Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius 8 Pro constantly crashing (new problem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BernH
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    when you buy a new car, there is a 90% chance you will have some warranty repairs in the very early stages

quality is not what it used to be

that is why I build all computers from quality parts that I know are reliable from years of testing and using, I would never buy a ready made PC from a shop
    I agree, I do the same thing. Like you, I used to build, sell and service NLE's, and train the users. I haven't bought an off the shelf system in over 20 years, as I prefer to use only parts I trust.

In this case though, it is a laptop, so off the shelf is the only option. However, sometimes there are still better choices in these. I have always tended to shy away from brands like Dell, IBM/Lenovo, and HP/Compaq, as they often tend to do some funny things with the hardware configurations.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    when you buy a new car, there is a 90% chance you will have some warranty repairs in the very early stages

quality is not what it used to be

that is why I build all computers from quality parts that I know are reliable from years of testing and using, I would never buy a ready made PC from a shop

Leave a comment:

• BernH
    replied
    one of my customers bought a $4k laptop from Dell and one week after, the bottom third of the UHD screen turned mosaic and had to be replaced

the finger print reader stopped working on day two and Dell have not been able to fix that at this stage
    It is possible to get defective out of the box for sure. I have seen it several times over the years, but it doesn't happen often.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by BernH View Post
    Since this is a new laptop, hardware failure is probably not the issue.
    one of my customers bought a $4k laptop from Dell and one week after, the bottom third of the UHD screen turned mosaic and had to be replaced

the finger print reader stopped working on day two and Dell have not been able to fix that at this stage

in other words, new means nothing these days

Leave a comment:

• BernH
    replied
    I was only curious why anyone would use Opera instead of going to one?
    For those of us that don't enjoy going to the opera, using it is the next best thing. ;)

(Not all of us can see the most famous opera house in the world when we look out the bedroom window to fuel the desire to go.)

Leave a comment:

• BernH
    replied
    lets wait for malwarebytes scan results, I think she is infected with something

Quite Possible. That's why I suggested a malware scan in post #2.

Oddball problems, if not fixed by a reboot/reset, are often indicative of failing hardware or malware/virus activity, unless the user has been "under the hood" tinkering with stuff they don't understand. Since this is a new laptop, hardware failure is probably not the issue.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    lets wait for malwarebytes scan results, I think she is infected with something

Leave a comment:

• BernH
    replied
    you are running two antivirus programs, the default Windows Defender and AVAST, get rid of AVAST, uninstall it

you are also running Opera Browser, any reason for that?

can you do a scan of your PC with Malwarebytes free (but exit malwarebytes from taskbar when done, and do not set it to autostart with Windows)
    Anton, just as an FYI, I run Avast (free version) with no problems, and I also run Opera with no problems. If a virus scanner installs correctly and Win10 doesn't misbehave, BitDefender should end up being disabled automatically, leaving only avast, avg, eset, etc. as the running scanner. Seeing BitDefender still running is not normal and potentially a problem.

Opera is just a chrome based browser that has a few nice features that chrome doesn't. I have been running it for close on 20 years (long before it became chrome based) with no issues.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by tryingtolearn View Post
    Anton I followed the screenshot path you showed and it had one dump file from today so I have added it to this dropbox folder along with the crash report

I hope it gives some insight
    thanks Anton https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hi4im10o9...ObMZ1IDta?dl=0

you are running two antivirus programs, the default Windows Defender and AVAST, get rid of AVAST, uninstall it

you are also running Opera Browser, any reason for that?

can you do a scan of your PC with Malwarebytes free (but exit malwarebytes from taskbar when done, and do not set it to autostart with Windows)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak_HD
    replied
    Been following this thread for a while now, and unfortunately I have no solution but was wondering, with so many possibilities tried and failed, would it not be possible that a bad ram maybe the culprit.

As the crashing is not sonstant with exact operation could it be a problematic video ram or system ram address?

So far this seems to be a pretty isolated case as I personally have no knowledge of anyone with Edius crashing.

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    Anton I followed the screenshot path you showed and it had one dump file from today so I have added it to this dropbox folder along with the crash report

I hope it gives some insight
    thanks Anton https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hi4im10o9...ObMZ1IDta?dl=0

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    I was so desperately hoping that we fixed the problem, but it just crashed just now while trying to edit color in a video.

I've attached a screenshot. I checked temp files last week and there was nothing from edius - no dump file - the crash report is the zip files i uploaded but its creating a new one now so i can upload that again, but the temp folder doesn't show anything from edius
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    He might have to list out his environment variables to see where the TEMP and TMP directories are assigned to. Use 'System Properties' and then the Environment Variables option. There are two sets of TEMP/TMP - one for the user under which he signs on to - and the other one under System variables. They might be different for him.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by tryingtolearn View Post
    Hey Anton, when I search the TEMP folder for EDIUScrash.dmp it says "No items match your search'

I don't have any folders in there named Edius of GV
    look for a folder inside Temp called Grass Valley CrashDump

be sure you are in the correct Temp folder
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tryingtolearn
    replied
    UPDATE before I had turned off the fast start in the windows settings, but I missed the step somebody else suggested about disabling fast start in the bios

I disabled that then launched Edius and added monotone to an 8 minute video compiled of about 200 clips and it paused for 10 seconds but did not crash..

hopefully that is the fix but I will keep you posted

I should be doing a lot of video editing this week and next.. I would still like to figure out where my crash log files are...

thank you everyone so far.. hopefully this is the solution but will keep you updated

Leave a comment:

Working...
X