X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcast Legal colour tests with Edius

Hello

Project UHD 50p Edius 9WG

Using QC Tools version 1 as the tester on exported footage from Edius.

In QC tools double click on a frame to open the frame viewer. Set show illegal focus in drop down menu, frame goes black and just shows the broadcast illegal pixels, white or black. No errors on whites.

Quick Titler appears to produce illegal blacks but only round character edges on luminance.

Chroma key is exactly the same i.e. only on the edges of the key.

These are not resolved with safe colour in for example colour balance filter in Edius it doesn't seem to clip the blacks enough. Can that be looked at?

It is tough for the PC to edit XAVC L material applying the broadcast safe LUT in Primary Colour Correction in UHD, especially as checking the GPU assist on for PCC makes it slower, despite GPU activity showing as assisting. It would be good if the safe colour worked better.

Mike
    Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 72 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

You may recall the gamut thread from 2016. This led to Rob developing the excellent RGB gamut filter.
    I don't think safe colour has ever worked on chroma. However one of the interesting things that Rob discovered is that just adding the OFX filter as is, often does just enough to correct gamut. Remember that 1% of illegal pixels is allowed under EBU R103.

Comment

Yes thanks Dave

If I apply the RGB clipper LUT or the Broadcast safe LUT in PCC onto a JPEG the background is no loner as black as it should be on the TV or the computer monitor.

Mike
      Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 72 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

I confess to being a realist not a perfectionist. You are wanting Broadcast Safe. RGB Gamut has given me the confidence to identify, fix and know that I am broadcast safe. When I see the QC Pass on the Honeycomb Vidchecker screen, I'm happy, the client is happy and the ad agency are happy when they get the delivery report. When has a client ever complained that the blacks weren't right on his ad?
        I think all of the broadcast luts were work in progress. What happens if your Jpgs are pngs?

Comment

Working...
        X