you have now

also be sure to turn off all Microsoft spying features and Win update sharing with Ultimate Win Tweaker 4

and remember to set Power Options to max performance and disable fast startup in Windows, not in Bios

Click Power Options
    Click Choose what the power buttons do
    Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
    Click Turn on fast startup (recommended) so that the check mark disappears
    Click Save changes
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 07-04-2019, 12:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    ok so brain overload

After I reinstalled windows.. problems with windows that were not there suddenly appeared..
    login screen getting stuck for 10 minutes or more and me having to hard reset the laptop, then when windows appeared getting a grey box of 'windows is not functioning properly'
    basic functions like right click on desktop freezing, lagging, not working.

I remembered that when I first got this laptop Asus Rog Strix in June last year I actually had to exchange it completely in September due to those issues.. basic right click on desktop lagging.
    They exchanged the laptop completely.

all of a sudden this laptop doing the same thing
    SO i believe those of you who suggested it was a hardware issue / faulty hardware all along were right

the fact that this 2nd model of the same make of laptop to have the same issue so I believe Asus should place this laptop on recall. I looked at the Amazon reviews and this particular Strix had a 20% 1 star review of people claiming it was DOA or functioned for 3 months then the motherboard died.

I KNEW that best buys policy would be to send this junk to Asus - and make me wait for it, and I argued that at 10 months old I wasn't prepared to have Asus repair it, then in 3 months it dies again and isn't under warranty.. Best Buy went against their normal procedure and gave me what I wanted, which was to exchange the laptop for another Asus ROG in the same price range

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked ASUS - 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD - Metal Star Gray

First off I did what Antons previous post above this one suggests, including emptying the temp folder after all of the updates.

I uninstalled Mcafee which came with a free month trial installed, so I uninstalled that, and I uninstalled a couple of other pre-installed unnecsssary things like the xbox something or other that comes installed

I installed edius and have loaded in a bunch of videos and added a bunch of effects and then multiplied the videos and added a bunch of effects and while there was a little 3-7 second lag, there was no crash whatsoever

I have to install Office 2016, and Photoshop, and my browsers..
    and I have to install Wave Arts Master Restoration into Edius (I'll have to email them about the machine ID)

hopefully I won't have any problems this time

I also created a restore point BEFORE installing Edius
    so I may create another one now before I install anything else

thank you everyone for your help so far.
    I'll redownload that PDF about maximizing windows for Edius too.. i just really hope this problem is behind me now!

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    you restore the PC and then run Win updates several times, because it will be way old after restore

to create a Win update shortcut on desktop:
    right click desktop, click new shortcut and type ms-settings:windowsupdate and click ok

then, right click desktop, new shortcuts, type %Temp% and click ok

empty this Temp folder daily

once you know Win is fully up to date with the current version, then install EDIUS (typically Win Defender does not cause issues with EDIUS installation)

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    Hey guys sorry for the delay have had a hectic week or so with a lot of family emergencies

currently 'RESETTING THIS PC' on the new laptop to restore factory defaults on C drive

just to be clear, you want me to
    a) install edius 8 pro FIRST before anything else right?

b) do I need to disable MS defender first?

Any other suggestions?

the reset is likely to take a few hours so I want to make sure I do things in the right order
    thanks all

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    ANTON just crashed again and the Grass Valley Local Temp file doesn't have a dump file :(
    could you read my post 58 and 59

I need an answer on post 58 about what you do when it crashes

and I need you do complete the step as seen in post 59

Leave a comment:

• Ron Evans
    replied
    Use Avast's own removal tool. https://www.avast.com/en-ca/uninstall-utility

Leave a comment:

• trillium
    replied
    I hate Avast. It was constant source of irritation and almost impossible to completely remove.

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2be7xc28z0...35305.dmp?dl=0

new crash dump

Leave a comment:

• BernH
    replied
    TIngsern - yes my friends IT husband is saying driver issue now.. he agrees with what you have said..
    I will finish this client job (should be finished in next 2 hours)
    then uninstall edius and try all the asus drivers

GEOFF
    I commpletely removed Avast when Anton asked me to, so when I do the reinstall (will redownload the files from Grass Valley site today) that will eradicate that step

Do I disable windows defender and uninstall malwarebytes before installing too?
    Drivers issues can cause lots of grief, in particular, if your Win10 is the Home version where it enforces updates. I'd suggest that you also employ the Win10 tweaking guide that Jerry has listed in his signature to help avoid this issue.

Personally, I have installed Edius with a virus scanner running in the past and sometimes had issues and sometimes didn't, so as a matter of course, I now disable the scanner just in case.

I also prefer using a 3rd party scanner (something like Avast), as it is a lot easier to disable the "shields", do the install and re-enable the shields, than it is to disable the one built into Windows. Often 3rd party scanners push out virus definition updates more often also, so you have a more current protection.
    Last edited by BernH; 07-29-2019, 10:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    TIngsern - yes my friends IT husband is saying driver issue now.. he agrees with what you have said..
    I will finish this client job (should be finished in next 2 hours)
    then uninstall edius and try all the asus drivers

GEOFF
    I commpletely removed Avast when Anton asked me to, so when I do the reinstall (will redownload the files from Grass Valley site today) that will eradicate that step

Do I disable windows defender and uninstall malwarebytes before installing too?

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    Gentlemen,

I am running Norton's Internet Security with the firewall activated and all of the features turned on. I installed all my programs this way - with zero problems. So, I don't think it is anti virus software interference.

I noticed that Windows Defender - will turn itself OFF once it sees another anti-virus software in the system.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff_C
    replied
    Reading through the thread I cannot establish that Edius was installed with the AV turned off. You appear to have 2 AV on board. Maybe you turned 'avast' off to install Edius but the action of turning one AV off may have allowed the first AV to commence running. I'm pretty sure many users install with the AV on despite recommendations on the Edius forum not to do so. Likewise many use Edius without adding exclusions to the AV.
    Perhaps reinstalling Edius with no AV running may be easy & quick to do.

I feel your frustration.

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    I am sorry to learn about that.

This Lenovo P72 is 17 inches - weighs a ton, but I had zero problems with it so far.

I don't think the issue is EDIUS now ... it looks like EDIUS but - it might be EDIUS talking to a Windows driver - and the driver causes the break - making it appear like EDIUS causing it. Because there is no dump taken by EDIUS - and even if there is one - the previous dump that Anton displays out - it is looking more like Windows issue.

You can do two things - download the EDIUS 8.53 installer from Grass Valley and re-install it. And you can download all the ASUS specific drivers from their website and re-install the device drivers.

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    ANTON just crashed again and the Grass Valley Local Temp file doesn't have a dump file :(

Leave a comment:

Working...
X