Proxy error - Reached the end of the file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy error - Reached the end of the file

I have created literally thousands of proxies of 4K files in the last week or so, with no problems, but I have 32 clips that won't cooperate. The Background Job status field tells me "Error: Reached the end of the file" - anyone know what that might mean?

The files are from the same cameras, in exactly the same format as the other thousands of clips, so I fail to understand what is so special about these 32 clips. In fact, some of the problematic clips are from a long interview, of which some clips did yield a proxy just fine, but most did not. However, the ones that did work are not adjacent clips - the first one failed, the second one worked, #3-4 failed, but #5 worked; 6-7 failed again, but 8 worked again and so on.

I suppose an obvious workaround to try would be to convert these clips to 4K HQX or something, and then try again, but if there is an obvious solution that escapes me, I'd love to find out.
    Desktop: Edius 8.50 WG/Win 7 Pro/HP Z620/Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz/16GB RAM/NVIDIA Quadro 4000/Storm 3G

Laptop: 8.50 WG/Win 10 Home/ASUS ROG G751/Intel i7-4710HQ @ 2.50GHz/16GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

An update - converting in the bin to HQX does not work either. Same error message: "Reached the end of the file. (0x80070026)".
    Desktop: Edius 8.50 WG/Win 7 Pro/HP Z620/Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz/16GB RAM/NVIDIA Quadro 4000/Storm 3G

Laptop: 8.50 WG/Win 10 Home/ASUS ROG G751/Intel i7-4710HQ @ 2.50GHz/16GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

Comment

Did you import the files trough the source browser?
      Reason I ask that they could be spanned clips which are not brought in with their metadata.

Can you tell me which camera the assets are from?
      Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
      EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

I think the clips in question are in fact corrupt. The all start playing back fine in Edius/Mync, but will drop video before the natural end of the clip. Oddly, the errors are there on some clips, but not necessarily the adjacent clips. They are all Canon 5D MkIV 4K clips at about 500Mbps, and all from one camera/card. All other clips (around 4,000 of them) from the same multiple-camera shoot are fine.

The clips I'm working with are 2nd or 3rd generation copies of the originals, so I'm having a producer trying to track down earlier copies. If memory serves me right, I've heard reports of intermittent issues (e.g. random hits) when copying data via a malfunctioning (though not obviously so) USB/Thunderbolt port. If that were the culprit, I'd expect to see it in more clips than just these 32, but worth checking out. Fortunately, none of these are indispensable clips.

Comment

as already asked by Steve, did you use source browser to add and transfer the files from card to project folder? This will stitch spanned clips and then they should work fine
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I did not use the Source Browser for any of the thousands of clips for this project. In fact, I don't recall ever using the Source Browser for 5D clips, only P2.

But it looks to me as if these 32 clips are just faulty files, as they are not adjacent clips. Some of them are from the same interview (though again skipping clips), but others are just random shots of broll, where the picture starts playing fine, but drops out before the end of the clip.

If there was a systematic error in my importing method, I would expect to see the errors more frequently throughout the large amount of clips. In this case they are limited to one card from one camera from one shoot day, and even then only some of the clips are affected.

In any case, I can run a test in a little bit to see if bringing in the interview clips via the SB makes a difference.

Comment

Quick check.
              Are any of the 'faulty' clips approaching 3.8Gb in size? If so the clips may have been split in camera and you will need to import them correctly into Edius.
              Sys1: Gigabyte Z370 HD3 i7 8086K(4.3Ghz), 16Gb ram, 256Gb SSD system + 2x2Tb video drives, Graphics: nVidia 1060, (W10 Pro) BM IP4K, E8v3 WG; Vegas Pro18; DVD Architec,t 5.2 GH2(hacked), Pana HC-X2000E, GoPro5
              Sys2 :Clevo i7 6700K 2.5Ghz,16Gb ram 2565Gb SSD + 1Tb, (W10 Pro), Software: E8v3 WG; Vegas Pro17

Comment

Some clips approach the 4GB mark, but most do not. As much as I can tell, all of the ones that do came out fine; it's the smaller ones that fail.

Some of these failed clips come from a long interview, where you would expect just about every clip to be in the 4GB range, as the maximum file size has been reached, and a new clip has created, as the interview goes along. Indeed, all the clips from the interview are about 1 minute and three seconds long, yet a good half of them have nowhere near 4GB of data - the failed ones are between 82MB and about 3GB, yet have equal running length. The ones that reach 4GB play in full all the way through, and their proxies get normally generated. The ones that didn't reach 4GB invariably fail.

I haven't used Mync much at all, but I did try to create a catalogue, and import all the interview clips from the faulty card (including the good ones, of course) into the catalogue, and then in Edius import that catalogue into bin. It seems to work fine, though all the clips appear individually, not like a spanned P2 clip would. And the faulty clips of the batch still display the same errors.

I couldn't get the clips to show up any other way in the Source Browser, but I may be doing something wrong. I thought I might be able to import the clips through the Removable Media folder, but couldn't get them to show up.

Comment

spanned P2 clips need to be added to the bin via source browser in order to get stitched, otherwise you have files with missing headers

example, if a clip is 6GB with will be split into a 4GB clip and a 2GB clip, only the 2GB clip will contain file header info as this is placed at the end of the file
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X