Converting HQ to mp4 motion artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting HQ to mp4 motion artifacts

I'm using Edius 6.08 and uploading to youtube. My original method was to create the video and export as a HQ file and then import that into Staxrip to convert to mp4 using the x264 codec.

Problem is that I get very noticable jagged edges on any movement in the final video. I'm shooting 1080 50p footage from Panasonic G9 and various other Panasonic cameras. I'm editing in 1080i timeline. When I play through the timeline on my desktop there are no jagged edges.

I then tried exporting directly from Edius as mp4 files. These are cleaner as far as jagged edges are concerned but they're a little mushy as far as quality is concerned. Also the fade to black transitions are not great.

Can anyone give me some advice on this issue. Would I get better results with a later version of Edius ...??

youtube will convert anything you upload, so you may as well upload HQX files (if the project is not hours)

you can also upload mpeg2 program stream, very good and fast export from EDIUS

for best mp4, use Handbrake
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thanks Anton.

Do you normally load HQ into Handbrake ...??

Comment

I don't use HQ or HQX in Handbrake because I work fast, so I use mpeg2 HD program streams 4:2:2 50mbps which makes Handbrake work 3 times faster in encoding

However, if your source is 4k, you need to use HQX
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Just one more question Anton.

Do you think the mp4 exporter in the later editions of Edius are much improved from Edius 6 ...??

Comment

yes, the mp4 exporter is much improved, but not as good and fast as Handbrake at this stage
            Anton Strauss

Comment

Handbreak would do better deinterlacing from a 50i clip then EDIUS, however, you could edit at 50P and upload 50P to YouTube.
              EDIUS silver certified trainer.
              Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
              Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
              Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Thank you David

Comment

I had a 4K 25p driving through the Rainforest clip that I wanted to export out to H.264 for YT. Could not get a good H.264 encode so I just exported out a HQX clip and ran it through Handbreak to get a 35mbps 4kUHD H.265 clip for YT. It looks very good indeed. YT can take H.265 clips no probs.
                  Win 10 pro, Intel Core i7 8700K, ASRock Z370 Extreme 4, 16 GIGs Corsair Vengeance 3000 Ram, Single SATA drives, Nvidia GTX 560.
                  www.flykam.com.au www.wagscapes.com.au

Comment

YT can also handle HQ/X for anyone who doesn't have any file size or upload speed/bandwidth issues. This will also mean the best possible picture quality from an Edius project. As Anton has said.

If file size is an issue and a target of 35Mb/s is what's needed for a h.264 YT intermediate, then it's highly unlikely that there'll be any difference between using Edius or any X264 based encoder. The only benefit to going outside of Edius for that type of stuff, is if you are wanting better handling of interlacing etc. As David Clarke has said.

The only real benefit for using anything outside of Edius for h.264 is concerned (aside from interlace stuff) is for low bandwidth/bitrates stuff, which is where X264 can be a better option with the right settings. This can also benefit authoring streams for BD.

Edius really does have a very good h.264 encoder (two options) for progressive material, even at modest bitrates.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Well my 4k HQX file came in at 137 gigs so not going to load that to YT.
                      Handbreak converted it to 4k - 9.50 gig H.265, quality is amazing.

I could not get the same quality using H.264 with EDIUS or the TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC even at 35mbps. It was a 4K camera mounted on front of a 4x4 and Adventure bike {Africa Twin} traveling through the forests. Just too much detail to compress I guess.
                      Win 10 pro, Intel Core i7 8700K, ASRock Z370 Extreme 4, 16 GIGs Corsair Vengeance 3000 Ram, Single SATA drives, Nvidia GTX 560.

Comment

Did you not try to do the H.265 directly from the Edius timeline? Your 8700k has the capability.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com
                        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Yes I have the 8700k but still on Version 8.53 Workgroup here, you need 9 to export H.265 right?

Comment

I wouldn't advise h.265 unless it's for yourself and you can play it back, or if you know that where ever it is going to it will be able to get played.

h.264 is the safest option for general compatibility, especially for 4K, UHD and HFR and MPEG2 is almost guaranteed as far as compatibility is concerned for HD and below.

The main issue with all this stuff is compatibility. H.265 is better for many reasons, not least of all for smaller high quality files at high resolutions and frame rates. But if you're not sure where it's going, it could be a real issue.

BTW. What I've just said isn't to do with any comments in this post, it's just advice for anyone who reads this post and who isn't completely sure of what to use.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Working...
                            X